R6 AF vs R5 , and other comparisons

Dec 13, 2010
Hi guys!

I’m sitting here very excited about the new R5 and R6 and had my mind set on an R5 until I saw the price where I live.

what I wanted in an upgrade over the R is;

much improved and snappier AF
Better weather sealing
IBIS
Faster fps.

and looking at those things I can see the R6 might just be good enough, the question I can’t seem to find myself is;

Is the AF EXACTLY the same on the two, or are they “comparable” at best like the 1dx2 and 5d4?

Is the R6 better sealed than the R? Is it the same as the R5?

where can I find all the detailed specs, it seems like everyone says something slightly different, even in the Event stream...

and I wonder how much I will notice the downgrade in screen res.

going to 20mp from 30mp is no big deal for me. I rather do that than handle 45mp files.

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The AF between the R5 and R6 is exactly the same. Weather sealing between R and R6 is the same at "6D level" according to canon. R5 has "5D level" sealing.
Can you name the source?

There is a ton of information floating around, and a lot of it is vague at best. Some is simply wrong.

Where are you basing your claim on?

After all the AF does definitely not behave exactly the same, since the R5 only focusses down to EV - 6 vs EV - 6.5 in the R6. Source for this are the official spec sheets.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Can you name the source?

There is a ton of information floating around, and a lot of it is vague at best. Some is simply wrong.

Where are you basing your claim on?

After all the AF does definitely not behave exactly the same, since the R5 only focusses down to EV - 6 vs EV - 6.5 in the R6. Source for this are the official spec sheets.
Yes the EV is slightly different, but number of focus points etc. Is the same.

It was all in a PDF named "R5 Improvements" which outlined all of the various specs and compared R5 to R6. The link was posted in another thread.. sorry can't remember which one.. but I do have the PDF saved, so will take some screenshots for you...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0