Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
...someone is going to reverse engineer the RF mount and come out with an adapter that lets people mount RF lenses to EF bodies. There are those on this forum that say it's impossible. Maybe they are right, but in my experience those kinds of claims are often superseded by reality. I think Canon may do it, because they may find they have a whole series of cool R lenses that no one buys because they can't use them on their DSLRs.
An RF to EF adapter is certainly possible, but making one without optical elements is impossible. The question is, would people use a 3rd party optic likely to degrade IQ to mount an expensive, high-quality RF lens on a FF DSLR? Maybe...there’s probably one or two people out there with a Fotodiox TC behind a big white lens.

Canon likely could make one with good IQ (the FD-to-EOS adapter was high IQ, basically a very good ~1.25x TC), but I really can’t see them coming out with one, ever.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Right now, only one mount fits everything and that is EF. I expect that within a few years, if Canon doesn't do it, someone is going to reverse engineer the RF mount and come out with an adapter that lets people mount RF lenses to EF bodies. There are those on this forum that say it's impossible. Maybe they are right, but in my experience those kinds of claims are often superseded by reality. I think Canon may do it, because they may find they have a whole series of cool R lenses that no one buys because they can't use them on their DSLRs.

It's not impossible, but it would require optical elements. You can check out the reviews of the many 3rd party FD to EF lens converters, and you will very quickly see that it's nowhere near a free lunch. You'll likely lose the entire benefit of RF to begin with.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Voltage doesn't do anything. Current (amperage) does. If it's low enough amperage, 5 Megavolts volts going through a body won't do much other than make your hair stand on end.

LC2910-HC-5.jpg
Strictly speaking, voltage doesn't go through anything. Voltage is a measure of potential difference across a circuit or two points. Current is what flows through. ;) 1/10 of an amp can kill (A/C)https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The concern is more of staying within the playing field of the Sony A9, Nikon 850 and the like.

Surely what matters is choosing the camera that best suits your needs, who cares what a different body can do (and if it does better what you care about, get that?).

Competitors are getting cleaner files at higher ISOs.

This is absolutely incorrect.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Surely what matters is choosing the camera that best suits your needs, who cares what a different body can do (and if it does better what you care about, get that?).

This is absolutely incorrect.
I like my kit but I've been finding myself needing more. Under 1600 it's acceptable , at 1600 to 3200, no comparison. Have you tried covering runners training close to sunset or dog agility competitions set in a dimly lit arena and have to deliver the original high res files? Once the editor/screener is used to looking at files from the A9 , submitting certain files feels embarrassing. 7DmkII vs A9 or D500? Have a look: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...1&x=-0.4581907707846727&y=-0.8133701174859886

Upvote 0
I like my kit but I've been finding myself needing more. Under 1600 it's acceptable , at 1600 to 3200, no comparison. Have you tried covering runners training close to sunset or dog agility competitions set in a dimly lit arena and have to deliver the original high res files? Once the editor/screener is used to looking at files from the A9 , submitting certain files feels embarrassing. 7DmkII vs A9 or D500? Have a look: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...1&x=-0.4581907707846727&y=-0.8133701174859886

You mentioned "the Sony A9, Nikon 850 and the like". I can believe the 7D2 lags the newer cameras (but is it fair to compare different generations?) but your post that I was replying to didn't mention that camera.

If those competitors' cameras better suit your needs, you should buy one of them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I have substituted the 5DSR for the D850 in your comparison. The A9 and and D500 are embarrassing in comparison - see link below.

Upvote 0
You mentioned "the Sony A9, Nikon 850 and the like". I can believe the 7D2 lags the newer cameras (but is it fair to compare different generations?) but your post that I was replying to didn't mention that camera.

If those competitors' cameras better suit your needs, you should buy one of them.

I mentioned those in my original post. Anyway...

The point is , photogs want to stay with Canon but with no new midrange pro sports camera on the horizon, we are put in a tough situation. I like everything about the 7DmkII except the sensor (and how Canon's built in video codec "smushes" detail) and with mistakenly high hopes , was hoping a 7dmkIII option would've been known by now. Even putting aside a few lens purchases for as long as possible and renting where need be to see where they would be headed. The 90D specs don't look too appealing, the R isn't a solution and the 1dxII is $4k on the used market. Some folks have to make a decision within a month or two. Would be nice to know before used gear prices plummet further.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have something of a time crunch. I damaged my 7Dmkll. I love my canon lenses. I don't want to buy 3/5 year old technology. If a 90D has a high frame rate and auto focus as good or better than my camera, with a new sensor great. If they bring out an R mount that will out perform a 7DmKll when it comes to image quality, frame rate and auto focus, also great. I just wish they would get on with. I can limp for another 4-6 months but if there is not a clear path by late fall, I might have to change brands.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I have substituted the 5DSR for the D850 in your comparison. The A9 and and D500 are embarrassing in comparison - see link below.

Dude, you sold your 7dmkII ;) The D850 is rated at 7-9fps(with battery grip) vs the 5DSR's 5fps. For a photojournalist, there's the more multipurpose 5dmkiv.

Upvote 0
I have something of a time crunch. I damaged my 7Dmkll. I love my canon lenses. I don't want to buy 3/5 year old technology. If a 90D has a high frame rate and auto focus as good or better than my camera, with a new sensor great. If they bring out an R mount that will out perform a 7DmKll when it comes to image quality, frame rate and auto focus, also great. I just wish they would get on with. I can limp for another 4-6 months but if there is not a clear path by late fall, I might have to change brands.
Copy that. I'm in time crunch as well, which is why this wait is annoying. But if I needed to , I'd buy a used 7dmkII or 5mkIV to buy me some time till early Sept. Many here are in different boats. Those who cover/shoot sports for the wire, for the paper to those who take photos for themselves and don't have to send high res pics out to anyone or don't print. The 7D filled the swiss army knife role in Canon's lineup. We don't want anything less than that but not asking for a whole lot more.

Upvote 0
The 100-400mm II doesn't fit on the D850!
Indeed! That's why this is so sad and maddening. The 5DSR is a good cam and I was going to rent one for a specific assignment but it's not the body for the majority of my work. If I never had to use an iso over 800 , I would be sitting here happy and would wait another year. But a few assignments have been popping up that require it and there will hopefully be more. Amassing a mix of lenses over 6 years and then to have to sell and buy them in a smaller time span to switch systems isn't easy for many, Canon knows this.

Upvote 0

jtf

Mar 22, 2019
Copy that. I'm in time crunch as well, which is why this wait is annoying. But if I needed to , I'd buy a used 7dmkII or 5mkIV to buy me some time till early Sept. Many here are in different boats. Those who cover/shoot sports for the wire, for the paper to those who take photos for themselves and don't have to send high res pics out to anyone or don't print. The 7D filled the swiss army knife role in Canon's lineup. We don't want anything less than that but not asking for a whole lot more.

I'm not a pro photographer. Just a retired network operations manager who has been photographing sports and wildlife for decades and wants to see the 90D or even better the EOS R sports camera as soon as possible because I'm impatient and have been waiting for a couple of years.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Dont give up yet guys ,wait half year more :p
you know shock effect ,if canon warns bomb is coming ,there wont be shock effect. Other brands and buyers can prepare to it.
Now if they played dead last 10 year to preparing mirrorless time ,its sensible not reveal road maps.
Catch me if you can game been rolling 10 year .other brands tooked risk to catch canon and they did.
but what happens now if canon releases cheap superior crop camera and superior sport R with total suprice.
I would think canon competitors wont sell many camera untill they catch canon technologically.Many of them are on edge of cliff already.
I hope canon just playing dead :p
Or fear ,canon monopoly may not be good thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm not a pro photographer. Just a retired network operations manager who has been photographing sports and wildlife for decades and wants to see the 90D or even better the EOS R sports camera as soon as possible because I'm impatient and have been waiting for a couple of years.
7d II is hardly a sports oriented camera. More likely a wildlife camera for people that cannot afford the price and / or heft of a Full Frame pro bodies and lenses. The important parameter to watch is low light sensitivity more than anything else.
Indoor and outdoor night sports assignments will see you cranking up ISO levels in ISO 6400 territories. Just a a thought for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Comparing noise from a crop sensor 7D mark II ($1,399 after $250 rebate/ Releasedf 2014) to that of a Full Frame Sony A9 ($3,500 after $1,000 rebate/ Released 2017) at higher ISO seems fair. :rolleyes: All the varied framing does too. I'd be embarrassed too. Now I am starting to also wonder why so many of the charts are out of focus and what lenses were used and at what f/stops/shutter speeds. Don't know whether that would make any difference or not. Very scientific, if you ask me. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I don't know what you have. I assume it is the 7D Mark II because of the link you posted. I wouldn't compare that to the A9. The word "daylight" is in the link. I have to wonder if that means the photos were taken in natural light? If so, what were the measurements of that light on the days (and times) the shots were taken? If not natural light, how do we even know the light was exactly the same (Measured with a calibrated instrument!) for each chart shot probably taken years apart? We don't, and that is important. Too many possible and unaccounted for variables.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
Only problem is that the specs mentioned, are 1D replacement. Why put APS-C sensor when you can put FF sensor and get a much better result? Mirrorless cameras are all about the electronics. So is you have a 30MP FF or 30MP APS-C sensor, it is (as far for anything else) the same electronic solution (design). So why taking the R camera, and place an APS-C sensor it in for? you already have the R camera with 30MP sensor in it.

To satisfy the 7D customers, you only need to make 7Dmark3, not downgrade the R to APS-C sensor. People (as me for example) bought the 7D not because we like APS-C sensor, we bought it cause we wanted PRO camera and we could not afford the 1Dx (which is about three times as much). The lenses people having the 7D's are mostly L lenses, not EF-S. So the whole concept of R system with APS-C sensor seems a bit wired to me.

I do not get your point....The R mount is the future! And each new R mount body makes the transition quicker. I love my R and I would not even want a 7D3 at all -anymore after shooting the R for half a year....

A 7D MkIII performance in an EOS-R body would make perfectly sense.... 24 MP would be sufficient but let's say 14 fps, a remarkably quick aoutofocus and all the other R-mount features.... I would buy that one....

DSLR is deal

Upvote 0