Reports of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III going to sleep/locking up briefly

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Ouch! That is an annoying bug on the 1DX3 and strange how pre-launch testing hadn’t spotted that one.

Personally, I haven’t noticed any similar bugs on my EOS-R mentioned on some of the treads above.

I’ve put almost 5000 images and some short movies clips through my R this week I love the camera it is a pleasure to use most of the time (excluding the very odd occasion it struggles to find focus on an eye or face for that matter in tricky light conditions) but so many tack sharp images I shouldn’t complain too much.

I can’t ever imagine me returning to a DSLR, but the upcoming R5 and R6 well there’s another thing…

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m gonna say it, does anyone else find it creepy that he has the camera set up in some little kids room ? This is like something out of the movie running scared, and I bet if he disables the auto shut off mode the issue will subside until a firmware fix gets put out. His camera might be revolting and saying nooooooo I will not take pictures of this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I’m gonna say it, does anyone else find it creepy that he has the camera set up in some little kids room ? This is like something out of the movie running scared, and I bet if he disables then auto shut off mode the issue will subside. His camera might be revolting and saying nooooooo I will not take pictures of this
I see it now.

Upvote 0
I’m gonna say it, does anyone else find it creepy that he has the camera set up in some little kids room ? This is like something out of the movie running scared, and I bet if he disables the auto shut off mode the issue will subside until a firmware fix gets put out. His camera might be revolting and saying nooooooo I will not take pictures of this
I see it now.
Understandably bizarre setting — I was at Disney World in my room and decided to film this out of frustration, which clashes with the Little Mermaid decor they assigned me to.

• Love
Upvote 0
Although this shouldn´t happen in a 7500€ camera, we know that the first bodies always comes with some minor issues that are corrected by firmware update. I believe this is a minor bug that will be easily corrected via firmware update.

---

For the Canon engineering people, the Cortex-Mxx series cores being used in the DIGICS has something called the Nested Vector Interrupt Controller (NVIC) and some BIOS code is setting a Hard Interrupt event trigger and priority level for the Sensor Cleaning and Sleep routine that is set above the current set of tasks. Lower the priority level below current camera operations and the NVIC won't be triggered. Takes about 30 minutes to fix!

You could ALSO move the cleaning and sleep operations from a HARD INTERRUPT routine to a single Global Polled Interrupt ISR (Interrupt Service Routine) that monitors for and does only low-level but delayable tasks which will PREVENT the cleaning and sleep operation from happening "Right Now" rather than WAITING for a more appropriate time after OTHER more-important tasks are done. Again, about 30 minutes to move some BIOS code and recompile in order to fix!

THERE CANON -- DONE !!! --- I just fixed it for you! Have the update up on Wednesday for us to test!

--

Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
I should add that I've not seen it again, so one time that's it, I can not get it to do anything odd, the camera is awesome! Soooooo fast, no matter what state hit the shutter and its bang, powered up, metered, focused the shot is taken, no lag, no delay, instant, that's what I love about the 1D series, it's all about speed and this is truly the fastest camera I have ever owned.
I hope any issues are sorted and Canon bring more features to the Mk3, I have no problem buying a new camera and expect some minor bugs, with such a beast of a camera and such speed I guess minor issues are possible, I.e they can be overlooked or misses when they go into mass production.
Have you had any issues with oil splatter on the sensor? Genuine question, as it’s what prevented me from getting the 1DX II.

Upvote 0
Have you had any issues with oil splatter on the sensor? Genuine question, as it’s what prevented me from getting the 1DX II.
My Mk3 has minor oil spots (checked from new), DO keep in mind this is looking for them at 500mm f22, pointing to the sky and then editing to look for them, I've never seen any of them in real world situations on my Mk2 or Mk3, the Mk3 is much better as I say. PLEASE dont avoid buying a Mk2 or 3 for fear of oil and dust, dust is a fact of life, some cameras like the 5D4 seem less prone (or mine did) to dust and oil, maybe slow frame rates or mirror box design, the 1DX is such an awesome camera such minor issues are easy to overlook and I am OCD, the files from the Mk3 are awesome, but so were the Mk2 files, CPS did a great job of cleaning up my old Mk2 sensor when I failed even after 20 swabs, it was far easier to just send it in for clean and service to be happy with the sensor again. Not that it was a problem. Go for it you wont regret it and a Mk2 is a bargain right now second hand, if I got a second hand one I'd have it serviced by Canon and go shooting.

Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
My Mk3 has minor oil spots (checked from new), DO keep in mind this is looking for them at 500mm f22, pointing to the sky and then editing to look for them, I've never seen any of them in real world situations on my Mk2 or Mk3, the Mk3 is much better as I say. PLEASE dont avoid buying a Mk2 or 3 for fear of oil and dust, dust is a fact of life, some cameras like the 5D4 seem less prone (or mine did) to dust and oil, maybe slow frame rates or mirror box design, the 1DX is such an awesome camera such minor issues are easy to overlook and I am OCD, the files from the Mk3 are awesome, but so were the Mk2 files, CPS did a great job of cleaning up my old Mk2 sensor when I failed even after 20 swabs, it was far easier to just send it in for clean and service to be happy with the sensor again. Not that it was a problem. Go for it you wont regret it and a Mk2 is a bargain right now second hand, if I got a second hand one I'd have it serviced by Canon and go shooting.
Thanks a lot! I couldn’t care less about dust, I change lenses in the field too often to worry about it. Oil is a different story, as no amount of air blowing is going to fix it. But I get your point, it’s good that it only shows in extreme conditions, very reassuring. I’m off to Antarctica end of this year, just waiting to see what the R5 looks like before I make up my mind. I played with the MK III at IBC and I really loved the AF-ON sensor

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
---

For the Canon engineering people, the Cortex-Mxx series cores being used in the DIGICS has something called the Nested Vector Interrupt Controller (NVIC) and some BIOS code is setting a Hard Interrupt event trigger and priority level for the Sensor Cleaning and Sleep routine that is set above the current set of tasks. Lower the priority level below current camera operations and the NVIC won't be triggered. Takes about 30 minutes to fix!

You could ALSO move the cleaning and sleep operations from a HARD INTERRUPT routine to a single Global Polled Interrupt ISR (Interrupt Service Routine) that monitors for and does only low-level but delayable tasks which will PREVENT the cleaning and sleep operation from happening "Right Now" rather than WAITING for a more appropriate time after OTHER more-important tasks are done. Again, about 30 minutes to move some BIOS code and recompile in order to fix!

THERE CANON -- DONE !!! --- I just fixed it for you! Have the update up on Wednesday for us to test!

--
So, instead of rebooting, it will hang forever?

• Haha
Upvote 0

There are a number of reports over at Fred Miranda of the same collection of oil in the upper left particularly as the 1DX II had. If you want to use the camera for stopped down landscapes I'd avoid it for sure. If you are like me and tend to be cropping in and shooting wide open between 2.8-8 then it won't likely be much of an issue as it wasn't for me with my 1DXII. A friend of mine took a shot of his sensor after opening the box and it was spotless, f/22, dehaze maxed. It only took a day's outing to have spots all over.

Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
There are a number of reports over at Fred Miranda of the same collection of oil in the upper left particularly as the 1DX II had. If you want to use the camera for stopped down landscapes I'd avoid it for sure. If you are like me and tend to be cropping in and shooting wide open between 2.8-8 then it won't likely be much of an issue as it wasn't for me with my 1DXII. A friend of mine took a shot of his sensor after opening the box and it was spotless, f/22, dehaze maxed. It only took a day's outing to have spots all over.
Dang it! Did you guys find the AF to have improved over the previous generation?Yeah I rarely go beyond f/8 when shooting wildlife, and that’s usually using a TC with the 100-400 and in good lighting conditions, so I’m not too worried. For all landscape work, I still use my trusty 5DSR. I got the 5D IV for wildlife, and I find it the most frustrating camera when it comes to autofocus. It just never nails it, no matter what the settings, it’s always on the hunt. The 5DSR does a better job at acquiring focus, which I find mind blowing.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
I got the 5D IV for wildlife, and I find it the most frustrating camera when it comes to autofocus. It just never nails it, no matter what the settings, it’s always on the hunt. The 5DSR does a better job at acquiring focus, which I find mind blowing.
Really? My 5D4 focuses superbly, I'd say it's the best-focusing body I've ever had (though I've never had a 1D series). Maybe yours has a fault?

Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
Really? My 5D4 focuses superbly, I'd say it's the best-focusing body I've ever had (though I've never had a 1D series). Maybe yours has a fault?
I’m not sure, if it’s well lit and the subject is contrasty, it doesn’t struggle to acquire focus. But as soon as it’s remotely dark, or the subject is not contrasty (say a polar bear or a mountain hare) it’s adios auto focus. I did email canon a few times and they said that I need to send my body and lenses to a service centre to have them paired or whatever. Maybe it’s time to go mirrorless for the wildlife body.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
I’m not sure, if it’s well lit and the subject is contrasty, it doesn’t struggle to acquire focus. But as soon as it’s remotely dark, or the subject is not contrasty (say a polar bear or a mountain hare) it’s adios auto focus. I did email canon a few times and they said that I need to send my body and lenses to a service centre to have them paired or whatever. Maybe it’s time to go mirrorless for the wildlife body.
I will almost certainly make the move into mirrorless with the R5 and the 100-500, unless the launch price is too high or there is something unexpectedly bad in the final specs. But I'm treating it as a gamble for wildlife photography and holding on to all my current gear in case I want to backpedal.

One issue to keep in mind is that mirrorless has no cross-type AF - unless Canon has a new technology which they haven't announced yet. They've been very coy about the sensor - we know so much about the R5, yet nothing at all about the sensor beyond what we can surmise from the 8K support. So maybe...

Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
I will almost certainly make the move into mirrorless with the R5 and the 100-500, unless the launch price is too high or there is something unexpectedly bad in the final specs. But I'm treating it as a gamble for wildlife photography and holding on to all my current gear in case I want to backpedal.

One issue to keep in mind is that mirrorless has no cross-type AF - unless Canon has a new technology which they haven't announced yet. They've been very coy about the sensor - we know so much about the R5, yet nothing at all about the sensor beyond what we can surmise from the 8K support. So maybe...
That is true, you do sacrifice a bit of speed and accuracy for a greater AF coverage. But the added benefit of not having to micro adjust the focus calibration is a big plus. I remember calibrating my lenses before heading to Svalbard, and when it got there, they were all front focusing because of the change of temperature. Not a big deal
If you remember to pack a target, but still quite a pain.

Upvote 0
Understandably bizarre setting — I was at Disney World in my room and decided to film this out of frustration, which clashes with the Little Mermaid decor they assigned me to.
Just giving you shit. Did you play with any of the honor off settings I’m also assuming you emailed canon

Upvote 0