Review: G1 X MK2 by DPReview

P

PicaPica

that the sensor performance is reported to be the same or slightly worse than the G1X sensor is a bit disappointing of course.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/PowerShot-G1X

the G1X II sensor is bigger than the sony RX100 sensor, yet shows worse results.

that can´t be explained with an old manufacturing process either.
as some have reported the powershot sensors are produced on a smaller litho process than the DSLR sensors.

i have yet to test the G1X II but from the specs and reports the sony A6000 looks more tempting... for less money too.

Upvote 0
Canon should have given the G1X II a newer sensor.

PicaPica said:
that the sensor performance is reported to be the same or slightly worse than the G1X sensor is a bit disappointing of course.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/PowerShot-G1X

the G1X II sensor is bigger than the sony RX100 sensor, yet shows worse results.

that can´t be explained with an old manufacturing process either.
as some have reported the powershot sensors are produced on a smaller litho process than the DSLR sensors.

i have yet to test the G1X II but from the specs and reports the sony A6000 looks more tempting... for less money too.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I used my new G1 X yesterday, It is a reasonable size for a walk-around camera, and the tilt out lcd works well. The big issue is composing a image on a sunny day. I'm not going to pay $240 for a $50 electronic viewfinder.

For example, I could not tell if the rock in the background was in focus using the rear LCD in the bright sun, and did not want to fool with figuring out how to set the aperture manually. So, Willie Willey's rock is OOF.

Then, I cut off the legs of the sax player.

Having 24mm equivalent is nice, I was quite close to the clock tower and could not get a clear view at other locations, people were everywhere. With the 24mm setting, I could get it in.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
PicaPica said:

It's the usual Canon Sensor story :'(

Quote from DPReview:

"These examples (and our test scene on the coming pages) suggest that the RX100 II's sensor is so much better than the G1 X II's that it cancels-out much of the dynamic range and high ISO noise advantages that the G1 X II's larger sensor should bring...

Overall, though, the larger sensor in the Canon is much of the reason that the camera is so much less pocketable than the Sony, yet the full benefits of that additional sensor size are not realized: the Canon's image quality advantage isn't proportionate with its greater bulk."

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
drjlo said:
PicaPica said:

It's the usual Canon Sensor story :'(

Quote from DPReview:

"These examples (and our test scene on the coming pages) suggest that the RX100 II's sensor is so much better than the G1 X II's that it cancels-out much of the dynamic range and high ISO noise advantages that the G1 X II's larger sensor should bring...

Overall, though, the larger sensor in the Canon is much of the reason that the camera is so much less pocketable than the Sony, yet the full benefits of that additional sensor size are not realized: the Canon's image quality advantage isn't proportionate with its greater bulk."

All that is basically saying that for its size, the Sony sensor is very good, but it still does not match the larger Canon sensor. So if almost as good means better to some, that's fine. The small size of the RX100 to me was a deal breaker, its too small for my hands. For others, its ideal.

Upvote 0