Searching for a lightroom 5 deal...

May 31, 2011
I was content with using lightroom 5... and then my desktop computer decides to commit suicide... thought it might have been auto erotic asphyxiation considering the materials on the hard drive... but I digress.

If yall come across any decent deals with LR6 as an add-on or on just the software alone... I'd be very interested.

I'm sure this goes without saying for most people, but I'm not interested in the Creative Cloud.

Also, when you buy the software... you can get a multi-use registration code... because I would want one for my laptop and for my desktop's successor.

Mar 25, 2011
I have LR5 as well as CC. Each allows use on two computers.

I'm not sure what you mean by Add-On, mine is a upgrade copy, if I remember. It was a download, so I only received the key from Adobe, and downloaded the software. I also had to enter the key from a previous version, even if it was also a upgrade version.

If you still have the key to yours, you can download it and use the key. I've been keeping my old versions, just in case I do away with CC. So far, CC is fine for me, and the price is right.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Their website does not seem to offer the option of downloading a "standalone" version anymore and I don't know what is feasible but, assuming you owned the copy of LR5 that was working on your old PC and had the install disks, you should be able to put it on the new machine. What is frustrating is that you cannot "deactivate" the old version to activate the same product on a new machine, however. Same thing happened to me when my old PC decided to give up the ghost and my restore from backup would not install LR. Spend some quality time with Adobe support. It is a bit of a hassle, but they helped me activate it on my new machine through their workaround.

Now if you do not have the install disks, do a "search" on adobe.com. It takes a bit of looking, but you can find an LR 5.4 download that they say will install on a machine without any previous additions of Lightroom installed. Then, it is all about activation (see above).

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
JPAZ said:
Their website does not seem to offer the option of downloading a "standalone" version anymore and I don't know what is feasible but, assuming you owned the copy of LR5 that was working on your old PC and had the install disks, you should be able to put it on the new machine. What is frustrating is that you cannot "deactivate" the old version to activate the same product on a new machine, however. Same thing happened to me when my old PC decided to give up the ghost and my restore from backup would not install LR. Spend some quality time with Adobe support. It is a bit of a hassle, but they can helped me activate it on my new machine through their workaround.

Now if you do not have the install disks, do a "search" on adobe.com. It takes a bit of looking, but you can find an LR 5.4 download that they say will install on a machine without any previous additions of Lightroom installed. Then, it is all about activation (see above).

The standalone version is still available, it's just bloody hard to find on their website. They are really trying to push people into CC, which is complete BS in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jdramirez said:
I was content with using lightroom 5... and then my desktop computer decides to commit suicide... thought it might have been auto erotic asphyxiation considering the materials on the hard drive... but I digress.

If yall come across any decent deals with LR6 as an add-on or on just the software alone... I'd be very interested.

I'm sure this goes without saying for most people, but I'm not interested in the Creative Cloud.

Also, when you buy the software... you can get a multi-use registration code... because I would want one for my laptop and for my desktop's successor.

There is no Lightroom 6, yet.

JPAZ said:
Their website does not seem to offer the option of downloading a "standalone" version anymore

On the other hand...... https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular.html?promoid=KLXMI

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
privatebydesign said:
JPAZ said:
Their website does not seem to offer the option of downloading a "standalone" version anymore

On the other hand...... https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular.html?promoid=KLXMI

That is absolutely the place to go if he is buying a new copy. But, if he already owns the license, this might be better:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=113&platform=Windows

or for Mac:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Macintosh&product=113

It has all the stand-alone versions of LR for that can be downloaded and then it is just a question of installing and activating

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
privatebydesign said:
jdramirez said:

JPAZ said:

Typo. Actually my desktop revived itself. Though it certainly does seem it is time to replace the machine. It is two years... and while I'd love to get more time out of it... it seems an update is required.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
There have been some deals lately for a camera/kit lens/other crap/ and lr5. I've been meaning to get one and sell all the stuff I don't want... but nothing appealed to me @ the price they were selling it at.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I have LR5 as well as CC. Each allows use on two computers.

I'm not sure what you mean by Add-On, mine is a upgrade copy, if I remember. It was a download, so I only received the key from Adobe, and downloaded the software. I also had to enter the key from a previous version, even if it was also a upgrade version.

If you still have the key to yours, you can download it and use the key. I've been keeping my old versions, just in case I do away with CC. So far, CC is fine for me, and the price is right.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
privatebydesign said:
jdramirez said:

JPAZ said:

Typo. Actually my desktop revived itself. Though it certainly does seem it is time to replace the machine. It is two years... and while I'd love to get more time out of it... it seems an update is required.

I know this is a month old and off topic, but in case you're still considering upgrading: I would wipe your harddrive (after backup of course) and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows and all your programs. I've been meaning to do it to my laptop for months now, and never got around to it. My hard drive crashed last weekend and gave me no choice. I did upgrade to a SSD, which I highly recommend, but other than that it's my 2.5 year old laptop that has been sluggish for awhile. Now it's lightning fast again. I used to do all the registry cleaner stuff and defrag, which helped, but only so much. I think all those fragments of files long deleted just build up after awhile.

Anyway, give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose, you'll have to transfer everything over if you get a new comp anyway. It took me a full evening of uploading stuff, but I feel like I basically got a new computer.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Consider downloading and running Belarc Advisor. There is a free copy, and it lists all of your software, and retrieves your license numbers for a lot of the software. It also checks up on security.

I run it and save the results on a printout, so when I reload my computer, I am able to be sure to re-install all my dozens of software programs, and, if I've lost the keys, at least some of them are there.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I believe what happened is that a good long while ago I told the computer to check for bad sectors on the hard drive... but it could only doo that after a restart. So I forgot about the check... a few hours las and I assume the hard drive is fried.... but after a few more hours, the check is finally done and it is as it was... but there are some bad sectors...

I was able to retrieve my light room code and I was able to put it on my laptop as a backup... but all in all I can see why film has a certain draw...

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
I believe what happened is that a good long while ago I told the computer to check for bad sectors on the hard drive... but it could only doo that after a restart. So I forgot about the check... a few hours las and I assume the hard drive is fried.... but after a few more hours, the check is finally done and it is as it was... but there are some bad sectors...

I was able to retrieve my light room code and I was able to put it on my laptop as a backup... but all in all I can see why film has a certain draw...

I'd replace the HDD before it finally goes kaput, and might as well upgrade to SSD. Personally I'm done with HDD except for storage. Solid state drives are really affordable now, just picked up a 500gb drive for just over $200.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Skirball said:
jdramirez said:
I believe what happened is that a good long while ago I told the computer to check for bad sectors on the hard drive... but it could only doo that after a restart. So I forgot about the check... a few hours las and I assume the hard drive is fried.... but after a few more hours, the check is finally done and it is as it was... but there are some bad sectors... o

I'd replace the HDD before it finally goes kaput, and might as well upgrade to SSD. Personally I'm done with HDD except for storage. Solid state drives are really affordable now, just picked up a 500gb drive for just over $200.

That is excellent advice, but I'm truly very cheap... I suppose a small ssd to host the basics would be reasonable...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
jdramirez said:

That is excellent advice, but I'm truly very cheap... I suppose a small ssd to host the basics would be reasonable...
[/quote]

Rumor has it that a SSD war is going to happen this fall, so hold out if you can. A 250GB SSD will hold all your programs and even a lightroom catalog, your data can sit on a rotating drive. Even a 128GB SSD is often enough. You can get a Crucial or Samsung for a very good price right now, and prices are dropping.

I had to re-install Windows in my pc last week, and since I have a M-SATA slot on my motherboard, I popped in a postage stamp sized 500 GB Samsung to replace the larger 2.5 inch SSD which will go into a computer that does not have M-SATA. I have 7 computers at home, and all will have a SSD for the programs and ordinary hard drive for data.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-samsung-price-war-intel-kingston,27101.html

Upvote 0