Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=12913"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=12913">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Finally!

</strong>The long awaited Samyang 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift lens is finally available for preorder from B&H Photo.</p>
<p>At $999, this lens could be a bargain for those that don’t want to spend more than twice as much on the Canon version. Shipments are expected to start at the end of February or early March.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926417-REG/Samyang_SYTS24_C_24mm_F3_5_TILT_SHIFT.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Preorder Samyang 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift for $999 at B&H Photo

</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I've been excited about the release of this lens. This could be brilliant for landscape/architecture work as the typical lack of AF on such lens renders Samyang's disadvantage moot. Still, I want to hear some serious reviews before plunking down the cash. Price is a hair more than I expected, but that is only because of Samyang's discount nature in the past. It is actually pretty reasonable considering the competition

Upvote 0
I think the real question will be whether or not this lens outperforms the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 I. That lens is readily available on the used market a lot, and often between $700 and $900. If this lens performs better at a slight premium, I see the used market for the Mark I tanking as it is flooded with people that want better performance without the ~$2000 entry fee for the Canon Mark II. I would be all over a Mark I if that happens for around $500-600. I don't command the best image quality, but the things a TS lens can do cannot be replicated [well] by any other means.

Upvote 0
KyleSTL said:
I think the real question will be whether or not this lens outperforms the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 I. That lens is readily available on the used market a lot, and often between $700 and $900. If this lens performs better at a slight premium, I see the used market for the Mark I tanking as it is flooded with people that want better performance without the ~$2000 entry fee for the Canon Mark II. I would be all over a Mark I if that happens for around $500-600. I don't command the best image quality, but the things a TS lens can do cannot be replicated [well] by any other means.
I'm reasonably sure that the tilt and shift functions on the mark I have a fixed orientation to each other, so you can only tilt on an axis perpendicular (or was it parallel?) to the shift. You can rotate the tilt bit 90 degrees so you can change between the two (you need a screwdriver and a steady hand for that), but both the mark II and the Samyang allow free rotation out of the box. That means a great deal more flexibility if you want to combine the two, and you won't get that from a mark I.

It will be very interesting to see what the price level for a second hand mark I will do :)

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I've been excited about the release of this lens. This could be brilliant for landscape/architecture work as the typical lack of AF on such lens renders Samyang's disadvantage moot. Still, I want to hear some serious reviews before plunking down the cash. Price is a hair more than I expected, but that is only because of Samyang's discount nature in the past. It is actually pretty reasonable considering the competition

Agreed, I tried the Canon 24 TS v2 via the CPS loan program, and it was pretty awesome. Not something I'd use often, so if the Samyang is quite good optically, I'm seriously tempted to pick one up sometime this year rather than waiting to save up for the Canon one.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
pdirestajr said:
The lenses branded under Samyang are usually a bit more expensive than the Rokinon/ Bower/ Pro-Optic/ etc... Rebranded versions. Then assume the price of those will drop slightly down the line... I won't be surprised to see this at 799USD in the near future.
Yep, especially since their 24mm was released about a year ago at $850, and you can now see it as cheap as $499 in some deals. Can't decide whether the specialty nature of a T/S lens will keep the price higher or make them have to discount it earlier to hunt for sales.

Either way, definitely looking forward to reviews; probably be moving to full-frame in the next year or so and this would be a nice compliment

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
It's very difficult to judge the internal build quality by looking at the photos of Samyang. The Canon TS-E 24mm II is a mechanical tour-de-force in how precisely and surely all the tilt and shift mechanism work, along with how the optical elements line up optimally even with heavy tilt/shift. I would be hesitant to be early adapter due to unknown durability and continued smoothness of all the mechanical parts. Then again, some years from now, if the Samyang users still report good durability and optics, by all means I am willing to give it a shot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.