Review: Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R

Would the extra detail allow you to do more noise reduction on a high ISO shot though?

The review talks about downsizing the image to 30MP and making it look like the 5d3. But what about applying noise reduction? Usually that is only good up to a point because it removes too much detail in an already detail-starved high ISO image. What if you cranked on the noise reduction here; could you get a better result from this camera than from a lower res sensor?

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
ahsanford said:
Also:

"The 5Ds has the same dynamic range as 5D III. While some will complain that the closest Nikon-equivalent body has more dynamic range (and more is better), I haven't had an issue with the 5D III's DR. When I can't retain both shadows and highlights in an image, that scene generally needs very significantly more DR and exposure bracketing with HDR handles those instances nicely."

I've bolded that bit above (BC did not in his review) as I'm sure folks were curious.

- A

It seems that 5DSR has nearly one stop better DR than 5DIII at base ISO

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ScottyP said:
Would the extra detail allow you to do more noise reduction on a high ISO shot though?

The review talks about downsizing the image to 30MP and making it look like the 5d3. But what about applying noise reduction? Usually that is only good up to a point because it removes too much detail in an already detail-starved high ISO image. What if you cranked on the noise reduction here; could you get a better result from this camera than from a lower res sensor?

That's precisely what Bryan Carnathan was arguing: Mo Pixels, Mo Solutions.

Like I said before, you could view the 5DS as a low-ISO Studio/Landscape 50 MP rig and a high ISO 20-25 MP rig (like the 5D3 is now). So it's all good unless you need to shoot a yeti at ISO 25,600 and net 50 useable megapixels.

So I'm guessing the following read will take place based on his and others reviews -- in really broad strokes:

Studio / Landscape / Large Print folks: They've already pre-ordered one of the 5DS rigs. This is what they need.

General pros, enthusiasts, folks looking for a great overall camera with money in their pocket: May be swayed towards picking up a 5DS based on this downsizing noise reduction play. (I am in this group but my money is still on the 5D4.)

Sports / Wildlife / Birders: Want more FPS and want better high ISO performance. I assume they'd wait for a 5D4 or 1DX / 1DX II

Videographers: They'll pass on this and hope Canon gives the 5D4 the 4K option.

...but I could be wrong.

- A

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
ahsanford said:
Diltiazem said:

DXO hasn't published 5DSr data yet. Where did they get this data?

That's great news if true. Landscapers would certainly smile about that.

- A

This is from Bill Claff. His measurements have been quite reliable over the years and mirror DXO results, although his actual values are lower than DXO. For example at ISO100 D810 scores 11.02, much lower than DXO's 14 or so.

Upvote 0
Diltiazem said:
ahsanford said:
Diltiazem said:

DXO hasn't published 5DSr data yet. Where did they get this data?

That's great news if true. Landscapers would certainly smile about that.

- A

This is from Bill Claff. His measurements have been quite reliable over the years and mirror DXO results, although his actual values are lower than DXO. For example at ISO100 D810 scores 11.02, much lower than DXO's 14 or so.
Bill Class is very well respected in DPreview. His measurements are suppose to be more practical than dxo. Lot of people started questioning usefulness of dxo DR numbers when they somehow got more DR from d7200 than d750.

Upvote 0