RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Post your shots from Canon's first RF pancake lens!

I just took mine out of the box, here's my first shot with it. I'll have more in a few weeks, since I'll be bringing this convenient little lens on vacation.

"Tiger Lily"
View attachment 209921
EOS R3, RF 28mm f/2.8 STM, 1/320 s, f/2.8, ISO 100
That's nice; actually the background has the potential to become nervous, but it isn't. Im impressed, especially for the price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As expected, the RF 28/2.8 is a great little walk around lens for street photography. Here are a few examples from Italy.

"Porchetteria Beverages" – Interior of a porchetteria in Rome where we stopped for a snack.
Porchetteria Beverages.jpg
EOS R8, RF 28mm f/2.8 STM, 1/60 s, f/2.8, ISO 250

"Campo de' Fiori Flavors" – Examples of the ample delicacies at the Campo de' Fiori market in Rome.
Campo de' Fiori Flavors.jpg
EOS R8, RF 28mm f/2.8 STM, 1/320 s, f/3.5, ISO 100

"Taormina Cobbler" – Sandlemaker in Taormina, Sicily.
Taormina Cobbler.jpg
EOS R8, RF 28mm f/2.8 STM, 1/80 s, f/5.6, ISO 160

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
humm....did that wrong, can not add captions in the same post

Mostly M6 mk 2

These are sized down to 4x6 at 300 dpi for the forum.

Door Lock.
The idea was to check corner to corner sharpness, but the door is not really flat anyway and the plywood has gotten wet and warped, so not really a great spot to test, but wide open, very usable.

Espresso.
5000 iso, wide open, a little noisy but sharpness is fine. I don't love the way her face was rendered in teh background, but maybe I am asking too much for 400 bucks?

Old Age Home.
Shooting up this time, no corrections other than my shitty not straight horizon, did not distort the building anymore than expected.
shot wide ope at 2.8 so I could check sharpness corner to to corner. Not bad at all.

Old Lawyer, climbed a bench, shot down a little to see how the building would twist, not bad at all, no perspective corrections.
F4, sharp everywhere.

Tracey,
regular at the cafe I hang out at, the nicest person you could sit and chat with, cropped slightly.
2500 iso wide open (which was not really needed, I could have shot 640)

Overall for the money I am pleased, we will see what the auto focus is like in a club or in the streets at night, but it is small, light, fits in a jacket pocket and generally very sharp, and for newspapers and wire services will do the job until a solid 1.8 or f2 comes along.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
This lens seems to be one of the best values for money. Light, sharp, small and inexpensive. Well done!
Distortion and vignetting are its only drawbacks, but easily corrected, even in camera. :)
Do not base vignetting on my pix, I often a little in post. The b+w has some for sure.

Upvote 0