Review: How Did Zeiss Go Backwards With the Milvus 15mm f/2.8?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The-Digital-Picture has completed their review of the Zeiss Milvus 15mm f/2.8 and have come away with some surprising results.</p>
<p><strong>From The-Digital-Picture:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>This lens’ predecessor, the Zeiss 15mm f/2.8, was one of my all-time favorite lenses and I very much looked forward to evaluating the Milvus version. Unfortunately, this evaluation became a very time-consuming one with four different lenses being examined. I can’t make a lens look any better than it really is and, while this lens is really sharp in the center of the frame, I can’t make the corners shine and that leaves me wanting, especially relative to the lens I previously owned. If these lenses truly have the same optical design, something happened to degrade the image quality. <a href="https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Zeiss-15mm-f-2.8-Milvus-Lens.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>I find this shocking, as the original Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 is my favourite wide angle lens for landscape work and has proven to be a workhorse and optical gem. I’m shocked the Milvus 15mm f/2.8 appears to have taken a step backwards.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I had thought about buying this lens for some time.
I stopped reading when I got to this:

The first lens was not up to our expectations so, as usual, we tested another. With the second still falling short, we brought in a third lens that, unfortunately, appeared similar to the first two. The first three lenses were retail-acquired, so I opted for a Zeiss loan to get the fourth copy. I was certain that lens would be optimal, but in the end, was least satisfied with this one (#4 in our image quality test results).

I think Bryan could have put one line at the top of the review that would have summed it up, "Most likely, you will not want to buy this lens"

Very good, yet disappointing review.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
sanj said:
Mr Bean said:
I have a previous model of the 15mm f2.8 and its a gem. Sharp across the entire frame and a beauty to use.

I had it. Replaced it with Canon 16-35 2.8 III. Could not be happier.

Hammer, meet nail. That's spot on:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1073&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=794&CameraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

So you can get this Milvus, or you can get a sharper lens with autofocus, the ability to zoom, and the option to use a relatively standard filter size and a standard Lee 100x100/100x150 front filter setup ...and save $700.

The Milvus' only upsides are possibly coma (for astro, which I haven't seen tested yet), vignetting and if it is de-clickable like the other Milvus lenses for video purposes (but that might only be an upside for a Nikon mount version that actually has a mechanical aperture ring).

I'm sorry, if you are going to offer a prime to stack up against the 16-35 f/2.8L III, it either has to be cheaper or it had better split the atom optically. This Milvus doesn't. Move on.

- A

Upvote 0
Makes me lusting for the 16-35 f/4.0 Canon because of its much better IQ and better flare resistance.
Sigma is very sharp at f/1.8 (!!!!!) but contrast in contralight is poor.
The Milvus version has advanced in contralight contrast compared to its predecessor but the resolution in the corners is very bad (for a lens of such heritage).

While not being exactly f/2.8 nor 15mm the EF 16-35 f/4.0 from Canon seems to be a very good option and throws in Zoom, AF and IS which are really welcome tools supporting photography.

Upvote 0