Samyang officially announces the XP 10mm f/3.5, the world’s widest prime lens

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Samyang has announced the first of the 8 new lenses they have promised would arrive by Q2 of 2019, the XP 10mm f/3.5. The world’s widest rectilinear prime lens for full frame cameras with a claim of being “distortion free”.
The Samyang XP 10mm f/3.5 has been designed to meet the demands of high megapixel sensors and 8K video. This new lens has a 130° angle of view on full-frame DSLRs.

Lens construction consists of 18 elements in 11 groups, with 7 special optical elements to keep image quality consistent from the center to the edges. There are 3 aspherical elements, 1 high-refractive element and 3 extra-low dispersion elements specifically designed to minimize distortion.
You can check out official sample images here.
The XP 10mm f/3.5 is scheduled to begin shipping sometime in Q2 of 2019 with a price tag of  €1,099 /...

Continue reading...

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
The page says "XP 10mm F3.5 proves it to be the best support for your more than 5.0 megapixel photography and 8K cinematography" - I expect a modern lens to give more than 5MP worth of details.

Did they put a . between 5 and 0 when they wanted to write 50mpx? 8K is about 33mpx

I just checked the page, and they did fix it:

"... XP 10mm F3.5 proves it to be the best support for your more than 50 megapixel photography and 8K cinematography."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So finally we have a ~17mm lens for cropped 4k video which can do ultrawide in photography (in Canon land).

EDIT: Now we need a tilt-shift converter for EF-M mount and a tilt converter for the RF mount ... if this lens has the EF mount (for DSLR ...). EDIT: Both with AF and full auto exposure capabilities.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Calling it "the widest" is a little misleading, as Voighlander makes a 10mm f/5.6 full frame lens for the Sony E mount.

Sounds like an interesting lens, I'll be waiting for the reviews.
Strictly speaking, they said “The world’s widest rectilinear prime lens for full frame cameras with a claim of being distortion free”. Add enough qualifiers and then you can claim to be first :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0