Samyang 14mm f2.4 Premium review

looks like someone's got a new toy

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-premium-mf-14mm-f-2-4-lens-review-30229

"The Samyang 14mm f/2.4 lens proves itself to be a high class performer and also a very exciting lens to use. Manual focusing lends itself to use on a tripod with critical focusing, and when this is done the sharpness of the results can be stunning."

Bad news:

The Samyang 14mm f/2.4 lens is priced at £899

Encouraging, for sure.
Now I'll join the ranks of those waiting for some night sky samples ...

Also, I know I'm not supposed to care, but I'm not about to give any award to the design team at Samyang for their new Premium line ... that is one ugly lens. But hey, no worries, if it has low coma and decent vignetting control, I promise I won't care ::)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Soft rubbery focus rings = dust magnets. I worry about that feature here and with the latest Zeiss offerings.

I strongly prefer a harder material that is serrated or geared for grip like current Canon EF offerings. That doesn't mean it needs to be rigid -- it still could be rubbery elastomeric material, provided it has a smooth/molded finish and not a raw rubbery grippy material.

But yowza, that's sharp. I welcome other reviews on this.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Soft rubbery focus rings = dust magnets. I worry about that feature here and with the latest Zeiss offerings.

- A

This is new tech; the focus rings attract the dust away from the glass and sensor. But seriously, I have noticed this effect a little with my Milvus 100/2 in the eastern US. I'll have to see whether it comes off with a damp cloth. If that doesn't work, maybe a cloth damp with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
tron said:
The lens has been reviewed at that site:

http://gippslandimages.com.au/blog/2016/12/samyang-14mm-f2-4-xp---lens-review

The reviewer is interested in astrophotography so he tested the lens for coma :)

Thanks for sharing this link! This lens looks very, very impressive. Especially if paired with the newer resolution monsters from Canon, Nikon, and Sony. I wonder if Samyang will offer this in the Pentax mount to pair up with the newer K1 (a mostly good performer from what I read with exceptional Raw images right out of the camera). I would like to see this lens tested on a 5DS-r and a 5DS... Pretty amazing performance though for this lens. Looks like the new king for Astro-photography.

Upvote 0