Samyang appears to have ceased production of RF mount lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2020
Those are partnerships, built to a specific OEM spec. There is a whole industry of third-party parts makers that have no relationship with the automaker.
True, but those third-party parts are only risky with Teslas or if they are not in line with the specs.
Performance mods tend to be outside of the specs.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
That was my fear - the rapid firmware updates actually reducing performance for competitors on purpose. I really hope that isn't true, because it's not a great look from the consumer side of things. It's all hearsay for now I guess - that's a conclusion I really don't want to jump to.
That's the risk of manufacturing electronics in 2021. Technology is fluid. Most all modern electronics are updated via firmware. Modems, TVs, car cams, etc. Can't keep up, find another business. How absurd to complain about updates to a products because of concern about third party eneptness.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I also suspect it's Canon clamping down on them using the mount.

Very likely the same reason we still don't have Sigma/Tamron RF mount lenses several years after its launch.
It's called lack of competent employees or workforce. Can't handle updating your products firmware then change your business model.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Not really.
Car companies rely on third parties to make compatible parts.
The way camera companies work is by constantly upgrading firmware and the only car company that works like that is Tesla.
Not surprisingly, replacing certain parts with on a Tesla with third party parts is risky.
More car companies are following the over-the-air update model of Tesla but I imagine Ford will be more accomodating to parts suppliers.
BS. Automanufacturers have "Genuine parts" or OEM. And there are hundreds if not thousands of third party parts manufacturers. You get what you pay for. Sometimes they work and last, sometimes they don't and fail. Put some cheap brakes on your vehicle, it's your life or family's life at risk. I have no tears to shed if some cheap lens manufacturer can't keep up with updates. They make their money from copying. To cheap to invest in firmware engineers, that was their choice. Electronic updates have been going on for decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
BS. Automanufacturers have "Genuine parts" or OEM. And there are hundreds if not thousands of third party parts manufacturers. You get what you pay for. Sometimes they work and last, sometimes they don't and fail. Put some cheap brakes on your vehicle, it's your life or family's life at risk. I have no tears to shed if some cheap lens manufacturer can't keep up with updates. They make their money from copying. To cheap to invest in firmware engineers, that was their choice. Electronic updates have been going on for decades.
That is an issue with quality and not compatibility.
This discussion is about parts that stop functioning after an update.
It is not about parts that fail on their own.
There are terrible third-party lenses too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Very likely the same reason we still don't have Sigma/Tamron RF mount lenses several years after its launch.

That must be the case.

Samyang had also cine lenses with manual iris totally free of any firmware combatilities that also have been discontinued. So the RF mount rights should be the reason of that.

Upvote 0
lot of focusing complaints on the 85 1.4 EF AF lenses so I held off buying one.
I have one and have had no issues focusing, I did have to buy the dock to update the firmware to be compatible with the IBIS but as far as the performance of the lens, I have had zero issues. TBH the image quality is stunning , the focus has been perfect, even using animal eye detect on a running french bulldog it hit 98% of the time. My worry has always been long-term build quality, I assume it uses more plastic and glues internally than the canon lenses having more metal and screws. Unless Canon breaks compatibility I would recommend this lens.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I really hope they will continue to make RF lenses under one brand or another. That Samyang/Rokinon AF 85mm f/1.4 for RF mount is certainly a lens I would be interested in if I ever move to the RF system.
I absolutely love my Samyang RF 85 f/1.4. I was having autofocus issues for a bit, but they seems to be worked out now (I believe the problem was with my overworked EOS RP camera body, actually). The rendering is really nice with vivid sharpness wide open. Even the vignette is not overwhelming and easily fixed in post for those instances where my subjects are at the frame’s edge. As a bonus it’s quite lightweight, too.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

This has nothing to do with Canon. Samyang was quick to market because they used the EF protocols for their RF lenses. Tamron and SIGMA are reverse-engineering the RF mount and protocols, which hasn't been done yet. This takes a lot of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This has nothing to do with Canon. Samyang was quick to market because they used the EF protocols for their RF lenses. Tamron and SIGMA are reverse-engineering the RF mount and protocols, which hasn't been done yet. This takes a lot of time.
Don’t let facts or common sense contradict a nice conspiracy theory! It’s bad for business :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This makes me very much concerned about canon not making things easy for third party lens brands . Still no Sigma /Tamron for RF mount. This alone makes me choose Sony over Canon when considering switching to mirrorless...
Canon have never ‘made it easy’ for third parties, they only released the EF protocols to companies that would pay them, Red and Zeiss for example, but most companies chose to save the money or licensing restrictions and reverse engineer them. But Canon also introduced firmware for third party batteries in bodies.

To me it seems like an Apple/PC thing. In general if you buy Apple ‘it’ just works but you have comparatively limited options, for PC users the options are limitless but there are a billion caveats, workarounds, and broken compatibility. You pay your money and make your choice.

Nobody, including Canon, care if you move to Sony from EF because you are an irrelevant single data point. Only when the majority of buyers actually do that would there be changes, don’t hold your breath!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.