Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The supplied current is dependent upon load. If the voltage is constant (it is until the battery draws down), then the amount of current draw from the battery depends upon the load (resistance) of the circuit. So if the load is the same, and the battery voltage is the same. the current draw will be the same. E=IR. It is the load that "pulls" current from the battery. How long a battery will last under a specific load is another story. That is a capacity issue. ;) Anyway, my electronics / instrumentation days ended nearly 20 years ago. So I may be forgetting something. I do that a lot lately. ;) It very well could be that the circuitry and processors in the two cameras are different. So the load may be different. Just saying the difference between the two cameras might involve more than just the batteries. A good control would be rigging the 1DX II battery to power a 5D IV and checking response times that way. However, how does one accurately time such a thing when using a finger to press the button? We cannot. Lot's of uncontrolled variables. Are the differences that big? I wouldn't know. We are probably talking milli seconds. not disputing what you say, my friend
Thank for the write up. Yes differences between the 1DXII AF responsiveness and 5DIV one when long and heavy tele lenses attached is quite noticeable.it feels as though 1DX II drives heavy auto focusing groups and deliver them in “position” nearly instantly where 5D IV exhibits a bit of a hesitation. Still usable but not as snappy action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The point has long gone from much of this thread,
Making what is likely to be a futile attempt to break off from the battery wars...

The 1Dx II is in the shop (went in for a clean and check. Canon says it's time for a new shutter. No surprise as I use it mostly for shooting sports) While it's in the shop I've been using the 7DII as a second body, paired with the 5D IV.

Point is, I haven't really used the 7DII that much for the past year, mostly limiting it to bird outings in good light. But, this has given me a chance to reconnect with the body and use it under less than ideal light. I'm actually surprised the high ISO performance is a lot better than I remembered it being. In fact, when processing the images, I have to remind myself which were shot with the 5D IV and which with the 7DII.

All in all, I realize I've underappreciated the camera and almost forgotten what a great camera it is. I still hope Canon releases a 7DIII, but if they don't, I will be hanging on to the 7DII and expect to use it more. Yeah, there are things I'd like to have on a 7DIII. But, if this is the last of the series, its a solid offering to finish the series out with and will be a valuable tool for me for many years to come.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thank for the write up. Yes differences between the 1DXII AF responsiveness and 5DIV one when long and heavy tele lenses attached is quite noticeable.it feels as though 1DX II drives heavy auto focusing groups and deliver them in “position” nearly instantly where 5D IV exhibits a bit of a hesitation. Still usable but not as snappy action.
You would know. Those who don't own or haven't tried both with long tele lenses ought not even argue the point. I won't have the luxury of owning either one, but I am very happy for those who do. :) I do buy a lottery ticket now and then though, so who knows?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Making what is likely to be a futile attempt to break off from the battery wars...

The 1Dx II is in the shop (went in for a clean and check. Canon says it's time for a new shutter. No surprise as I use it mostly for shooting sports) While it's in the shop I've been using the 7DII as a second body, paired with the 5D IV.

Point is, I haven't really used the 7DII that much for the past year, mostly limiting it to bird outings in good light. But, this has given me a chance to reconnect with the body and use it under less than ideal light. I'm actually surprised the high ISO performance is a lot better than I remembered it being. In fact, when processing the images, I have to remind myself which were shot with the 5D IV and which with the 7DII.

All in all, I realize I've underappreciated the camera and almost forgotten what a great camera it is. I still hope Canon releases a 7DIII, but if they don't, I will be hanging on to the 7DII and expect to use it more. Yeah, there are things I'd like to have on a 7DIII. But, if this is the last of the series, its a solid offering to finish the series out with and will be a valuable tool for me for many years to come.
The 7DII still is a very capable camera. It would not take that much effort to put in a more modern sensor, preferably for me, but not for all, one without an AA-filter, and the AF system from the 1DX II. I would rush to buy one, especially if accompanied by a lightweight telephoto to compete with Nikon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
The 7DII still is a very capable camera. It would not take that much effort to put in a more modern sensor, preferably for me, but not for all, one without an AA-filter, and the AF system from the 1DX II. I would rush to buy one, especially if accompanied by a lightweight telephoto to compete with Nikon.
Would love that too! We leave in10 days for Farne Is to spend a week shooting the puffins and other sea birds including the Gannets on Bass Rock and then will go on to Grimsey Is north of Iceland for another week of more of the same. Maybe I'll be "puffined out" by then! I'm taking my brand new 7DMII (my other one had 360,000 clicks and I was afraid to risk taking it) and my EOS R. Will have the 100-400 II, the 24-105, 70-200/4 II and my 1.4 TC. Hoping for decent weather.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Would love that too! We leave in10 days for Farne Is to spend a week shooting the puffins and other sea birds including the Gannets on Bass Rock and then will go on to Grimsey Is north of Iceland for another week of more of the same. Maybe I'll be "puffined out" by then! I'm taking my brand new 7DMII (my other one had 360,000 clicks and I was afraid to risk taking it) and my EOS R. Will have the 100-400 II, the 24-105, 70-200/4 II and my 1.4 TC. Hoping for decent weather.
What a coincidence, we returned last night from Farne with some very satisfying shots of puffins and sand eels as well as terns, guillemots etc! There are two boat companies who go from Seahouses to the islands. We have used both and can say that Serenity is by far the better - the crew are great and really helpful, the boat is far better (more stable and less cramped when full) and you don't have to clamber over the benches. As well as the all day trip to Staple and Inner Farne Island, the evening tour is worthwhile. Of course, it is the islands themselves that are the attractions, and the boat journey to them incidental. I'll start a Puffin thread to get things going and encourage others to post in.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tron.
It is already live in the animal kingdom threads.

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Hi Tron.
It is already live in the animal kingdom threads.

Cheers, Graham.
Many thanks Graham!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

How many shots did you make with 1DxII that requires a new shutter? I vaguely remember a 1DxII setting that accellerates the shutter wear many times! But I will have to search for it. If I find anything I will update.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How many shots did you make with 1DxII that requires a new shutter? I vaguely remember a 1DxII setting that accellerates the shutter wear many times! But I will have to search for it. If I find anything I will update.
I'm actually not sure, as I didn't check it before I sent it in. If I remember correctly CPS told me that it had somewhere around 420,000 on it and they were recommending a replacement. I see they are rated for 400,000 so I imagine they just figured it was about time and I figured it was better to have it done now than to have it die in the middle of a game.

FWIW, the shutter was $243 and the labor was $219. With the 20% CPS discount it came to $370. The discount pretty much covers my annual CPS membership. The shutter count really didn't surprise me, as it represents a couple of years' worth of shooting volleyball, basketball, soccer, track, baseball, etc., for a small college.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm actually not sure, as I didn't check it before I sent it in. If I remember correctly CPS told me that it had somewhere around 420,000 on it and they were recommending a replacement. I see they are rated for 400,000 so I imagine they just figured it was about time and I figured it was better to have it done now than to have it die in the middle of a game.

FWIW, the shutter was $243 and the labor was $219. With the 20% CPS discount it came to $370. The discount pretty much covers my annual CPS membership. The shutter count really didn't surprise me, as it represents a couple of years' worth of shooting volleyball, basketball, soccer, track, baseball, etc., for a small college.
I just found what I was talking about and in fact in this very site!
Not the same, and I do not know about your settings of course it is just that your post reminded me of something like the above and I thought to search about it. Here it is:

Viggo Jan 21,2019

One thing not all people might know is that when activating “shortened shutter lag” your also shortening the life span of the shutter.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tron.
I seem to recall the setting that could shorten the shutter life was “Shortened shutter release time lag.” I think it was something about some checks and balances being ignored or given reduced priority putting the mechanism at risk of increased wear?
This is all from a flakey memory bank so might be worth less than tuppence! :unsure:

Cheers, Graham.
Edit, you found it while I was typing!

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
How much did they spend? What other undisclosed budget information do you have access to? :rolleyes:
Good thought. Maybe Canon didn't spend anything. Not affected by what Sony was doing and unwilling to spend money on R&D, they just froze funds in the bank and decided to just let things happen as they may. Quite accidentally, they just put a 5D IV and an M body behind locked doors, gave the gene pool a little time, the result of which was a new R body.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Good thought. Maybe Canon didn't spend anything. Not affected by what Sony was doing and unwilling to spend money on R&D, they just froze funds in the bank and decided to just let things happen as they may. Quite accidentally, they just put a 5D IV and an M body behind locked doors, gave the gene pool a little time, the result of which was a new R body.
Perhaps they spent nothing on R&D, yet still managed to file more patents than anyone else in the camera business......

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Trying to get back on topic here....

The 7D2 is a mini 1DX. Fast, great AF, dual processors, and physically tough. An 80D is a different beast.

There is no comparable camera in the Canon lineup, yet there still remains a market for the camera despite its age. If the line is to end, there should be a replacement. Nobody says that the replacement can not be an R series camera. For all we know, Canon is about to come out with a high end crop R camera with an IBIS crop sensor and dual quad processors, something with enough computing power to do some serious tricks....

The thing is, we don’t know, so right about now, any thing is possible

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0