Real Estate Listing Video 5D mkIII and 60D

bp

Jun 1, 2011
Lovely video - very well executed

Yes, I too have looked into the RE side of shooting both video and stills, and boy... most real estate agents are just flat out CHEAP... Seems to me, if you can get in good with very high-end agents, who deal exclusively in very swanky properties, you might be able to make a go of it. Otherwise you'll find yourself competing against bargain basement shooters practically giving away their time, or trying to sell your higher-end services to agents who just don't see the value in it. "My listings have been selling just fine with these crappy shots I take on my camera from Target"

It's too bad, really... because great pictures (and great video) could really help convince a buyer that THAT is the house of their dreams

Upvote 0

Cgdillan

HDSLR Cinematographer/Photograper
Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
bp said:
Lovely video - very well executed

Yes, I too have looked into the RE side of shooting both video and stills, and boy... most real estate agents are just flat out CHEAP... Seems to me, if you can get in good with very high-end agents, who deal exclusively in very swanky properties, you might be able to make a go of it. Otherwise you'll find yourself competing against bargain basement shooters practically giving away their time, or trying to sell your higher-end services to agents who just don't see the value in it. "My listings have been selling just fine with these crappy shots I take on my camera from Target"

It's too bad, really... because great pictures (and great video) could really help convince a buyer that THAT is the house of their dreams

Good points. And thank you =-) I've been very lucky. I've worked only with two guys who are closely related in the RE world and neither one has been cheap about the photography and video cost. It's nice to be working with guys that understand the value of tho work.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Cgdillan said:
A last minute video shot for Trinity Home and Investment
https://vimeo.com/43141375

I too would like to add my praise for this...VERY well done!!

May I ask what lenses you were using? I've seen you post what glides, lights..etc...but am curious as to what lenses you used with this shot.

I would be interested in trying something like this in my area of the US too...

TIA,

cayenne

Upvote 0

Cgdillan

Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
cayenne said:
Cgdillan said:

May I ask what lenses you were using? I've seen you post what glides, lights..etc...but am curious as to what lenses you used with this shot.

TIA,

cayenne

Thank you very much =-) It's always encouraging to hear good things about your work.

5D mkIII with Bower 14mm f/2.8:
- photos
- basic pans
- glidecam

5D mkIII with 24-105mm f/4L: - somewhere between 35 and 50mm
- Host Shots

My partner was on the konova slider with 60D and tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
we also had a 2nd angle of the host that was the 60D and Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS for a tight shot but decided it didn't fit.

Post processed in premiere pro cs6 (to test it out and see how it works vs fcp x) and graded in MB Looks

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Cgdillan said:
cayenne said:
Cgdillan said:

TIA,

cayenne

Thank you very much =-) It's always encouraging to hear good things about your work.

- photos
- basic pans
- glidecam

- Host Shots

we also had a 2nd angle of the host that was the 60D and Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS for a tight shot but decided it didn't fit.

Post processed in premiere pro cs6 (to test it out and see how it works vs fcp x) and graded in MB Looks

Thank you for the reply.

I'm new to the DSLR game myself, just got a 5D3. I'm looking to get some wide angle lenses. I'm still trying to figure out how to rate, or discern what non canon lenses are good to get.

I'd not heard of the Bower till you mentioned it, looked it up on amazon.com, but not much info there and no ratings.

How would you rate this lens on the Canon? Will it auto focus or strictly manual? The price certainly is right!! How would this rank vs the canon 14mm do you think?

Again, thank you for the replies and info!!

C

Upvote 0

Cgdillan

Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
cayenne said:
Cgdillan said:
cayenne said:
Cgdillan said:

TIA,

cayenne

- photos
- basic pans
- glidecam

- Host Shots

Thank you for the reply.

I'm new to the DSLR game myself, just got a 5D3. I'm looking to get some wide angle lenses. I'm still trying to figure out how to rate, or discern what non canon lenses are good to get.

I'd not heard of the Bower till you mentioned it, looked it up on amazon.com, but not much info there and no ratings.

How would you rate this lens on the Canon? Will it auto focus or strictly manual? The price certainly is right!! How would this rank vs the canon 14mm do you think?

Again, thank you for the replies and info!!

C

Never used the canon 14 before but I love the bower. It's totally manual. It's very sharp for its price. You can also find it on b&h. There may be some reviews there

Upvote 0
Excellent video, really well shot, just one teeny tiny constructive suggestion for the opening sequence from about 12 to 15 seconds timeline - the 'wipe' transitions detract from the rest of the video where your straight cuts work really well, best to use cross dissolves instead (or fade to black). I personally know 2 TV professionals, one an editor for current affairs at a national broadcaster, and the other is an Executive Series Producer on a fashion program, both say never ever use wipes if it can be helped (they scream hey I've discovered a new video effect in my editing software), unless it is for dramatic effect e.g. a radial wipe to suggest the passage of time etc.

Numerous training tutorials (Lynda.com for instance, I've watched most of their tutorials on After Effects & Premiere Pro) say the same; stick with straight cuts and then cross-dissolves for sequence changes (exterior to interior or wide to close-up). Those early wipes detract from the overall production, especially when you watch on a 40-inch 1080p monitor, they make the viewer feel dizzy.

Otherwise, well done for a top notch job, really impressive.

Upvote 0

Cgdillan

Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
DB said:
Excellent video, really well shot, just one teeny tiny constructive suggestion for the opening sequence from about 12 to 15 seconds timeline - the 'wipe' transitions detract from the rest of the video where your straight cuts work really well, best to use cross dissolves instead (or fade to black). I personally know 2 TV professionals, one an editor for current affairs at a national broadcaster, and the other is an Executive Series Producer on a fashion program, both say never ever use wipes if it can be helped (they scream hey I've discovered a new video effect in my editing software), unless it is for dramatic effect e.g. a radial wipe to suggest the passage of time etc.

Numerous training tutorials (Lynda.com for instance, I've watched most of their tutorials on After Effects & Premiere Pro) say the same; stick with straight cuts and then cross-dissolves for sequence changes (exterior to interior or wide to close-up). Those early wipes detract from the overall production, especially when you watch on a 40-inch 1080p monitor, they make the viewer feel dizzy.

Otherwise, well done for a top notch job, really impressive.

I appreciate your input. and well said. I'll keep that in mind. i did notice the dizzy feeling when viewing on my 27 iMac so the 40inch must be crazy. =-/. but the videos purpose and destination is always going to be viewed small so i figured it'd be ok. the client liked it =-) great input nonetheless

Upvote 0

Cgdillan

Mar 20, 2012
1992-06-25
www.StockhamMedia.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Nice production, but the clip of the beach looked out of focus. I viewed it a second time, and perhaps it was just a extreme shallow depth of field. I thought it detracted somewhat from the whole, but overall, a impressive piece.

The shot of the beach had a tilt shift effect added to it. other than that it was totally sharp. i appreciate your opinion =-) maybe i could go easier on the tilt-shift blur

Upvote 0