R5/R6 IBIS effectiveness ratings seem to be all over the board

rosw

EOS R
Sep 13, 2012
In the B&H Q&A panel Rudy Winston from Canon said the following:
  • The stops are measured by the CIPA standard
  • EF and RF non-IS lenses will get a menu entry for IBIS
  • EF and RF IS lenses won’t get a menu entry, IBIS is controlled by the IS switch on the lens
  • EF IS will work ‘simultaneously’ with IBIS
  • RF IS will work ‘in conjunction’ with IBIS
One of the Canon USA promo clips had a disclaimer saying any IS lens announced before July 9th will need a firmware update.

My interpretation is that for EF IS lenses, IBIS will only do rotation compensation, not shake compensation. For some select EF lenses you’ll get a firmware update to enable full IBIS, my guess would be the 2018 400mm and 600mm, since those seem to have RF style electronics already.
I hope the 100mm macro also gets a firmware update and full IBIS :)

thanks thanks for your reply,
least some answers from "official canon staff"

so for third party OEM lens with IS (also need a "firm ware update" , if they can crack the code

cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
if i use a gimbal together with EOS R with the approved RF IS lens (eg 8.0 EV 24-70mm F2.8L / 85mm F1.2L / 85mm F2 Macro) , can i achieve more than 8 Stop of Shake stabilization?
Good question. They are two independent systems so one would assume the answer would be yes, but how much. I don't recall gimbals being rated in stops. :unsure: In my mind the gimbal is addressing some very large movements compared to the camera and is doing things like maintaining a particular position or level. Hopefully someone can illuminate us.

Jack

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
if i use a gimbal together with EOS R with the approved RF IS lens (eg 8.0 EV 24-70mm F2.8L / 85mm F1.2L / 85mm F2 Macro) , can i achieve more than 8 Stop of Shake stabilization?

There's a really short comparison between is, ibis and gimbal and everything combined in this video: Vistek R5 &R6, around the 6:00 mark.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
More Rudy talking about IBIS at the 29:11 mark. His remarks about "low speed and video" stabilization on EF IS lenses seem to confirm my suspicion that it won't do shake correction on those, only rotation. The support for low frequency things like breathing is a nice extra :)
You also can find Canon staff making the opposite claim. See after 2:50 in this:

If my English isn't deceiving me here, he says IBIS corrects for horizontal and vertical movement as well as roll when using an IS EF lens.

I am personally trying to keep away from any further coverage. At this point it seems to me that there is too much info floating around, that can't be verified yet. And it is very hard to see what claims people are making is based on what.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
In the B&H Q&A panel Rudy Winston from Canon said the following:
  • The stops are measured by the CIPA standard
  • EF and RF non-IS lenses will get a menu entry for IBIS
  • EF and RF IS lenses won’t get a menu entry, IBIS is controlled by the IS switch on the lens
  • EF IS will work ‘simultaneously’ with IBIS
  • RF IS will work ‘in conjunction’ with IBIS
One of the Canon USA promo clips had a disclaimer saying any IS lens announced before July 9th will need a firmware update.

My interpretation is that for EF IS lenses, IBIS will only do rotation compensation, not shake compensation. For some select EF lenses you’ll get a firmware update to enable full IBIS, my guess would be the 2018 400mm and 600mm, since those seem to have RF style electronics already.
I hope the 100mm macro also gets a firmware update and full IBIS :)

Hmm...I'd never knows that you could update EF lens firmware?!?!?!?

I learn something new every day I guess. So, do EF lenses have a port on them or something you plug into?
Have there been many updates for EF lenses?

Anyone have a link to EF lens updates?

I know the cameras and do updates, although I"ve never updated the firmware on my 5D3, I plan to look into trying that one weekend here soon, but I'd never heard the lenses themselves are updatable...

Thanks in advance,

C

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hmm...I'd never knows that you could update EF lens firmware?!?!?!?

I learn something new every day I guess. So, do EF lenses have a port on them or something you plug into?
Have there been many updates for EF lenses?[..]

It's through the camera, just put the firmware on the memory card and go into the update menu.

[..]Anyone have a link to EF lens updates?[..[

More here.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It's through the camera, just put the firmware on the memory card and go into the update menu.

More here.

OH thank you!!

Well, as I'd mentioned, I'd never updated the 5D3....so, guessing I may update a LOT at once, might be good for a rainy weekend.
:)
I'll have to see if the updates are cumulative, etc....and which ones to get.

I'd always thought about putting Magic Lantern on the 5D3, and I believe back when I read that, you couldn't do the latest firmware update for the camera, you had to be 1-2 version behind.

I dunno if ML is still a thing anymore or not, I'll look but guessing at this point, I'll just do the latest and greatest for the 5D3 and then look into the lens upgrades on the camera.

Thanks for all the great info!!

C

Upvote 0