Review: Canon EOS R by Peter McKinnon

My problem is that he has a style which very much is not appealing to me. A lot of flashy, noisy, shouty imagery and mainly feelz, while i prefer just factual and to the point. It only gave me a good feel from a perspective which is not so much reflects me, and learned nothing about technology.. It makes it therefor very difficult for me to finish watching clips like this.. Maybe nice for the teens and twins with an artsy background, but for me a scientist over 50 not great.. Not great at all.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Of course he does not, it's called endorsement, gear allowance, etc. whatever you call it, everybody is entitled to fully believe everything what the internet says, the other brands are no different, they just don't have people like them with this many followers. At least he is not doing a Scott Kelby.
Yeah, of course. A guy like him is not allowed to 'just like' something or be enthusiastic about something - there always has to be an ulterior motive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Love his vlogging work and trailer- very cinematic, great video compositions, there's a very nice look to it all. Very creative, if over-caffeinated :)

However, and unfortunately, as is standard with Canon's stills cameras- the technical video quality is quite soft when watching on a MBP 2880x1800 display and contains significant jello. This may be because he shot in 1080p, but the 4K is also known to be soft.

The EOS-R is very convenient with fully articulating screen, ergonomics, and great DPAF, yes- but the end technical video quality matters. Hoping Canon can improve their video tech in the future.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, of course. I guy like him is not allowed to 'just like' something or be enthusiastic about something - there always has to be an ulterior motive.
Ok when he wasn't enthusiastic about anything Canon-related? As I said, earning respect takes a lot of work, but that doesn't necessarily mean that one has to believe everything that he says. This camera could have been much better even with the same sensor and video features.
There are unbiased reviews on youtube, but they are hard to find and don't get that many views because people get triggered easily, and they only want to see enthusiasm or something for a 'review' to be attractive...

Again, I do think the EOS R may be getting a bit too much negative press, but it's problems should be taken into account just as much.

Upvote 0

vaotix

EOS R, 80D
Sep 4, 2018
Boston, MA
I agree to some extent, but I feel like the EOS R was better received than the 6D II - the 6D II really got raked over the coals by most reviewers while the EOS R at least has a few people talking about its virtues from day 1, even though many were chastised for doing so! I agree though, I think it will be a sleeper hit.

The more I look at the R the more I like it. I really like the drop in filter adapter - a drop in polarizer could potentially let you polarize really wide scenes and make some of the wider bulbous glass more versatile. I did see another review of the camera which had a really interesting point for those using tilt shift lenses. Face/eye tracking still operates in manual focus lenses but it will show you the focus assist diamonds on your subject so you can tell if you've got focus on the eye even without AF. This was the video - skip forward to 6:35 or so for that commentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hEKMFN8Y8Q

Will check out the video when I've got audio.

But yeah...I agree. The more I see about the R, the more I like it, too. Not sure I'll use the polarizing filter adapter, but I love the control ring feature of the new RF mount. Really happy Canon is finally giving us face and eye tracking AF, too.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I liked his enthusiasm. He seemed to like the touch bar for changing ISO, loved the control ring and the drop in filter attachment.
All are things that I think are a plus for the new system.
It may not have been a traditional review but it wasn't one of those jaded videos that we see so much of.
Maybe he was enthusiastic about his free EOS R (OK just joking). The extra ring in the R lenses is furthest out (near the front end of the lens) so not very practical. Have you tried in a 2-ring zoom lens to use the outer ring? Less comfortable than the inner one...

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Love his vlogging work and trailer- very cinematic, great video compositions, there's a very nice look to it all. Very creative, if over-caffeinated :)

However, and unfortunately, as is standard with Canon's stills cameras- the technical video quality is quite soft when watching on a MBP 2880x1800 display and contains significant jello. This may be because he shot in 1080p, but the 4K is also known to be soft.

The EOS-R is very convenient with fully articulating screen, ergonomics, and great DPAF, yes- but the end technical video quality matters. Hoping Canon can improve their video tech in the future.

Perhaps the problem is your poor quality gear. The 4k video looks pretty good on a 4k screen (as far as the the shitty lowbitrate 4k stream you get from YouTube goes). Undoubtedly it will look worse on your 2.8k screen though.

How can you honestly critique resolution when your screen comes nowhere near the resolution of the file?

Ps... no, he hasn't shot in 1080p and then upscaled the exported file to 4k. o_O

It would seem that you're just advertising your cluelessness again.

Upvote 0
Not a review... more like slimy Paid Product Promotion and should be labeled as such

A review is the opinion of the user of a product after he had used it, if you mean its not a review because the user is not a "technical reviewer" or doesn't use other brands than the one reviewed, then that's because you are used to the reviews done by "Reviewing Sites", when you buy any product and provide feedback on Amazon or BH or your blog about your purchase whether its good or bad, then that is called a review.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

A review is the opinion of the user of a product after he had used it, if you mean its not a review because the user is not a "technical reviewer" or doesn't use other brands than the one reviewed, then that's because you are used to the reviews done by "Reviewing Sites", when you buy any product and provide feedback on Amazon or BH or your blog about your purchase whether its good or bad, then that is called a review.

The post by MEAllred raises the question, 'is Peter McKinnon being remunerated in anyway for this video review of the Canon eos r?'

If it's a yes then it should be made clear...

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
The post by MEAllred raises the question, 'is Peter McKinnon being remunerated in anyway for this video review of the Canon eos r?'

If it's a yes then it should be made clear...

Meallred's post does not such thing. Someone makes a totally unfounded accusation and suddenly people demand an explanation as to why McKinnon likes a camera? Jeez.

I suggest we ask you to confirm that you are not a paid shill of Sony sent on here to cast doubt on someone who dares to like a Canon camera. But then, if you were you probably would not admit it so I guess there is no point in asking for proof.
Is CR really going to the default social media position of slandering anyone who dares to hold a different opinion to them? Whatever happened to simply taking things at face value?

Upvote 0
Unless I completely misunderstood the point of this video it sounds like he's doing a promotional video for Canon using where he'll be exclusively using the Canon R. Nothing wrong with that. I'd like to see what a skilled videographer is able to acheive with the R.

I don't think very many cinematic style videographers who currently work with a 1DX2 are going to be switching to an R although I expect a great number of V-loggers are going to love the R. I have a Log 5D Mark IV and even with my limited skill the difference between it and the 1DX2 are significant.

Upvote 0
I find the comments section quite interesting and disturbing. In that respect it's not different from the comments sections of most other gear reviews regarding any camera brand you might wish to mention. It's quite tiring, really. It reminds me of prepubescent males on the playground taunting each other as to whose father can beat up whose father. I you don't like a camera, don't buy it. If you have criticisms, present them in a respectful manner. If you can't, then respect the rest of us and keep silent. :mad:

Upvote 0