Review: Canon EOS R5 by DPReview

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
I am Italian, I bought in Italt through an Italian gray market distributor and it is all right. I have switched language, I have already update the camera firmware and all work well so far.

Were you able to register the camera with Canon Professional Services? Have you tried that? I am in the UK, and the only R5s that are available are from grey market sellers. Some have great reputations and offer long warranties, but I'm worried about being able to register the camera properly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Were you able to register the camera with Canon Professional Services? Have you tried that? I am in the UK, and the only R5s that are available are from grey market sellers. Some have great reputations and offer long warranties, but I'm worried about being able to register the camera properly.

The Italian distributor is providing local tech support in Italy: according to their declaration, I send the camera for repair to them and they send to a Canon official repair shop in Italy- Anyhow, finger crossed- I agree that gray market could be risky but pay 4150 euro for the gray market for a very solid product (hopefully) or go for the official Canon Pass channel and pay over 4670 euro is indeed a big difference- Might be worth or not it depends also on your pocket. However if the camera is a very good one, no worry hopefully...

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
On the issue of bit depth with the H+ shooting mode... I don't believe there is a camera out today that doesn't lower bit depth at 20 fps. This appears to be the industry standard without exception. So it's an odd thing to note as a negative. The R5 goes only to 13 bit rather than 12 bit when in H+ mode in mechanical shutter, which is a bit better than the Sony A9/A9II's mechanical shutter behavior in maximum frames per second, as they go to 12 bit, I believe. I owned both, but it seems like years ago now that I've been shooting the R5 for some months.

In terms of the general quality of the review, I think it was fine, but missed a lot of interesting things about the camera; stuff you might expect would be observed if you publish the review 3 months after release.

Very handy comment- Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
Evidently, it is more popular. The thing is still in super short supply despite being in production for months now.

But I don't think the 5D IV being viewed as an incremental upgrade by some parts of the internet community means all that much. That's probably just the regular Canon thing. No hype around the specs on the internet, but when you read something from an actual user, it is usually very positive and somehow Canon has maintained a comfy advantage in market share despite offering the bare minimum of what the internet requested for years.

The R5 being such an aggressive push is simply uncharacteristic for Canon. I haven't read a Sony Troll post here in quite a while. It's almost like they have been obliterated. Looking forward to the R5s / R3 and R1 launch ;)

The Sony trolls are on DPreview.com. And none of their editors care. That place has gone downhill so fast.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The Sony trolls are on DPreview.com. And none of their editors care. That place has gone downhill so fast.
Thank goodness they have pretty much disappeared around here. Thank you R5/R6 and the RF “L” lenses... especially the f/1.2 lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
I am not sure if I did understand it correctly, but I believe units for the Chinese market may be region locked so that they can't properly use the new Canon image cloud service in other regions? If that is something you are interested, that may be worth looking up.
That might be the case, however personally I am NOT interested on using the canon image cloud service.... Plus I heard that if you register an email with a chinese provider you might be able to get the service in.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Can you prove your claim? I’ve been waiting 3.5 months for my order to be fulfilled.
sorry you're having a long wait, its incredibly frustrating. I'm not going to show you my receipts but it shows I put down payment Aug 28th and I received it Oct 20th.. so ok a bit closer to 2 months, but not far off :) need pics of the camera? bit of an odd request to prove it... not sure how I could that couldn't also just as easily be faked.

Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
"There is also non-optional noise reduction applied to RAW files."

Am I the only person bothered by this? It seems to me that it's sort of a violation of what RAW is generally taken to be (and perhaps that general impression is wrong), and there are times when noise can be used artistically.

I'm not a fan of it. But not for the reason you describe. You can always add more noise in post. But you can't get back the detail that the noise reduction eats.

Upvote 0
That review pales next to the experience of using an R5. It is marvelous and sublime.

I wish the EVF sensor were above the viewfinder (as it is on the A7III), I accidentally trip it when swiping or pinching the rear LCD. Too close, o well a quirk; the EVF is just too good even in poor lighting.

It does not have the weapon-heavy feel of a 5D, the perception of toughness will be missed. I will be among the minority wishing for a tilting or fixed main LCD.

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy

@Mark M I can confirm you that I was able to successfully register the camera into the Italian Canon CPS Professional database.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
sorry you're having a long wait, its incredibly frustrating. I'm not going to show you my receipts but it shows I put down payment Aug 28th and I received it Oct 20th.. so ok a bit closer to 2 months, but not far off :) need pics of the camera? bit of an odd request to prove it... not sure how I could that couldn't also just as easily be faked.
He's trolling. Ask him to prove he didn't cancel the order or prove he doesn't have the camera. He's being ridiculous. He accuses members of being liars. What possible reason would motivate a member to lie about receiving their camera? Everyone just needs to band together and put him on ignore. I suspect that he uses the same tone with B&H. Somebody there has his order on ignore, and laugh their tail end off every time he calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Don't feed the troll...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The R5 being such an aggressive push is simply uncharacteristic for Canon.
It IS characteristic for Canon, but only if they have to move because of the market or they developed a completely new platform. They did it, when they radically swapped the old FD with the EF mount and shocked a lot of users back in the 1980s. They did it with the first, fast ultrasonic AF drives and then IS, which drove many sports and wildlife pros to switch from Nikon to Canon in the 1990s. They did it with the broad introduction of "noisy" CMOS sensors when nearly every brand used CCD sensors. They used then their CMOS technology to lead the Megapixel race when it really made sense and introduced FF Full HD video with the 5D2. So they were quite innovative in the first decade of this century. In the past decade, Canon then was getting conservative, but this is also typical for their history, in particular when camera sales started to drop massively. Now, in this crisis of the camera market, they made again a big splash into the innovation pool. Canon always oscillated between innovative and conservative periods.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
That's so typical DPR: Canon offers very first 8k video in a typical 35mm camera body, and they complain about heating as a sort of downside of this product. Everybody with some technical knowledge isn't surprised that you can't film three hours of 8K videotakes without letting such a small camera cool down. 8k is a nice surplus, the R5 is no dedicated pro video tool like Canon's Cine series. In fact, I am surprised that it can film 8k about 20 minutes, that's a lot. This really a great engineering achievement given the fact, that silicon semiconductor electronics is extremely inefficient. Everybody who read some of Terry Pratchett's disc world novels, knows that trolls have to lock-up themselves in cold storing houses if they want to think fast, because of the silicon neurons in their brains.

But, finally, DPR gave this camera from Canon a very good rating, that's nice and fair... ;).

Upvote 0