R6 Update

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I am not the one fooling myself here :)

Attached is the 6D2 AF spread (black AF points) overlay on top of the 5D3 AF spread (white AF points), which you said it was about equivalent to. Even 5 years later, it pales in comparison to the 5d3 in many ways including AF - for composition purposes the 6D2 AF was a bust just like the original 6D. Canon couldn't even give it 2012 AF because they always feel the need to make the 6 line crippled in some way, and I don't expect this to change with the next iteration of the R6.
Don't need to shoot with something to see it has no AF points where i would like them to be, and after living with the 6D's 1/4000 shutter limitation for years , lack of 1/8000 shutter on its own would be an automatic deal breaker

Thanks for finally revealing yourself as the Sony troll you actually are.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have made it through a long life without ever having (or perhaps even using) a camera with 1/8000 sec. shutter speed, or it ever occurring to me to want one. I'm curious, though. Those of you who have such cameras and sometimes need that speed (and not folks who have never used it, but consider it a necessity for Life As We Know It to continue), please tell me the circumstances when you find it useful.

I can conjecture several types of things, but practicality of exposure would seem to limit opportunities.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have made it through a long life without ever having (or perhaps even using) a camera with 1/8000 sec. shutter speed, or it ever occurring to me to want one. I'm curious, though. Those of you who have such cameras and sometimes need that speed (and not folks who have never used it, but consider it a necessity for Life As We Know It to continue), please tell me the circumstances when you find it useful.

I can conjecture several types of things, but practicality of exposure would seem to limit opportunities.
I only needed that speed when renting an f/1.2 lens and taking pictures of my kids outside, during summer. A polarizer filter and pulling back exposure in post was enough to fix that situation. Or waiting 5 seconds for a cloud to appear, this is the Netherlands after all :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013

1/8000 extremely useful for ultra wide apertures in moderate outdoor light without needing to add ND filters, which is what always annoyed me with the 6d as I could have avoided needing swapping filters in many cases if 1/8000 were avail. It's also useful for some birds and insects. Not having it for "product differentiation" and having to use as work around that requires more gear sucks

Upvote 0