Reptiles and Amphibians

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This shot is nothing compared to Aussie shooter's. It's just that my little garter snake happened to present a reflection and be in water that made me think of posting it this moment. I spent about 10 minutes getting many shots of this guy that day and was quite tickled given I didn't even know garter snakes liked to swim.:confused:

I also was quite surprised how different angles presented the water colour so differently, especially how the green May leaves affected it.

Garter Snake_s_13933.JPGGarter Snake_s_13676.JPG

Jack

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Very nice, but I'm more interested in the "workshop" than the photo. ;) Have you considered working on this to make the head stand out just a little better? Just a thought from someone who is no expert.

Jack
I have and am still playing around with it but due to the fact I was teaching more than shooting my composition was off by an inch or two and his head is positioned just slightly wrong. But I will certainly have a go and post the 'hopefully' improved version.
Ps. Love the Garter snake. They are quite a cool looking snake

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
nic

Nice work. It looks like rather limited depth of field, how close were you, and what lens were you using?
Thank you! I'm shooting with EF 100-400 II. I was quite close, 1.5-2 m probably. The lizard is very small, the size of a little finger. And they always held still with their head a bit further away from the camera than their legs. This one is a little better, almost the whole body is in focus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Thank you! I'm shooting with EF 100-400 II. I was quite close, 1.5-2 m probably. The lizard is very small, the size of a little finger. And they always held still with their head a bit further away from the camera than their legs. This one is a little better, almost the whole body is in focus.
I’m glad to hear they would hold still. I imagine achieving focus was difficult. Were you using auto, or manual focus?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0