Semi-candid portrait

So, here's a sorta candid portrait of my cousin at my other cousin's Bar Mitzvah recently. Curious to see what you think of my processing. Both were done completely in Lightroom 4.1, although in the 2nd I'd have like to have gotten a bit better B&W conversion. I basically just did a brush with -100 saturation, and a few other lighting tweaks. Please be as harsh as you feel like, but constructive comments will be most appreciated :)

Attachments

• 2012063000470.jpg
    2012063000470.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,848
  • 2012063000470-2.jpg
    2012063000470-2.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 1,879
well the second one is "different" to say the least. First one not bad, you did a good job getting the eyes to pop, but like others have said the yellow teeth take away from the otherwise pretty eyes, that being said it's an easy fix. I'm a big fan of the skin smoothing brush, just be careful not to go overboard and turn someone in a plastic barbie. That being said if you have a mother in law like mine that technique has worked wonders for the relationship.

I know a guy locally who does a lot of work with selective color in his photos, but it's mostly cityscape/walk around type stuff and it works really well for him and his subjects, granted he's been at it a long time. It's not something I'm terribly keen to try as I think you have to be very careful what subjects you chose.

Upvote 0
The b&w with just eyes in color looks a little too demonic or like Michael Jackson at the end or thriller- basically, too unnatural/ jarring. If you want to emphasize the eyes, try perhaps slightly desaturating the rest of the image except the eyes, or masking them and using a curves adjustment to punch contrast/ saturation.

I don't think you need to go to the extreme as you did.

Upvote 0