Sharpest lens at F8 - F11

Hello Everyone,

yes, this topic sounds like these topics which ask for which to choose F8 or 11 for landscape photography
Im not asking that. Im sure when I want to use from 2.8 to 16 or more.

All the lens reviews mostly compare lenses at their performace wide open.
I looked across the web and found no comparison of lenses from F8 to F11.
Im interested in these apertures because I'm thinking to use another lens for landscape fotography other than my Sigma 17-50 EX.

Im looking for the lens which is sharpest at F11. Not compared to other apertures of the one lens, but Im looking basically for a chart or a list which tells me: "These are the sharpest lenses compared F11"

Has anyone of you come across testing results looking for this area?
Sure I can check DXO or digital picture but maybe you guys can shorten this up for me ? ;)

Stefan

Mar 25, 2011
There is very little difference in lenses when stopped down to f/8 or f/11, certainly not enough to go out and pay big bucks when a lower cost lens would do.
You could use a coke bottle.
A big part of the reason is that you begin to be limited by the diffraction in the lens, which combined with a high MP camera limits sharpness, no matter which lens.
You did not ask about other lens properties, just sharpness.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There is very little difference in lenses when stopped down to f/8 or f/11, certainly not enough to go out and pay big bucks when a lower cost lens would do.
You could use a coke bottle.

The 75-300mm lens I got for $100 with my first Rebel is not very good, but it was my only real choice back in August to shoot the eclipse with my T3i. Since I would be using manual settings anyway, I looked at lens tests on line and decided it was best at f/11. So I used that and controlled exposure with shutter speed. The results vastly exceeded my expectations, and I wound up with pictures to be proud of.

Upvote 0
If you do not mind the focal length, look at the 50mm F1.8 STM, and the venerable 200mm F2L. Regarding sharpness alone, it makes little difference a $ 125 lens, or a $ 5700 lens.

In fact, chromatic aberration and barrel distortion (or pincushion) are most important factors when shooting in F11, as they will steal sharpness when applying software correction.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=989&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=6&LensComp=458&CameraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=6

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
If you do not mind the focal length, look at the 50mm F1.8 STM, and the venerable 200mm F2L. Regarding sharpness alone, it makes little difference a $ 125 lens, or a $ 5700 lens.

In fact, chromatic aberration and barrel distortion (or pincushion) are most important factors when shooting in F11, as they will steal sharpness when applying software correction.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=989&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=6&LensComp=458&CameraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=6
They are indeed the critical factors at small apertures, since sharpness varies a little. A Macro lens tends to be very good, the zeiss is the same at f/8 but slightly sharper at f/11. It really doesn't matter much as far as sharpness, but the distortion is going to be different.

Low Cost Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM:
mtf.png

$1400- Zeiss Makro Planar f/2 T* 100mm:
mtf.png

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
chrysoberyl said:
I find LensTip and OpticaLLimits useful for this information.

Agree -- that's where the OP needs to go. But you can't compare directly two lenses at a given aperture in a convenient side-by-side manner there. You have to open two reviews and compare.

DXO lets you directly compare in the sharpness mapping they do, but you can only look at 3 lenses at a time. Also, I'm not remotely a fan of their site, transparency with methods, etc.

TDP let's you do compare directly visually through their lens image quality section, but it's only two lenses at a time and sometimes they don't have the same camera as the basis of comparison (but they usually do).

- A

Upvote 0
The sharpest lens I have ever used is the Nikkor 50mm F2. Many people say the same.

I often get moiré below the eyes or the hair when the focus is spot on. I attached an example 100% crop. The photo was taking with a 650D and opened in Photoshop with standard settings. I usually take photos at F4-5.6 but I think it will look about the same at F8.

Attachments

• moire.png
    moire.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0