RF L-Series super zoom??? (28-300, 24-240 or?)

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
I am a press photographer with over 20 years experience. About a year ago I switched from Nikon F-Mount professional, full frame DSLRs to the Canon RF R3 (mirrorless, full frame).
Just like other press photographers, I need a reliable, rugged, weather-sealed, L-Series lens with a wide zoom range (28-300mm, 24-240mm or?) and a manual focus switch for my photojournalism. Will Canon EVER make such a lens?
Currently I use the Canon consumer-grade 24-240mm NON-L-Series lens (NOT weather-sealed, not heavy duty and NO MANUAL FOCUS SWITCH).with my Canon R-3 bodies. This lens is a compromise. I will not buy an obsolete, expensive EF 28-300mm lens that was designed way, way back in 2004, plus an EF-RF adapter.

Apr 25, 2011
There exist some patents for such lenses:

However, it's hard to tell whether (and when) any of these lenses appear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
There exist some patents for such lenses:

However, it's hard to tell whether (and when) any of these lenses appear.
Kit,
Thank you ! I really like the thought of an RF 24-300mm f/4-5.6 L-SERIES superzoom lens. It is wider than the EF 28-300mm and still zooms out as far, which makes it better. I wonder if Canon will bring it to market? I'd order one for sure!
Jan

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not many PJs anymore. I doubt Canon will launch an L-series RF superzoom, but I’d be pleasantly surprised if they did. I would expect it to be F/6.3 or F/7.1 on the long end.

If Canon does ever release such a lens, I’m not sure if I’d buy one. I owned the EF 28-300L, but ultimately sold it in favor of using the 24-70/2.8L II and 70-300L combo. An RF L superzoom with IQ on par with the RF 24-105L and the size of the 100-500L or smaller would be tempting (but not so tempting that I would pre-order it).

Upvote 0

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
Not many PJs anymore. I doubt Canon will launch an L-series RF superzoom, but I’d be pleasantly surprised if they did. I would expect it to be F/6.3 or F/7.1 on the long end.

If Canon does ever release such a lens, I’m not sure if I’d buy one. I owned the EF 28-300L, but ultimately sold it in favor of using the 24-70/2.8L II and 70-300L combo. An RF L superzoom with IQ on par with the RF 24-105L and the size of the 100-500L or smaller would be tempting (but not so tempting that I would pre-order it).
I think that people travelling would like such an all-in-one, high-quality lens too...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think that people travelling would like such an all-in-one, high-quality lens too...
I think that relatively few people traveling would like to carry a lens the size of the 100-500L. Thus the RF 24-240.

OTOH, the combination of the RF 14-35/4 and 24-105/4 delivers great IQ in a relatively small kit.

Upvote 0

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
I think that relatively few people traveling would like to carry a lens the size of the 100-500L. Thus the RF 24-240.

OTOH, the combination of the RF 14-35/4 and 24-105/4 delivers great IQ in a relatively small kit.
You make a good point about the weight issue. My R3, in combination with an L-series superzoom lens would certainly not be small or lightweight. I use and like a Cotton Carrier CCS G3 two-camera harness (https://www.cottoncarrier.com/ and on Amazon), which makes it relatively comfortable to carry the R3 body and whatever attached lens I happen to need, but most people would probably not choose to do that. When I cover auto races and air shows, I carry two cameras with my Cotton Carrier: the one with the longest lens on my chest, and the one with the more compact lens in a holster (attached by Velcro to the waist strap of the vest) on my right side. The Cotton Carrier securely holds up to two camera and lens combos (or even three with an additional side holster on the left side, if you can bear the weight — I tried that only once). I do not like systems that hang the cameras from straps, because they allow the cameras to swing aroung and hit things as I walk.
Jan

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I do not like systems that hang the cameras from straps, because they allow the cameras to swing aroung and hit things as I walk.
I use BlackRapid straps frequently. I don’t mind a little swing in mist situations, and I can easily move the attachment point from body to a lens foot for good balance (previously with a small Kirk 1” Arca-Swiss clamp, now even easier with the RRS QD system). I have a BR L (left side) strap that I use to carry a 600/4 II.

When I’ll be moving more actively or in close quarters. I use a Spider Holster with the Arca clamp attachment, on a Lowepro belt (from which I can hang a lens case, water bottle, etc).

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I am a press photographer with over 20 years experience. About a year ago I switched from Nikon F-Mount professional, full frame DSLRs to the Canon RF R3 (mirrorless, full frame).
Just like other press photographers, I need a reliable, rugged, weather-sealed, L-Series lens with a wide zoom range (28-300mm, 24-240mm or?) and a manual focus switch for my photojournalism. Will Canon EVER make such a lens?
Currently I use the Canon consumer-grade 24-240mm NON-L-Series lens (NOT weather-sealed, not heavy duty and NO MANUAL FOCUS SWITCH).with my Canon R-3 bodies. This lens is a compromise. I will not buy an obsolete, expensive EF 28-300mm lens that was designed way, way back in 2004, plus an EF-RF adapter.
I disagree with you, the EF28-300 or the EF35-350, even with a converters are, at the moment, a very good choice for you. Unfortunately, my bank account does not allow me, at this point, to convert my EF glass to RF glass at the moment, and I use the converter with my older EF glass. The 24-100L and 100-400L gives sunning results every time, even in very (and I mean VERY) difficult situations. I would say that you should try to rent the gear, test it, and see the results before making judgments.

Attachments

• owl 1.jpg
    owl 1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
As a press photographer with 20 years experience, you should know that a lens designed in 2004 is neither obsolete, nor would be considered old and out of date. Lens design was essentailly just as advanced in 2004 as it is today, as far as I know and have experienced. Plenty of lenses from the 1980s, and 1990s that are very comperable (and sometimes better) than today's lenses. Don't confuse digital camera tech with lens design. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0
Re: Currently I use the Canon consumer-grade 24-240mm

In the center, the 24-240 nearly matches the L-quality. I don’t shoot in the rain without a cover. L- lenses, IMO, are for professionals who do not have time to spend in the digital darkroom, and need to get their stuff out quickly. But, also IMO, when printing to 13 x 19 and viewing on a wall from 2-3 feet away, no non-photographer can tell the difference between a lens like the RF 24-240 and some L variant. And I HAVE THE time in the digital darkroom to fix anything that is a deficiency in the lens.

Upvote 0