Reptiles and Amphibians

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
About all your posts:
Great summary, great pics.
Somehow, I slightly prefer living in Germany. Even though that means, having just a few snakes to photograph... ;)
Germany still has some interesting snakes(if I remember correctly they are protected like wolves) and some cool lizards.
Fantastic series of shots. This must be the work of several years of tracking them down. I would love to visit India again.
For some it was luck while in case of Cat snakes, shieldtails, vine snakes right habitat and right time of years generally are more than enough to guarantee sightings. Let me know if you visit Western ghats during monsoons, I will provide you contacts of guides(I know people for mammals as well from snow leopards to tigers and everything in between) and good resorts at herp spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Germany still has some interesting snakes(if I remember correctly they are protected like wolves) and some cool lizards.
Fully correct. Most of our local species of reptiles and amphibians are threatened and protected.
Where I live you can find snakes like the common European viper (vipera berus), the grass snake (natrix natrix) and the smooth snake (coronella austriaca).
There are some four more species (German hyperlink). And only the European viper and the asp viper (vipera aspis) are venomous snakes.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Common Bronzeback Treesnake:
View attachment 205141

Common Cat snake:
View attachment 205136

Beddome's Cat snake:
View attachment 205138

Northern Western Ghats vine snake:
View attachment 205144

Green Keelback:
View attachment 205143

Checkered Keelback:
View attachment 205140

Striped Keelback:
View attachment 205139

Beddome's Keelback:
View attachment 205137

Russell's/Streaked/Variegated Kukri snake:
View attachment 205135

Indian Smooth snake:
View attachment 205142
Very nice to great photos! I just wonder where you were all this time and not posting here?! For some of the shots/species I wouldn't have the courage to get there with just 100mm lens - pretty dangerous!
Prairie Rattlesnake in New Mexico.
View attachment 205104
I love this shot!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
OK: I haven't been at this topic for a wile and I have to acknowledge I missed a lot of great shots (and most importantly a lot of interesting species!!!)!
There are a lot of great shots here but non is covering both Amphibians and Reptiles;). Here I have both classes covered in the same shots :rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!

DSC_7451_DxO.jpgDSC_7527_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The intent was to take a picture of this flower amongst the green. When I got home and put it on the big screen this gecko suddenly appeared. It is either a testament to his camouflage or a statement about my lack of observation.
Nice catch and funny story, Andy

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The intent was to take a picture of this flower amongst the green. When I got home and put it on the big screen this gecko suddenly appeared. It is either a testament to his camouflage or a statement about my lack of observation.

R5 24-240 @ 130mm f6.3 1/1600 ISO 800

View attachment 205626
"It is either a testament to his camouflage or a statement about my lack of observation." - most probably both:). Anyway nice shot!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Again copy and paste from the birds (with some addition...): "And my regular walk at the beach park (with the regular birds too - but I try to get better poses:cautious:. Relatively good exercise for both - my body and my skills in photography... but on somewhat lazy site ;))."
And photos of young/relatively small Green Turtle - I like the spark in the eye on the second photo. These are two consecutive photos at speed 1/2500 (if I remember right) when the turtle started diving and I can't decide which is better...

DSC_7789_DxO.jpgDSC_7790_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0