Review: Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sport Lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The-Digital-Picture has completed their review of the Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. At $5999 the new Sigma seems like a good deal, until you consider that you can buy a Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II refurbished from Canon for under $7000 on occasion. I think that alone makes this lens a hard sell to its target audience.</p>
<p><strong>From TDP</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>The Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM Sports Lens takes one into the big leagues of sports and wildlife photography at a fraction of the price of the previous options, those by Canon and Nikon.</p>
<p>Overall, this lens is a really nice one. The build quality appears military-grade, ready for heavy duty outdoor use. The features list is about as long as they get and adequate accessories are included. Though some focus shift is present, the image quality coming from this lens – especially when used wide open at f/4 – is ready for a 2-page spread or a wall-sized cutout and the background blur that 500mm f/4 can produce practically cuts out the subject in-camera. <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-500mm-f-4-DG-OS-HSM-Sports-Lens.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>We’re looking forward to seeing more reviews of the latest Sigma supertelephoto lens.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
AJ said:
It seems a bit unfair to compare the Sigma's launching price to a refurbished Canon. Presumably the Sigma will get a rebate at some point in time. But I suppose if you were in the market right now then this would be a fair price comparison.

I don't think it's unfair, it's the reality of choice a consumer has. Sigma lenses rarely get anything more than small rebates, especially the new Global Vision lenses.

Upvote 0
"The build quality appears military-grade"

I highly doubt there is any MIL-SPEC rating for this lens. I know, I know - it's all about attracting interest and clicks.
It's just a silly thing to write when it's a mostly adults reading the post. Kids on the other hand... I suppose the carbon fiber hood gives the illusion? (checked Sigma's site just to cover my bases: no MIL-SPEC rating)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Disappointed that there wasn't a comparison with the 400 DO II. That, I think, is going to be the other common choice people are facing in their minds between this lens and Canon, as they sit in the same price and function ranges.

The lenses seem fairly comparable, both being of excellent quality. Aside from any differences in AF, long term compatibility etc, the real difference is an operational weight of 127oz, with the heavy front elements further away, for the Sigma 500mm vs 80oz for the Canon 400mm. If your main criteria are for hand holding and walking around with a lens, the Canon is the clear winner. If it's longer focal length on a tripod, the Sigma gives you 25% more reach.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon Rumors said:
AJ said:
It seems a bit unfair to compare the Sigma's launching price to a refurbished Canon. Presumably the Sigma will get a rebate at some point in time. But I suppose if you were in the market right now then this would be a fair price comparison.

I don't think it's unfair, it's the reality of choice a consumer has. Sigma lenses rarely get anything more than small rebates, especially the new Global Vision lenses.

I agree. I've actually thought seriously about investing in a 500mm f4 and am waiting to see if it ever shows up again on the refurbished site. At $6,000 for the Sigma, I'm willing to wait a year or more for a refurbished Canon. If the Sigma were $5,000, my decision would be made a little more difficult.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
iowapipe said:

I highly doubt there is any MIL-SPEC rating for this lens. I know, I know - it's all about attracting interest and clicks.
It's just a silly thing to write when it's a mostly adults reading the post. Kids on the other hand... I suppose the carbon fiber hood gives the illusion? (checked Sigma's site just to cover my bases: no MIL-SPEC rating)

You must be fun at parties ::)

Not everything is meant to be taken literally.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
AJ said:

+1 seems like a fair enough comparison, especially in that price range...

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
AJ said:

Of course it's unfair especially if you get your head around the fact the USA is not the centre of the universe and in moist countries that subsidise USA prices we pay significantly more for the Canon, can't get refurbs and the Sigma pricing will be relatively a lot cheaper as they don't hit us up to subsidise their US pricing. SO yeah most of us don't have that choice.

Upvote 0
Mr Majestyk said:
Canon Rumors said:
AJ said:

Of course it's unfair especially if you get your head around the fact the USA is not the centre of the universe and in moist countries that subsidise USA prices we pay significantly more for the Canon, can't get refurbs and the Sigma pricing will be relatively a lot cheaper as they don't hit us up to subsidise their US pricing. SO yeah most of us don't have that choice.

===

The brutal financial reality is that the USA IS THE CENTRE of the world
for Canon as MORE THAN 70% of their market for ALL of their photographic,
micro-electronics, display systems, optical engineering products, etc.
IS bought by the USA.

On a financial basis Europe, China, Japan, Africa, Canada, Australia,
South America, etc. are pip-squeaks when it comes to the sheer
AMOUNT of Canon product sold in the world. China is catching
up fast but is still NOWHERE NEAR what the USA spends.

The price discounts goto the country that actually
DOES SPEND waaaaaaaay more on Canon gear
than ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD !!!!!!
THAT is the R-E-A-L-I-T-Y which is the USA!!!!
(i'm Canadian by the way!)

---

Now if you DO NOT want to spend that much money
for a 500mm lens, may I SUGGEST a very good zoom
lens option: the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 Zoom Lens Sports version
which is about $1950 and I think works at 90% of what that
the Sigma and Canon 500 mm Telephotos do.
Yes I KNOW its only F5 so it's not the fastest lens out there
...BUT....
That 10% of extra final image quality CAN be compensated for
by DOING better framing, making more optimal use of shutter
speed and better end-user ISO and Iris adjustments.

I could save more $3000 and use it to buy
a better 50mm or 85mm prime lens instead!
At telephoto lengths I need more variable zoom
capability than absolute image quality!

To punch the sharpness on this zoom lens,
I usually add a 1.5 or 2.0 pixel radius UNSHARP MASK
AFTER I punch the contrast and saturation by 10% to 15%
on my final photos to compensate for the slower lens.
It seems to work for me! So at least give it a try
at your favorite local camera shop!

Sigma 150-600mm Zoom Lens Sports version

This guy does a very good review of it:
(NOTE there are TWO versions of this lens...
the cheaper "Contemporary version" at $1000
and the more expensive Sports-version at $1950)
http://froknowsphoto.com/sigma-150-600-realworld-review/

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
HarryFilm said:
The brutal financial reality is that the USA IS THE CENTRE of the world for Canon as MORE THAN 70% of their market for ALL of their photographic, micro-electronics, display systems, optical engineering products, etc.
IS bought by the USA.
On a financial basis Europe, China, Japan, Africa, Canada, Australia, South America, etc. are pip-squeaks when it comes to the sheer AMOUNT of Canon product sold in the world. China is catching up fast but is still NOWHERE NEAR what the USA spends.

Actually, Canon own investors relations data say that Canon sales are well spread, about a quarter in each region (Japan, Americas, Europe and Asia/Oceania), see:

http://www.canon.com/ir/finance/highlight.html

(and it looks thereby that it's really Japan alone spending more :) )

The difference thereby probably come from the different structure Canon has on those markets. For example in Europe it's more fragmented, there's Canon Europe, but also the many HQs in each State, which may make the structure less agile, and finding refurbished lenses harder.

European markets are also usually far less aggressive than US ones, and prices have different dynamics.

Upvote 0
It's an interesting review. But I think the problem Sigma has is the S/H Canon 500mm f4 LIS. If I was in the market for a 500mm f4...I would always veer towards Canon big whites for a multitude of reasons. While it's good to see Sigma starting to produce world class optics, it's hard for them to compete against a company that a) defines the breed and b) been doing it a lot longer.
So my main question with Sigma is reliability and pro support. Here in the UK I can rent a backup directly from Canon and have my lens serviced / repaired in 3 days. There's a whole support network and that's more important than retail price.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Canon Rumors said:
AJ said:

I agree. I've actually thought seriously about investing in a 500mm f4 and am waiting to see if it ever shows up again on the refurbished site. At $6,000 for the Sigma, I'm willing to wait a year or more for a refurbished Canon. If the Sigma were $5,000, my decision would be made a little more difficult.

Playing devils advocate, would you consider a refurbished Sigma at $5000 when/if they became available?

Also, I think it's a silly comparison for a couple reasons:

1. How often are refurb deals on the 500 found? Currently it's listed at $7200 and out of stock. CPW shows refurb was last in stock 31 weeks ago! Sure, there is a crowd that might wait a year as you stated for a chance to score a refurb. There's also likely the crowd that wants one now.

2. It's not like Sigma randomly picked some price point out of nowhere. Just like Canon they likely have a large marketing team dedicated to running the numbers. Sigma obviously believes it will sell at this price point, otherwise the price would be different. Are we all smarter than Sigma with judging the market conditions? I'm not.

That all being said, I think I'd likely fall in your camp though. Having the Sigma 150-600S and having the itch to try out a big white, I think I would be inclined to wait for a Canon deal then trade in my Sigma ;)

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
It's an interesting review. But I think the problem Sigma has is the S/H Canon 500mm f4 LIS. If I was in the market for a 500mm f4...I would always veer towards Canon big whites for a multitude of reasons. While it's good to see Sigma starting to produce world class optics, it's hard for them to compete against a company that a) defines the breed and b) been doing it a lot longer.
So my main question with Sigma is reliability and pro support. Here in the UK I can rent a backup directly from Canon and have my lens serviced / repaired in 3 days. There's a whole support network and that's more important than retail price.

The MK1 Canon weighs almost 1.5lbs more than the Sigma, which is a real consideration. And it was released the same year as the 400/2.8 MK1, which was recently no-serviced so I would not be surprised if it wasn't too much longer before it joins it's brethren in no-service land.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
I wonder how big of an issue is the focus shift when stopping down?

Close to MFD , it will be a bigger deal. Farther out, not so much (like any other lens)

It's the kind of thing you can compensate for once you've gotten enough practice with a lens typically. If you know the focus is going to shift a bit closer to the camera @ F/8, you AF past where you actually want it to be.

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
iowapipe said:

You must be fun at parties ::)

Not everything is meant to be taken literally.

Yep, usually so. But, that was my point of posting: it was a silly thing to say unless you are a 10yo infatuated with the Military. Thanks for your effort tho.

Upvote 0