Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
DPR doesn't. This really is a way out-of-character Canon review for DPR.

I don't think they are nearly as biased as we Canonites believe.

They simply prioritize certain things that Canon has been conservative about supporting. They are nuts about high spec-per-dollar / 'other companies offer X at this price point' and great base ISO DR, which are two things Canon heretofore didn't deliver compared to the competition.

I'm not giving them a total pass, but they're not like DXO or something. And Chris and Jordan are money. They are not lab techs or folks pushing an agenda. They shoot and tell you how they feel. I'm here for that.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Great points you have there, I guess that is why it was difficult deciding which one to go with. I however decided to go with the R5 despite the price increase because I want a more durable body and the higher megapixel count. I also want the 8K, so that I can create still grabs from hard to catch situations.

I'm with you. My now pensionable 5D3 is highly likely to finally be retired for the R5. We're just not traveling anytime soon :rolleyes: , so I may save my money and get one next year when the price comes down a bit.

I certainly have the funds to get it right now, but I'd overwhelmingly just be shooting the family and flowers in the yard, you know?

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Is it me or is the review video rather blurry? Granted it's using a pre-production R5 but still....
I think it is just you. On my 4K display it looks fantastic. I could be wrong.
Comparing it to 1DX II, I am getting good looking footage. I will be happy to pair both together.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
DPReview has given many Canon products very good reviews. Those who nitpick their reviews and damn the entire review for justified mentioning of less than great features or performance aren’t really paying attention to the entire review.

this review, for example, only found one thing that could be a problem, short battery life, and a second, which isn’t a problem, but might cause some to not want the camera—resolution. Both are legitimate concerns to some people. But as he said, carry another battery. I alway carry extra batteries, and have never considered that to be an issue. But I do know those who refuse to. Not pros though. I suppose it’s like those who protest against wearing masks now. They somehow think it abridges their freedom, when it’s only common sense.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Definitely fantastic review. Let's see the bias from "three blind man and an elephant".

R5 vs. R6 is raised in the video, R5 allows me to do completely new use cases though:
- no PC workflow with 5ghz image.canon upload
- 8K raw video entirely for computational photography: i've successfully done focus stacking from 4k all-i video with manual focus pull, but 8k Raw, 100-200 images - mouth-watering
- also i'll definitely need more MPs, as I want to crop from my now 8 stops IBISed 28-70mm F2 - that thing will stay on the R5 90% of the time

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
So to summarise -

The R6 is just as good as the specs suggest and the footage from the pre-productin R5 is WHOOOOOOOOOAh good. And the IBIS is Olympus level on a FF

The video looked really nice. I’m super curious what mode(s) they used. If that’s the binned 4K footage for instance than the whole heat thing is a non-issue until you get to HFR.

Upvote 0
I think one clarification is missing from Canon: how well does the IBIS work with EF lenses?

It was somewhere, but I don't remember where exactly. Basically the IBIS will work with IS in EF lenses, but it won't be 'coordinated', so not as good as with RF lenses with IS.

Upvote 0
This a new to me really expecially from Chris. He was always negative about Canon cameras. Now with the last review of R6 I see a much more honest approach of him about the camera. That's great because I expect honesty as a viewer when I watch a review of a camera brand and not fanboy-ism that many youtubers are cause of different reasons behind! At least they got a sub back.

Upvote 0
I watched this, but it still feels very much like a preview. I want to see inside the viewfinder and get at look at the AF performance. I want to see images out of the camera. I do not care one little bit how they perform in video.
AF performance is terribly boring, just watch Jared Polin using the 1Dx3 as mirrorless, then you know .. it’s 95% as good as Sony a9ii

• Haha
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
To be sincere, I am a little surprised that they spent so much time talking about how good the R6 is. DP review don't normally flatter Canon cameras bur this time they did. They must have been extra-ordinarily impressed.

Or perhaps with the news about Olympus going under they need to capture more Canon fans attention.

Self-preservation is a powerful thing. ;)

Upvote 0
Basically a Panasonic s1h:
- Minus active cooling
+ best in class video AF vs none
+ Plus weather sealing
+ weight & size
+ lenses

It will be interesting to see if we get something like an R5C with active cooling and no recording time limits or if that's saved for a new RF series cinema body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

AF performance is terribly boring, just watch Jared Polin using the 1Dx3 as mirrorless, then you know .. it’s 95% as good as Sony a9ii

AF performance is the most important thing for me. Like are these new cameras up to the level of a DSLR yet or do they still struggle. There wasn't even talk of the EVF speed and latency, does it get you close enough to a OVF now that it is worth trying to track an animal and you are no longer a 3rd of a second behind.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Or perhaps with the news about Olympus going under they need to capture more Canon fans attention.

Self-preservation is a powerful thing. ;)

Considering that outside of Japan Olympus' market share is an order of magnitude less than Canon or Sony I doubt they're making any decisions based on what's going on at Olympus.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
AF performance is the most important thing for me. Like are these new cameras up to the level of a DSLR yet or do they still struggle. There wasn't even talk of the EVF speed and latency, does it get you close enough to a OVF now that it is worth trying to track an animal and you are no longer a 3rd of a second behind.
Well, it was said that they preferred to use the LiveView on the 1DX III due to superior AF and that AF on the R6 matches or exceeds what they valued about it in the 1DX III right?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Great points you have there, I guess that is why it was difficult deciding which one to go with. I however decided to go with the R5 despite the price increase because I want a more durable body and the higher megapixel count. I also want the 8K, so that I can create still grabs from hard to catch situations.
I remember reading that durability was supposed to be better on the R5 but everything indicate that it is similar on both. Which is a good thing.

Upvote 0