Red Squirrels and other Scottish Wildlife

I've spent well over four years trying to get a half decent shot of a red squirrel, but after my last trip to Scotland, I have more than I know what to do with. I also managed to photogarph another iconic species, the mountain hare, as well as a treecreeper.

Red Squirrel Eating Hazlenut by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Red Squirrel Ambush by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Red Squirrel Peek a Boo by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Resting Mountain Hare by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Roosting Treecreeper by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

They're taken at the Aigas Field Centre in the Scottish Highlands. Because of the proximity to people on a daily basis, it's much easier to get close to them than usual, even though they are wild. The centre is also involved in a breeding pgoramme for wildcats and I'm sure I saw one there in the Caledonian woodland early one March morning four years ago, but I haven't photographed any, as they are trying to keep human contact to a minimum ready for release of the offspring into the wild in the future. The chance of seeing more than a glimpse of a wild one is pretty remote.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Kernuak said:
I've spent well over four years trying to get a half decent shot of a red squirrel, but after my last trip to Scotland, I have more than I know what to do with. I also managed to photogarph another iconic species, the mountain hare, as well as a treecreeper.
Those are great shots. What lens etc. did you use? The 300mm L I assume?
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
Malte_P said:
great images.. great light....
ions said:
Very nice! Well done, thank you for sharing.
skullyspice said:
Fantastic squirrel shots!
Thanks, in some ways, they've been four years in the making. The lighting was a little bit of a struggle in the second squirrel shot and the mountain hare shot (where it was actually raining). The stump had to be positioned carefully for the two autumn leaves shots, as the sun was quite harsh on the background. Luckily they were used to it by that time after a few days and were quite happy with it being moved a few feet.

Upvote 0