Review: Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Lens

Aug 28, 2012
For some reason the Sigma is being listed here in Australia at A$6,000. Normally the exchange rate would have it much higher based on US/Euro prices. That makes the Sigma a steal given the Canon 500ii is around $10,000. We don't tend to get refurb offers and the second hand market for Big Whites is almost non-existent. I have always shot Canon but as an amateur I don't get any special service so I don't consider that a consideration. When I last had an issue with the 7DII (under warranty), Canon's response was frankly underwhelming. If the focus shift can be remedied, I'd go for this and trade in my 300ii.

Upvote 0

kiwiengr

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2015
dslrdummy said:
For some reason the Sigma is being listed here in Australia at A$6,000. Normally the exchange rate would have it much higher based on US/Euro prices. That makes the Sigma a steal given the Canon 500ii is around $10,000. We don't tend to get refurb offers and the second hand market for Big Whites is almost non-existent. I have always shot Canon but as an amateur I don't get any special service so I don't consider that a consideration. When I last had an issue with the 7DII (under warranty), Canon's response was frankly underwhelming. If the focus shift can be remedied, I'd go for this and trade in my 300ii.

The site I have checked in Oz (a reputable bricks & mortar shop) for the Canon 500 II has it at AUD 7989 inc 10% GST , comparable with Adorama's USD 6099 (exc tax). Some years ago Canon prices were over the top in Oz, but are comparable now. Ink for printers are a different matter.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Plainsman said:
...they should have made a 500/5.6 at half the price and half the weight....

I don't think $3,000 500/5.6 would fly.

From f/4 to f/5.6 is 1 full stop. But from f/5.6 to f/6.3 is only a third of a stop (the next full stop after 5.6 is f/8). So with 150-600 being at f/6.3 at 500mm, you'd be paying 3x the price to get just a third stop.

Of course, the prime is likely to have better IQ. But I think at 500/5.6, it would have to be sub $2k... maybe sub $1.5k, even, before there was a lot more interest.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
iowapipe said:
"The build quality appears military-grade"

I highly doubt there is any MIL-SPEC rating for this lens. I know, I know - it's all about attracting interest and clicks.
It's just a silly thing to write when it's a mostly adults reading the post. Kids on the other hand... I suppose the carbon fiber hood gives the illusion? (checked Sigma's site just to cover my bases: no MIL-SPEC rating)

Mil-spec / military grade can opener. MIL-SPEC has nothing to do with quality... only the specifications the military requires for an item, which can be sub-par compared to civilian items for the same use. There is no such thing as a MIL-SPEC rating. MIL-SPEC is a document.

These little can openers worked great in the field for c-rations, but their construction, while military grade, is far inferior to what was available on the civilian market.

Attachments

• Can Opener.jpg
    Can Opener.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0