Review: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG Art by TDP

infared said:
Thanks for all the info John. I have had good results with the 35mm, 50mm and now the 20mm Art Lenses on my 5DIII....I carefully calibrated them on the Sigma Dock...Perhaps it is just my shooting style that causes me to seem to have more consistent results than others...not sure. I just want a Canon Camera to function like the Sony.....Really do not want to get into buying the Sony A7RII , adapter etc...but clearly at this point it has some great advantages. Glad you are having such a great experience with it.!!! For now I will limp along with my 5DIII. :p
Awesome to hear that you have had good AF performance with them. Perhaps I never gave it a real shot as I never used the dock. I only calibrated mine with FoCal with the in body adjustment on the 5D3 and 6D. The problem I experienced was more on the inconsistency side even after I would dial it in with AFMA.

Totally understand your feelings on not wanting to dive into buying into another system with adapters, etc. I didn't want to either. But it just worked for me and my shooting needs after trying it out. It isn't my perfect body by any stretch. But it does provide me with a lot of features that I have been making a lot of use of which there didn't exist any alternative for currently. I would gladly buy a Canon version if it were to ever come to fruition. There are definitely things that I miss from my DSLR days not too long ago that I don't have shooting Fuji and Sony now. So you're definitely not limping along with the 5D3! lol. It is still an amazing camera if that is the feature set one needs. Just different strengths and weaknesses.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
JohnDizzo15 said:
infared said:
Thanks for all the info John. I have had good results with the 35mm, 50mm and now the 20mm Art Lenses on my 5DIII....I carefully calibrated them on the Sigma Dock...Perhaps it is just my shooting style that causes me to seem to have more consistent results than others...not sure. I just want a Canon Camera to function like the Sony.....Really do not want to get into buying the Sony A7RII , adapter etc...but clearly at this point it has some great advantages. Glad you are having such a great experience with it.!!! For now I will limp along with my 5DIII. :p
Awesome to hear that you have had good AF performance with them. Perhaps I never gave it a real shot as I never used the dock. I only calibrated mine with FoCal with the in body adjustment on the 5D3 and 6D. The problem I experienced was more on the inconsistency side even after I would dial it in with AFMA.

Totally understand your feelings on not wanting to dive into buying into another system with adapters, etc. I didn't want to either. But it just worked for me and my shooting needs after trying it out. It isn't my perfect body by any stretch. But it does provide me with a lot of features that I have been making a lot of use of which there didn't exist any alternative for currently. I would gladly buy a Canon version if it were to ever come to fruition. There are definitely things that I miss from my DSLR days not too long ago that I don't have shooting Fuji and Sony now. So you're definitely not limping along with the 5D3! lol. It is still an amazing camera if that is the feature set one needs. Just different strengths and weaknesses.

I have Olympus MFT cameras and my ideal FF for all of my EF-mount glass would be a FF Mirrorless camera set up just like the OMD EMI or EM5II. Just love the handling of those two cameras. They are Mirrorless made by a camera company...not a MEGA electronics company. I think that they get it more...but as you know the sensor is small...but still get kicking images with the best glass. Would love a FF Canon like that. It's great to review the images in the VF...that it one of my favorite attributes of mirrorless. You can REALLY see what you have immediately on site. There is no substitute for that... A lupe and the rear screen on a Canon is a pain and fidgety. ...but as we know...no system really has it all..because "all" is in the eye of the beholder. It never ends.

Upvote 0
Should be noted that the Sigma 20/1.4 EF mount does not work on Canon C300mk2. No iris control, lens stuck wide open. No communication with the lens, neither iris nor AF.

Sigma support has told me they don't test for nor support Canon Cinema EOS cameras. So no firmware upgrade in sight from Sigma. At least not until Canon releases a stills camera that exhibit the same issue with these Sigma lenses...

I have tested this myself. I'm not the only one with this issue.
So far only 20/1.4 and 24-35/2.0 of the Sigma lenses exhibit this compatibility issue, afaik.

Upvote 0