Revisiting the Canon Cinema EOS C50 and what it could be

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There is some renewed talk about the Canon Cinema EOS C50, as sleuths around the web try to put together previous information to make a prediction about what the Cinema EOS C50 is going to be.
With Panasonic announcing the Panasonic BGH1 4K cinema camera in box camera form factor, there is renewed interest in what the Canon Cinema EOS C50 will be.
There are now some suggestions that the Canon Cinema EOS C50 will too be a box camera. This I cannot confirm or deny at this time.
We have this patent from back in September of 2019 uncovered by Canon News showing a box camera with an RF mount...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2020
I saw these rumours too. This looks like the coming XC20.
Per your rumours:
  • Replacement for the XC10/XC15
  • Same 1″ sensor as the XF705
  • CFexpress slot for internal RAW recording
  • SD cards for XF-AVC/MP4 recording
  • An integrated lens with 10x zoom and constant f2.8 aperture
  • LP-E6NH batteries
The pictures above shows 1 LP-E6NH battery, and 1 large card slot (CF Express?) More in line with XC20 rumour, that records RAW, and so needs CF Express.

Upvote 0
Curious to see where this goes. If the price is significant lower as the rumored one (same as the rumored C70 price and the actual price) it could be very interesting for me. I am looking for a decent Canon camera to record video with all the bells and whistles and reuse my EF-S / APS-C glass collection. There is no decent option right now (like a XT4 but a Canon version) for an affordable price (max $2500) the C70 is out of my league. And so is swapping bodies + all glass to FF (Canon R6).

I wonder if there could be any problems for video with EF-S glass and Sigma 18-35 on super 35 sensor?

Hopefully since there is no IBIS they have a better implementation with Elecronic stab compared to the current dslr / mirrorless with electronic stabilisation. Or some cool new features like Sony with gyro data to get super smooth shots with software in post. It has some downsides as well, the gyro data method, it's slow in post and you need a faster shutterspeed. But the option is very nice to have in your kit for certain creative shots.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Per your rumours:
  • LP-E6NH batteries
The pictures above shows 1 LP-E6NH battery, and 1 large card slot (CF Express?) More in line with XC20 rumour, that records RAW, and so needs CF Express.

You have to consider that these drawings are from 2018, there obviously won't be a CFast card. Lots of things will have changed in the design since then.

Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Per your rumours:
  • LP-E6NH batteries
I agree. Those drawings look more like an XC series camera (which I totally might buy) with an integrated lens. I don't see anything in the drawings to suggest that it's an RF mount.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
You have to consider that these drawings are from 2018, there obviously won't be a CFast card. Lots of things will have changed in the design since then.
Could be. My guess or wish, is that the C50 is a mini version of the C70. One mini XLR port. Probably the same LCD screen. The length of the C50 has to fit 2xLPN60 battery? That's why I don't think it's this box design. I'm guessing ofcourse.
I'm also guessing that Canon has implemented the XLR module and body of the XC15 into one body - XC20, so no need for external module.

Upvote 0
I think C50 will NOT have a box design. Box design might be for those who add more special equipment to their cameras and while the C70 is a more rounded "use it out of the box" I expect the C50 to be a similar overall design.

I expect
  • NO dual gain sensor
  • simplified audio section, NO XLR, but maybe direct controls for left/right channel of 3.5mm mic input
  • maybe a reduced ND filter set (6 or 8 stops max.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Drawing C looks like it is showing a rear LCD screen like the previous XC series cameras. It also looks like there may be XLR ports below the screen on the rear of the camera. If so, it could be useable "out of the box" without requiring a ton of accessories like Panasonic's new box camera, but it certainly looks like it is built to allow for customization.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Why does canon continue to believe in the following pricepoints ?

- 2400 usd for consumer grade 4k60
-5000 usd for 4:2:2

Every year the sales are dropping by atleast 25%. I Just dont get it.

These segments aren't being hit by the contraction of the market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I agree. Those drawings look more like an XC series camera (which I totally might buy) with an integrated lens. I don't see anything in the drawings to suggest that it's an RF mount.
A constant f/2.8 with a photo lens zoom is an immediate buy for me. There might even be a chance they stabilize the 1” sensor!
I loved the idea of the XC-15 but hated the lens and that awful viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
8-bit and clog 2/3. Nah. How are you ever going to pull a decent grade from that? All the competitors are doing 10-bit now. 8-Bit and no RAW can't be right. That is not a C line camera.
If C70 is a smaller C300 without RAW then those C50 specs would be a C200 without RAW.
8 bit would not interest me but there are plenty of people that use C200s and never shoot RAW.
If it is cheap enough then it will sell.

Upvote 0