Save pictures straight to SSD harddrive, which camera supports it?

Mar 25, 2011
I think Mt Spokane was saying the FTP settings are limited on the native R5 and appear to be a secondary function possible after shooting. On the 1 series and I presumed the R10A that FTP functionality is switched to real time. Certainly the R10A works very differently, although it takes two batteries one is for the camera and one is for the wireless functions. I have only read the manual for it and have no first hand experience shooting with it, but it seems clunky, the 1 series perform FTP transfers as you shoot automatically in real time, I presumed this was some of the functionality you get with the $1,000 R10A!
I was referring to my EOS R not doing FTP. I believe the R5 does FTP as well as FTPS, its just a big project to enable it if you have not done FTP previously and have to start from scratch. I'd enable on my Qnap NAS if I really wanted to use it.

ftp1.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Sorry, you are right I misquoted you.

But the important bit on the R5 manual is page 658, Automatic transfer, it is possible as you are shooting. So a base R5 would give the OP the functionality he is looking for with a WD My Passport Wireless.
Yes a R5 will automatically transfer via FTP plus the faster Wi-Fi should speed up transfers a lot. I still wonder if the large raw files would take a long time to transfer.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes a R5 will automatically transfer via FTP plus the faster Wi-Fi should speed up transfers a lot. I still wonder if the large raw files would take a long time to transfer.

In such a situation I would be very tempted to give CRAW a try again. It's mainly my OCD preventing me from using it, I couldn't spot any differences between regular RAW and CRAW in previous tests.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In such a situation I would be very tempted to give CRAW a try again. It's mainly my OCD preventing me from using it, I couldn't spot any differences between regular RAW and CRAW in previous tests.
I have yet to see any comparisons of how long it takes to transfer RAW files with say the 30 MP EOS R and the 45MP EOS R5. The R5 should be much faster in theory. I use Orbi AP's they are strange beasts providing AC 1733 backhauls to 4 AP's which provide AC867 to users. They also provide N300 @2.4 GHZ. The camera likely provides 433 Mbps for 5GZ and 150 Mbps or slower for 2.4 GHZ. IOt should be at least 3X faster. With the wi-fi grip, it should be about 6X faster.

The exact type of specifications aren't easy to find for some reason but should easily be found by testing.

Upvote 0

Seeker

CR Pro
May 17, 2020
I think OP was looking for a way to store large files without buying expensive cards. A wifi hdd does not really help as you can't use the camera,as a camera, during file transfer and you still need a large card for long video files. Also, files transfer eats batteries like Cookie monster so that adds the costs both in time and money.

Seems he has an older Ninja that uses the Cfast cards. The newer ones use SSD but they need to be in a standard form factor. More money.

Something we all overlooked was USB is not Firewire. A host device is needed for two peripherals to communicate.

The most time efficient means is to buy two cards, a card reader, a small laptop, and a hard drive. Fill card one then offload it to the Hdd while filling the second card.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think OP was looking for a way to store large files without buying expensive cards. A wifi hdd does not really help as you can't use the camera,as a camera, during file transfer and you still need a large card for long video files. Also, files transfer eats batteries like Cookie monster so that adds the costs both in time and money.

Seems he has an older Ninja that uses the Cfast cards. The newer ones use SSD but they need to be in a standard form factor. More money.

Something we all overlooked was USB is not Firewire. A host device is needed for two peripherals to communicate.

The most time efficient means is to buy two cards, a card reader, a small laptop, and a hard drive. Fill card one then offload it to the Hdd while filling the second card.

Reread the original post.

" I'm doing movies and pictures. Is there any camera that can save pictures directly to an SSD harddrive (like i save movies to the Atomos with SSD harddrive)? I don't want to mess around with adapters anymore (of course I still need one for the SSD harddrive, but there should be only that one in my bag). "

If you use FTP protocol you can transfer files, while using it as a camera, and some of the WI-FI drives support that. He is talking stills, he has a video solution that goes to SSD.

Upvote 0

Seeker

CR Pro
May 17, 2020
Reread the original post.

" I'm doing movies and pictures. Is there any camera that can save pictures directly to an SSD harddrive (like i save movies to the Atomos with SSD harddrive)? I don't want to mess around with adapters anymore (of course I still need one for the SSD harddrive, but there should be only that one in my bag). "

If you use FTP protocol you can transfer files, while using it as a camera, and some of the WI-FI drives support that. He is talking stills, he has a video solution that goes to SSD.
Good point. OP seems to have edited/clarified his first post. The original language made me think he was trying to avoid cfexpress cards due to expense.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Although this is not what you wanted exactly, it is a adapter that uses a external SSD in place of a CF Express card. Its the first solution I've seen that is simple.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Although this is not what you wanted exactly, it is a adapter that uses a external SSD in place of a CF Express card. Its the first solution I've seen that is simple.

When I saw this thread, I was looking all over for something like this for the OP thinking it had to exist somewhere thinking it would be exactly what the OP was looking for (drawback being having to leave door open). Electronically, you can't get much closer to native as this thing allows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Well this is interesting timing.

Saw on B&H this SSD:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1507930-REG/delkin_devices_djugbm1tb_1tb_usb_3_1_gen.html

It is a drive that you plug into the usb-c port.

Seems to be for direct recording to Blackmagic cameras. Wonder if they can adapt it to an R5?

Actually, thanks for the reminder... I have an otg adapter and was going to try to write out to USB on the R5. I'll report back if the camera sees the OTG as a drive it can use, which will the the answer if it would work for this. (I checked in the manual and it say usb is for charging and displaying only... but doesn't hurt to try).

Update - It does nothing...

Last edited:
Upvote 0