Recommend me a lens or 2 to rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, looks like I might (hopefully!) be shooting this Sunday at The Viper Room, been there before, it's a smallish venue compared to a concert hall, but decent enough sized for night club music venues. So, I'm looking to rent a lens or two to fill in a hole or two in my kit. I have shot some performances before, but those were in smaller venues, under less pressure. While this isn't a paying gig, it certainly might lead to some in the future.

So, I've currently got the 5d2, 5d3, 24-105L f/4, 85 f/1.8, 135L f/2.

I love the 24-105, but at f/4 in low light, even with the high ISO capabilities, it just won't fly. Plus, on the 5d3 I won't get the super sensitive dual-cross points in the center.

So, I need something at the wide end that's fast so I can get the full stage shots & such. I've shot with the 24L f/1.4 which I love, but I'm kinda thinking of the 24-70L f/2.8 which, while a good bit slower, I'd probably be shooting closer to that f-stop anyway since I do need some DOF. Plus, it offers some versatility in being able to zoom in decently.

There's also the 16-35L f/2.8 if I want some ultra-wide, and I was debating the 35L f/1.4.

Not sure if I'll shoot with both bodies, but it certainly is an option. My initial thoughts (as writing this post starts refining) is get the 16-35L & 24-70L, and bring my 135L & maybe my 85 1.8 in case I want to switch one or both.

Recommendations?

May 12, 2011
drjlo said:
Of all the lenses you mention, the only ones I love are 135L and 35L, which is perfect FOV, great "normal" on crop and awesome non-distorted wide angle on FF. I had the 16-35 II, and while it's good, 35L is quite a bit better, so I've learned to just move my feet with it. Let's hope Canon's answer to 14-24mm is good.

Geez do people even read people's posts anymore? This random blurb has almost nothing to do with what he asked, it's just a few random crap comments about lenses you've used before. He said he already HAS the 135L and is asking what lenses to rent.

Anyways, original poster I'd go for the 35L or 24L, I'd stay way from the f/2.8's in darker venues (which I'm assuming the Viper Room is). If you have to pick 1 I'd say the 35L for sure, I think from a small distance you'll be able to get full stage shots. Do you have a flash?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.