Rumors are slow, let’s talk RF lens wish lists

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
I’d like to see Canon leverage the RF platform take a bite out of a couple lenses that you pretty much have to go elsewhere for.

Give me a solid 14mm Prime in the$600-$800 range for Astro.

And I’d LOVE to see a Canon RF version of the Laowa 24mm Probe macro lens. Don’t care if it costs a bit. I know they’ll have one eventually, but... rather have Canon native RF and the quality that comes with it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'd like any of the following with
(best IQ with a curved field in focus and not dwell on flat field test charts)
(preferably with a large maximum magnification):

RF 105mm f1.8(or f1.4) L USM
RF 135mm f2(or f1.8) L USM

... and also any of the following with a moderate f# to enable a smaller size & weight:
RF 17-70mm L IS USM
RF 24(or 22)-200 L IS USM
A 1:1 macro long-telephoto L IS USM prime (preferably 200mm or longer)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that wide TS-E and compact are mutually exclusive. Then again, would a 24 f/5.6 TS-E be acceptable? How about a 17 f/8?

I don't mean 'tiny'. I mean 'compact' : "occupying a small volume by reason of efficient use of space." And they don't HAVE to be slow--when I say 'fast is a low priority', I don't mean slow is important!

What I should have said instead of 'compact' is 'uncomplicated'. Meaning a good sharp 17 mm to be used on a tripod would be great, without the bulbous front even better. It doesn't have to be a 14mm f/1.4 or a 14--35mm zoom, or have IS, or make phone calls. These are meat and potato lenses I earn a living by.

Upvote 0
a 20-50ish f/2 or f/2.8 IS would kick ass (the faster the better, but I don't want it to be too massive). Something for the wide-normal range, since that's the vast majority of what I use in video. A 24-70 isn't quite wide enough on the wide end and i rarely go past 50mm, while a 16-35 is great on the wide end, but doesn't get me to 50mm

I might be the only person who wants this but I want it bad

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Gotta have a high-quality, quiet focusing set of small (300-400 grams) f1.8 - f2 primes. Their f1.8s are plastic-y, cheap, and loud focusing.

I want something like Zeiss Batis lineup, the new Panasonic f1.8 lineup (looks sweet), with the build quality of Sigma's mirrorless 45mm f2.8. Even Sony's lower priced f1.8 lineup is still pretty high-quality. Canon always seems to make them pretty crappy.

Either that or make more 1.4 primes the size of Sony's 24mm f1.4. I'm not a fan, at all, of these 1kg primes when something 450 grams can get you 95% of the IQ.

Upvote 0