Review - Tamron 35mm f/1.8 Di VC USD

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
but Europe seems to be getting a lot of sticker shock on these lenses. My experience says that Europe will also see a bigger price drop after a bit, while the North American price will pretty much stay the same. The Tamron 24-70 VC and 70-200 VC have hardly budged in their price in North America since introduction.
To give that experience some numbers here the actual prices in Germany:
Tamron 35mm f/1.8 Di VC USD
MRSP: 1099,- Euro
actual: 789,- Euro

Tamron 45mm f/1.8 Di VC USD
actual: 759,- Euro

That are prices for Canon. Prices for Sony and Nikon mount are even cheaper.
So almost 30% discount right from the start. So much for MRSP ::)

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
As an owner of a 50mm f/1.8 STM, I can attest that it's not a "crap" lens. Inexpensive, yes, but overall a good product, especially for the price.

Well, maybe this is what I need. But I didn't see a bunch of 50 1.4 owners changing over. Regardless of price, if it is at least as sharp as the 1.4 @ f1.8 and focuses quickly and accurately in low light, then it should be a lot better than 50 1.4 except the 1/3 stop max aperture.

I haven't heard amazing things about he AF though. I guess it seems accurate so maybe I should look at it again since this is only an occasional-use FL for me.

A 50mm version of the 35 f2 IS would be ideal for me.

Upvote 0
searsie said:
Lurker from way back - new member from Canada. Anyone have any idea of release of the 45mm in Canada? 35 was available late last month.

It's here, but the question is whether there will be any stock. I know the distributor in Canada is getting one more order in before the year is out (my 45mm is in that order). Contact Amplis Foto to preorder: http://store.amplis.com/p/tamron-45mm-f-1-8-di-vc-usd-sp?pp=24

If you use the code AMPLIS52014 you can get 5% off the order.

Upvote 0
TeT said:
Just got my 45mm today. It was the close focus / magnification that sealed the deal. Found one used on eBay (who bails on a new lens that quick) It checked out perfect and is awesome.... Thanks for the reviews and recommendations...

That's very strange (that someone would already be selling), but I'm glad it worked out for you!

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:

Pretty much the same in France...
The Canon 35 f/2 IS goes for 500€ and the Tamron 35 f/1.8 for almost 800€.
From B&H, the price difference is 50$... At that price, the Tamron is not that attractive... It's even pricier than the Sigma 35 Art (at around 739€)...

A bit disappointed, there, I admit...

Djaaf.

Upvote 0
Djaaf said:
Maximilian said:

Pretty much the same in France...
The Canon 35 f/2 IS goes for 500€ and the Tamron 35 f/1.8 for almost 800€.
From B&H, the price difference is 50$... At that price, the Tamron is not that attractive... It's even pricier than the Sigma 35 Art (at around 739€)...

A bit disappointed, there, I admit...

Djaaf.

I suspect that price will drop. The US price will probably stay the same for years (save an occasional sale), but I expect the price in some European markets to drop.

Upvote 0