SD cards in R5

Mar 25, 2011
UHS II cards are often on sale, they are faster but still pretty slow. I used my R5 with one from my R for 2 weeks until my CFexpress card arrived. I had previously bought a SD UHS II/ CFexpress card reader. The CFexpress is smoking fast, the SD card is snail slow by comparison. If you have hundreds of raw images or huge video files, it makes a difference.

I use FTP over my 5GHZ access point to auto download photos as I shoot when I'm in range. It is plenty fast enough as long as I'm taking one shot at a time.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
UHS II cards are often on sale, they are faster but still pretty slow. I used my R5 with one from my R for 2 weeks until my CFexpress card arrived. I had previously bought a SD UHS II/ CFexpress card reader. The CFexpress is smoking fast, the SD card is snail slow by comparison. If you have hundreds of raw images or huge video files, it makes a difference.

I use FTP over my 5GHZ access point to auto download photos as I shoot when I'm in range. It is plenty fast enough as long as I'm taking one shot at a time.
Thanks for the info all. And I will read the manual, since it's the closest thing to the R5 I have now!

Which CF express reader do you guys recommend? I'm sure they all work just fine.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the info all. And I will read the manual, since it's the closest thing to the R5 I have now!

Which CF express reader do you guys recommend? I'm sure they all work just fine.
They do not all work fine, there tend to be issues when using a brand A reader with a Brand B card. To get a firmware upgrade as fixes to readers come out, you may need to send it in.

I have a less expensive prograde dual SD / CFexpress reader I bought a prograde CFexpress card to make sure it was compatible. I use USB 3 so I don't have a super fast connection to my PC. Thunderbolt 3 is the fastest if you have that.

Sonnet is the best if you want to pay the price, Prograde is good.

There is a popular review of cards and some info about the readers at the link below. I could not access tiggy's reader review on Camnostic, the site has issues right now.

This is my reader, I like it because it handles my SD UHS II card as well, my old readers do not give UHS II speeds..

Upvote 0
They do not all work fine, there tend to be issues when using a brand A reader with a Brand B card. To get a firmware upgrade as fixes to readers come out, you may need to send it in.

I have a less expensive prograde dual SD / CFexpress reader I bought a prograde CFexpress card to make sure it was compatible. I use USB 3 so I don't have a super fast connection to my PC. Thunderbolt 3 is the fastest if you have that.

Sonnet is the best if you want to pay the price, Prograde is good.

There is a popular review of cards and some info about the readers at the link below. I could not access tiggy's reader review on Camnostic, the site has issues right now.

This is my reader, I like it because it handles my SD UHS II card as well, my old readers do not give UHS II speeds..

Site was moved to new server that day, sorry! You'll find those CFexpress and CFexpress card reader reviews up there on the top now at camnostic.com. We also just made a post this morning of the early data on our SD card review for the R5, which should be interesting for people on this thread...
-tig

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
Site was moved to new server that day, sorry! You'll find those CFexpress and CFexpress card reader reviews up there on the top now at camnostic.com. We also just made a post this morning of the early data on our SD card review for the R5, which should be interesting for people on this thread...
-tig
Hi, just to say that this brings up a JSON error... in both Firefox and MS Edge Win10x64
json error.JPG

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
-tig
Thanks for all your work. I actually bought my Prograde Dual SD / CFexpress reader before I received my camera and before buying my Prograde CFexpress 325 GB Cobalt card. The reader has a usb C port but comes with two cables, one USB C and one USB 3 which is what I use. Since I already had a EOS R but not a SD UHS II reader, it was ready for my R5 and CFexpress.

I have no idea as to how it compares with the thunderbolt, it works great with my setup but is likely much slower due to my older USB 3 port on my computer. Finding computers with the latest USB C ports is difficult and my PC has just one available PCIe 4X card slot that is used for a adapter to a PCIe MVNE SSD, I have not found a adapter that also adds a fast USB C or Thunderbolt 3 port along with provisions for a NVMe ssd

Upvote 0
New SD Card tests data for the R5, R6 and RP...

Upvote 0