Review: Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM by TDP

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
Since all my favorite pictures are the ones taken in high-contrast situations, I'll rather wait for an L version of the 85mm, and, meanwhile, use my EF 1,4/85 on the R. Or: wait for a hypothetical RF 2,8/80 L macro...
I HATE CAs.

Dantana

EOS RP
Jan 29, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
www.flickr.com
I had this one on my list to replace my EF 1.8, but I think I'm going to hold off for a bit. It would be really nice to have closer focus capability. But even though I do see an increase in sharpness in the test images, I can't say I look at my images from the EF and think, "Man, I really wish these were sharper." If I didn't have the EF, I think I would grab it. I think I will put off duplicating focal lengths I already have for the moment.

If I was going to replace an existing lens right now, I think it hinges on what the 14-35 ends up looking like to swap for my 17-40.

The thing is, all my lenses function really well with the adapter and give me AF that covers the frame, as opposed to what I had on my 6D. The RF 24-105L was a no brainer with the kit discount/rebate, and size vs v1+adapter. Replacing other things I have is harder to justify from an economic standpoint, since I don't make money with my gear.

Codebunny

Elil
Sep 5, 2018
Scotland
It looks nay bad. But I would love to see a full line of f/1.8 L primes to compete with the S line. Something compact but still with the fast focus motors and uncompromising build and IQ. Maybe Canon will do these as 1.4 but those would be just as big as the 1.2.

<-- start Taboola -->