Review: Canon EOS R5 by DPReview

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The difference between 5Div and R5 is night and day though. Eye AF is simply amazing...
In fact, the non-incremental improvement of the 5D4 over the 5D3 is focusing in LV with DPAF. Works quite well and gives 5D4 owners a first idea of what seems to be a huge leap with the R5/6 in real life use. Better AF performance would be the most important reason for switching to the R system - for me personally. Otherwise I like my 5D4, overall it still is a good workhorse.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
"There is also non-optional noise reduction applied to RAW files."

Am I the only person bothered by this? It seems to me that it's sort of a violation of what RAW is generally taken to be (and perhaps that general impression is wrong), and there are times when noise can be used artistically.

DPReview cannot show this. They brightened an image at ISO100 by 6 stops, that's it. They cannot show that noise reduction is bad or steals small details. It is just nerd talk, and actually just an excuse to list one more bad thing about the camera.
This is like "oh but it has AA filter" discussion. You will not see difference because AA filter in 5D cameras and R5 is so light that you'll even see some moire.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That review pales next to the experience of using an R5. It is marvelous and sublime.

I wish the EVF sensor were above the viewfinder (as it is on the A7III), I accidentally trip it when swiping or pinching the rear LCD. Too close, o well a quirk; the EVF is just too good even in poor lighting.

It does not have the weapon-heavy feel of a 5D, the perception of toughness will be missed. I will be among the minority wishing for a tilting or fixed main LCD.

Ah, yes, that's a frustration I have with EVF. Open up the flip screen and try to use it and the damn screen goes black and the EVF lights up, unless I contort myself so my knuckles don't move in front of the EVF.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Maybe they'll be back after the election. Trolling conspiracy theories on social media probably pays better right now.
I always hope that those trolls use cameras only to shoot! This is the reason why I appreciate the existence of e.g. DPReview: such photo forums provide a valuable valve for those cranks to release excess pressure. In particular, Canon as a hate object, has a particularly important therapeutic function :cool::devilish:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I always hope that those trolls use cameras only to shoot! This is the reason why I appreciate the existence of e.g. DPReview: such photo forums provide a valuable valve for those cranks to release excess pressure. In particular, Canon as a hate object, has a particularly important therapeutic function :cool::devilish:
Several months ago I got stalked by a Sony ambassador from a Facebook group to over here. All I did was tell someone asking what brand to choose, to choose whichever brand they liked colors best on. He and several others in the group interpreted that as an attack on Sony. I never mentioned any brand. Got banned from the group and that weirdo tracked me down here. F'ing weirdos. The forum was just a general photography forum, not a Sony forum. Sometimes I wonder where they get their crack. Must come in the box with the body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Several months ago I got stalked by a Sony ambassador from a Facebook group to over here. All I did was tell someone asking what brand to choose, to choose whichever brand they liked colors best on. He and several others in the group interpreted that as an attack on Sony. I never mentioned any brand. Got banned from the group and that weirdo tracked me down here. F'ing weirdos. The forum was just a general photography forum, not a Sony forum. Sometimes I wonder where they get their crack. Must come in the box with the body.

Was your name "CanonFanBoy" over there too? If so you wouldn't have to name names, the conclusion would be inescapable.

• Love
Upvote 0
I wonder, if Canon will react on the issues, that are known by now.
CPS told me, no hardwarechanges will be done at my body, if Canon decides to change the heat problem by exchanging something inside. We will see.
I am happy with it, despite some AF issues

Sorry, but I don't see why you would even postulate on this. The answer is no. There is just no way ever that canon will essentially do a recall and a rework on all the R5 and R6 bodies to "fix" the overheating issue. It is a stills camera body form factor fully packed and thus you have this "heating issue". It is to be expected, and any changes would likely have to be so major that it would be like designing a new camera.

The C70, and now a rumored super 35 8k camera is being tested. In those you will have full out video specs with no heating issues.

Besides.... there is no other camera that can do what the R5 can do with or without overheating.

I think canon will continue to optimize and improve via FW. Probably a matter of extensive testing and statisitics on their part.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Ever read comments on Sony forum?
If somebody expresses a mild criticism, or - worse - a positive comment about Canon & co., this person receives deadly F.L.A.K. from the Sony sect...
There certainly are Canon trolls, but, in my opinion, never as aggressive as the Sonies.
Again, subjectively said, Nikon, Pentax etc... users seem to be more civilized.
PS: I've once have been using a Sony A 7 , but hated the menu, ergonomics, the colors, the shutter-shake, soon replaced it with a 5 DIII:love:. But I'll never deny Sony the merit (y)of having understood the advantages of mirrorless before anybody else !

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I'd simply forget about the photo group and move on. My observation is that a lot of those tech trolls don't have to offer any good and inspiring photography. Good photographers are able to create wonderful images with gears such guys never would touch. Photography is about a trained eye, a good feeling for moments, the light, composition etc. - not dynamic range or number of pixels or what else. So just relax and enjoy your own way to good images that satisfy you :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Ever read comments on Sony forum?
If somebody expresses a mild criticism, or - worse - a positive comment about Canon & co., this person receives deadly F.L.A.K. from the Sony sect...
There certainly are Canon trolls, but, in my opinion, never as aggressive as the Sonies.
Again, subjectively said, Nikon, Pentax etc... users seem to be more civilized.
PS: I've once have been using a Sony A 7 , but hated the menu, ergonomics, the colors, the shutter-shake, soon replaced it with a 5 DIII:love:. But I'll never deny Sony the merit (y)of having understood the advantages of mirrorless before anybody else !
I see the word "Sony" and run. :eek:

• Haha
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
But I'll never deny Sony the merit (y)of having understood the advantages of mirrorless before anybody else !
Well, don't forget Panasonic, they started the digital ML game more than a decade ago, with MFT sensors of course. Plus, Canon started with mirrorless Leica copies (improved over the original) in 1935 and made them until late 1960s ;) Sony is the new Nikon. My wife shoots with Nikon since many years, but after a few attempts with real questions about real issues with her D300 more than ten years ago she gave up, because of those aggressive know-it-all idiots posting Nikon forums. This type of fanboy later moved to Sony, I'm pretty sure.

That said, I appreciate that Sony has driven progress aggressively in the past decade and lighted up a new fire under the butts of the big camera makers. Customers always profit from a healthy competition.Plus, I also met a lot of really nice people using Sony :)

Upvote 0

I caught a few Sony users sneering at my 300mm F2.8 in recent years. But one rather good friend with 2x A7R4s told me to wait for Canon.. and showed me the buffer and some minor AF quirks.

These people seem to nucleate at airports as well, showing off camera bodies like they are watches or jewelry. A neighbor (young kid with the original A7), tells me "switch, you should just do it man" without offering much of a reason.

I do appreicate what Sony has unquestionable contributed to the industry (they couldnt keep kicking that old SLT idea around), but their fans and zealots can be quite a pile. And it only took Canon a second attempt to completely catch up and surpass on some metrics. Even DPR is glad to tell us this.

Now Canon... Premium Pancake Lens time! Show us how portable this new beast can be.

Upvote 0