R5 recommended gear questions

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
So ... put the down payment for an R5 order.. purchased an RF 24-70 2.8 IS... while I wait, have questions on recommended gear from those who have one.

- EF adaptor.. native canon or one of the 'breakthrought' ones? thoughts? anyone have some?
- Is there a preferred CFExpress card? and paired SD card?
- Battery grip... thoughts? I have 3 Canon LP-E6N batteries and it will come with a LP-E6NH.. can battery grips use a mix?
- anything else I should consider buying when it arrives?

Reactions: 1 user

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
So ... put the down payment for an R5 order.. purchased an RF 24-70 2.8 IS... while I wait, have questions on recommended gear from those who have one.

- EF adaptor.. native canon or one of the 'breakthrought' ones? thoughts? anyone have some?
- Is there a preferred CFExpress card? and paired SD card?
- Battery grip... thoughts? I have 3 Canon LP-E6N batteries and it will come with a LP-E6NH.. can battery grips use a mix?
- anything else I should consider buying when it arrives?
I'm happy with the Prograde 325GB CFexpress Cobalt card. On the R5 I recorded a test 8K raw video to fill one up and it took 16.5 minutes with no overheating. Also have their 256GB SDXC V90 II card which works fine.

The RF 15-35 f2.8 is really great as is the RF 70-200 f2.8 and I expect the same for RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1.

Also, I like to protect my expensive lenses from dust/prints/scratches with the best clear filter you can get, and I prefer B+W XS Pro Nano ones. I also get that type in C-Polarizers if I want one of them. I don't think it's good to put an "ordinary / freebie" filter on a really extraordinary lens, but to each their own.

One more thing: Get your lenses through CPW (Canon Price Watch). You can save a lot of money on new lenses in the US & Canada (same full warranty for the combined area).

Enjoy - once you get used to the menus, I think you'll really love it with their stellar lenses!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
If you have no EF glass, an adapter is a moot point. I got rid of my adapter with the R since I'm fully vested in RF glass now.

I went with the ProGrade 325GB Cobalt CFX + 256 V90 UHS-II. So far so good.

The 3 lenses you listed will fill out the focal ranges nicely... the 15-35 is last on my list. Also the 50/85mm F1.2 primes are pretty awesome... but would go w/ the zooms first (I can believe the usable night time images I get off the 50). And this is all totally blind since I don't know your workflow...

For UV + CPL filters... I've been using the ones in the 'freebie kit' ones when buying from Adorama (since same price as lens alone)... specifically the Hoya NXT Plus UV + CPL and they have been working good. Just make sure you're looking at the "with Filter Kit" option, the ones in the main kit are junk.

For ND Filters (something new I'm been getting into), I found the Freewell's Variable ND's to be good so far (1-5 + 6-10).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I'm happy with the Prograde 320GB CFexpress Cobalt card. On the R5 I recorded a test 8K raw video to fill one up and it took 16.5 minutes with no overheating.

The RF 15-35 f2.8 is really great as is the RF 70-200 f2.8 and I expect the same for RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1.

Also, I like to protect my expensive lenses from dust/prints/scratches with the best clear filter you can get, and I prefer B+W XS Pro Nano ones. I also get that type in C-Polarizers if I want one of them.

One more thing: Get your lenses through CPW (Canon Price Watch). You can save a lot of money on new lenses in the US & Canada (same full warranty for the combined area).

Enjoy - once you get used to the menus, I think you'll really love it with their stellar lenses!

yeah I'm tossed on filters on front. I best get one I guess, but I find for some types of photography it can create reflective artifacts so I avoid it.. but I might again.

thanks, seems like the prograde cobalt is the defacto leader at moment? keep seeing everyone mention them.

I'll take a look at canon price watch, but I have been leaning to just buying local due to covid. I'd like to see local shops survive.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Smart purchase for general photography. One can do a lot with that one lens (landscapes, portraits).

In answer to your questions:

1) To second the advice unless you own EF glass an adapter does not make sense. If you do own EF glass I would recommend the Canon EF to R adapter with the control ring for $199 list price; recently they have been out of stock, but be patient.

2) I use Sony Tough G cards for both CFExpress and SD slots. I have also heard very good things about ProGrade Cobalt cards.

3) I find the vertical battery grip very useful from both an ergonomic and battery life perspective. The R5 does go through batteries so I would trade in your current batteries for 2-3 new high capacity batteries if / when funds allow. I looked through the Advance Users Guide for the R5 in the sections labeled battery information using a vertical grip; neither section mentioned any issues with mixing batteries so I don't think there should be an issue. Maybe there would be a hit in performance (e.g. maximum frame rate) using the batteries with lower power LP-E6N batteries? I don't know.

4) In terms of other additions I would add additional lens depending on what type of photography you do. The RF 70-200 mm f2.8 is exceptionally compact and lightweight compared to its EF cousin. If you are more into wildlife, the 100-500 mm might make more sense especially when combined with the R5 in APS-C mode where the 500 mm lens will provide you with a 800 mm field of view and ~17 MP on the subject.

Best of luck,
John

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
If you have no EF glass, an adapter is a moot point. I got rid of my adapter with the R since I'm fully vested in RF glass now.

I went with the ProGrade 325GB Cobalt CFX + 256 V90 UHS-II. So far so good.

The 3 lenses you listed will fill out the focal ranges nicely... the 15-35 is last on my list. Also the 50/85mm F1.2 primes are pretty awesome... but would go w/ the zooms first (I can believe the usable night time images I get off the 50). And this is all totally blind since I don't know your workflow...

For UV + CPL filters... I've been using the ones in the 'freebie kit' ones when buying from Adorama (since same price as lens alone)... specifically the Hoya NXT Plus UV + CPL and they have been working good. Just make sure you're looking at the "with Filter Kit" option, the ones in the main kit are junk.

For ND Filters (something new I'm been getting into), I found the Freewell's Variable ND's to be good so far (1-5 + 6-10).

buying locally (to support local shops) so no free filters.. bit phobic ordering from B&H and Adorama, had too many negative shipping experiences across borders.

eventually I hope to get the holy trinity, but I do have a fair bit of EF glass .. some canon (180mm L macro, 70-200 2.8IS v1), some sigma (35mm 1.4, 20mm 1.4, 150-600mm) so do want a converter, hence the question. I did buy the biggest workhorse (24-70 2.8L IS RF) as RF since my current workhorse is crop (17-55 2.8 IS).. since I do need the adaptor, especially with the 20 mm 1.4 sigma having a curved front, I was wondering about the RF's capability of a filter on the adapter..

workflow is hobby... pretty much everything, but I do a lot of band shots in low light pubs.. hence wide primes... but I also like wildlife, portraits, kids, airshows, etc... R5 is first that seems to really hit pretty much everything.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Smart purchase for general photography. One can do a lot with that one lens (landscapes, portraits).

In answer to your questions:

1) To second the advice unless you own EF glass an adapter does not make sense. If you do own EF glass I would recommend the Canon EF to R adapter with the control ring for $199 list price; recently they have been out of stock, but be patient.

2) I use Sony Tough G cards for both CFExpress and SD slots. I have also heard very good things about ProGrade Cobalt cards.

3) I find the vertical battery grip very useful from both an ergonomic and battery life perspective. The R5 does go through batteries so I would trade in your current batteries for 2-3 new high capacity batteries if / when funds allow. I looked through the Advance Users Guide for the R5 in the sections labeled battery information using a vertical grip; neither section mentioned any issues with mixing batteries so I don't think there should be an issue. Maybe there would be a hit in performance (e.g. maximum frame rate) using the batteries with lower power LP-E6N batteries? I don't know.

4) In terms of other additions I would add additional lens depending on what type of photography you do. The RF 70-200 mm f2.8 is exceptionally compact and lightweight compared to its EF cousin. If you are more into wildlife, the 100-500 mm might make more sense especially when combined with the R5 in APS-C mode where the 500 mm lens will provide you with a 800 mm field of view and ~17 MP on the subject.

Best of luck,
John

yes the 24-70 2.8 IS RF was a no-brainer as a start.. though I was tempted by the 28-70 2.0... but wanted the IS and slightly wider shots.

yeah on the battery grip and performance.. heard that the R5 and even Sony's the shutter speed goes down if it's below 70%? I get trying to save batter life, but it should be a programmable choice.. I'd prefer to carry extra batteries and keep performing at full until drained. Must be something to the choice, but would be great if that could be done as a firmware fix as it seems to me that'd be a software programming choice. Hope it can mix,.. with OVF vs EVF on my 80D the 6Ns last well for me.. afraid the R5 will chew through, but hoping 2 on a battery grip (mixed) would get me through, hence hte question.

long term looming at the 500 with a 2x might be worth it given the 800 F11 seems to work well.. but for now I would stick to my sigma 150-600

Upvote 0
There is only one Canon site that provides approved CFe cards
https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...r_products/content/faq/?itemid=tcm:13-1997134
That said, people have found the Sandisk 128GB CFe card to work okay. I went with Sony Tough myself.
The manual has the requirements for SD cards for different movie modes with V ratings. Very variable and different UHS-II cards have different sustained write speeds. I went with Sandisk 128GB extreme pro
See the following for sites that actually measure write speeds for different cards:
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sd-memory-card-faq/fastest-memory-card/

If you have EF lens then get the canon r mount adapter - although there appears to be shortages at the moment. Not too expensive and you want full weather proofing. I am yet to get used to the control ring so I didn't get the control ring adapter. You get 3 wheels already + joystick but people customise the ring for different functions (see manual for options). Drop in filter is useful if you have TS lens or EF 11-24mm where front filters are difficult.

I only have one RF lens and the 70-200mm is remarkable. The rest are EF lens and I don't have compelling reason to replace them for some time or perhaps when there are good specials. Still weighing up options for longer focal lengths... the RF100-500mm is way overpriced so a EF100-400mm II + 1.4x TC (especially second hand) will probably be my next move.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
yes the 24-70 2.8 IS RF was a no-brainer as a start.. though I was tempted by the 28-70 2.0... but wanted the IS and slightly wider shots.

But you have a R5, so you get IS on either. It was a struggle for me too, however I decided on the latter since the 15-35 2.8 covers that range. Back when I had my R, I just used the kit 24-105 F4 (and the 50 1.2) till I could make up my mind... but back then it was IS vs non-IS. Now it's not an issue.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
There is only one Canon site that provides approved CFe cards
https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...r_products/content/faq/?itemid=tcm:13-1997134
That said, people have found the Sandisk 128GB CFe card to work okay. I went with Sony Tough myself.
The manual has the requirements for SD cards for different movie modes with V ratings. Very variable and different UHS-II cards have different sustained write speeds. I went with Sandisk 128GB extreme pro
See the following for sites that actually measure write speeds for different cards:
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sd-memory-card-faq/fastest-memory-card/

If you have EF lens then get the canon r mount adapter - although there appears to be shortages at the moment. Not too expensive and you want full weather proofing. I am yet to get used to the control ring so I didn't get the control ring adapter. You get 3 wheels already + joystick but people customise the ring for different functions (see manual for options). Drop in filter is useful if you have TS lens or EF 11-24mm where front filters are difficult.

I only have one RF lens and the 70-200mm is remarkable. The rest are EF lens and I don't have compelling reason to replace them for some time or perhaps when there are good specials. Still weighing up options for longer focal lengths... the RF100-500mm is way overpriced so a EF100-400mm II + 1.4x TC (especially second hand) will probably be my next move.

I was lacking the 24-70 on full frame, only had 17-55 on crop. I do have a 1st gen 70-200 L 2.8IS so not yet motivated by the RF version.. while it looks fantastic, kind of bummed it won't take a TC. Anyways have enough EF mounted glass to not rush into lenses, so not looking for those recommendations, but some basics.

yeah the weather sealing is a consideration on the adapter... I have thought on it long and hard don't believe the added control ring brings me value either. But getting some filters inline for some various EF lenses might have value

I do not really do video other than my kids from time to time (no need for 8k) so no need for fastest CFExpress. I have had issues with Sony's in the past.. would consider the cobalt, but wow.. that price.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
But you have a R5, so you get IS on either. It was a struggle for me too, however I decided on the latter since the 15-35 2.8 covers that range. Back when I had my R, I just used the kit 24-105 F4 (and the 50 1.2) till I could make up my mind... but back then it was IS vs non-IS. Now it's not an issue.

IBIS helps for sure, but IS will work in conjunction.. I do tend to do a lot of low light stuff, so having every bit of help... helps.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
IBIS helps for sure, but IS will work in conjunction.. I do tend to do a lot of low light stuff, so having every bit of help... helps.

IS/IBIS helps to get rid of the photographers movements... where-as the extra F-Stop will help w/ low light (as long as you are ok w/ F2). Granted IS/IBIS can afford to lower the shutter speed (to assist in low light)... but it's still just to assist in removing your movement.

However, according to... https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/product-1/pdfs/PDP-CHARTS_IS.pdf
...both RF 24-70 2.8 w/IS+IBIS & 28-70 F2 w/IBIS have 8 stops of correction on the R5.

But it's really just a matter of choice... I thought really long about the direction I wanted to go w/ my lenses. But it's my route, and I'm not even sure it's going to be the best yet for me... much less for someone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
IS/IBIS helps to get rid of the photographers movements... where-as the extra F-Stop will help w/ low light.

According to... https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/product-1/pdfs/PDP-CHARTS_IS.pdf
... both RF 24-70 2.8 IS & 28-70 F2 have 8 stops of correction w/ IBIS.

very familiar with the distinction :) currently use a 1.4 lenses for action shots in low light (20mm, 35mm and 50mm) on an 80D. Partially what tempted me with the 28-70 2.0, but I wanted a workhorse lens and in the end chose the RF 24-70 2.8IS for possible 5-10min low light video work.. bands have been asking me to film them from time to time. I also get a bit lazy on bracing myself when trying to photograph my kids indoors and that blur is my own movement. There are also times when I need a bit more depth of field (multiple folks) and can't afford the more open aperture.

Full frame with more usable ISO + high FPS will also help.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
IS/IBIS helps to get rid of the photographers movements... where-as the extra F-Stop will help w/ low light (as long as you are ok w/ F2). Granted IS/IBIS can afford to lower the shutter speed (to assist in low light)... but it's still just to assist in removing your movement.

However, according to... https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/product-1/pdfs/PDP-CHARTS_IS.pdf
...both RF 24-70 2.8 w/IS+IBIS & 28-70 F2 w/IBIS have 8 stops of correction on the R5.

But it's really just a matter of choice... I thought really long about the direction I wanted to go w/ my lenses. But it's my route, and I'm not even sure it's going to be the best yet for me... much less for someone else.

I don't have permission for that file. Is it hosted at some strange place? Only for good photographers?

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
very familiar with the distinction :) currently use a 1.4 lenses for action shots in low light (20mm, 35mm and 50mm) on an 80D. Partially what tempted me with the 28-70 2.0, but I wanted a workhorse lens and in the end chose the RF 24-70 2.8IS for possible 5-10min low light video work.. bands have been asking me to film them from time to time. I also get a bit lazy on bracing myself when trying to photograph my kids indoors and that blur is my own movement. There are also times when I need a bit more depth of field (multiple folks) and can't afford the more open aperture.

Full frame with more usable ISO + high FPS will also help.

Sorry, I wasn't implying you didn't. The point I was trying to make was that both lens net the same IS correction values (according to spec). Me personally, the 28-70 is as close to a bunch of primes in one as we can get. I guess I'm a bit lazy in that I don't want to carry glass for a focal length I already have covered... and don't want to be switching out to fast primes unless I have a 'real' need for it (only have one anyways). I even debated skipping this range altogether and just using my 50... but a lot of places I shoot in my foot zoom is restricted so felt is was better to go w/ a zoom.

I guess we'll have to compare notes in a few months (if I get it by then...backordered).

Upvote 0