Shooting professional sports (NHL) with a DSLR - access denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
So last night I was all excited because I add ring seat to an NHL game in Montreal so I thought lets bring the 5D mkII with my 135mm and take some cool shots right! I see so many sports pictures being posted here that I thought this would be fun!

Well when I got to the door the security denied me access to the sport center because my camera has detachable lens (the G1X would have been handy!)! The guy was fairly rude so I could not figure out why except that I was not a certified journalist. So I had to bring back the camera to the car and come back empty handed to get in :-[ !

Is it like this for all professional sports? What is your experience shooting pro sports? Do we need some kind of accreditation or did I just stumble onto a bad security person?

...by the way two rows down from me was a professional photographer using his Nikon D3s though ... :mad:

RC

Jun 11, 2011
That really sucks, especially with good seats like those. No problem with MLB games, at least in Phoenix. I've taken my 7D with 70-200 plus 1.4 extender to several Diamondback games both at Chase Field and Talking Stick facilities (regular season and spring training fields).

My guess is, it's facility rules as apposed to league rules. Haven't tried NHL, NFL, or NBA.

Upvote 0
JR said:
Is it like this for all professional sports? What is your experience shooting pro sports? Do we need some kind of accreditation or did I just stumble onto a bad security person?

I know it's the same in Winnipeg with Jets games. Only those with accreditation (pretty well all media, team, or NHL photogs) can bring DSLRs in. Apparently the NHL has fairly strict guidelines as to how the images can be used. I've never tried taking my DSLR to a CFL game, although I think the policy is the same there. Interestingly enough, I went to a San Diego Charger game this past fall and they let me take my DLSR in; in hindsight I'm not sure if it's allowed or if the security person who checked my bag just didn't know.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
darylsch said:
No problem in Kansas City for MLB, but according to gate policies for the NFL in KC, cameras with detachable lenses are not allowed so I didn't try it.

RC said:
That really sucks, especially with good seats like those. No problem with MLB games, at least in Phoenix. I've taken my 7D with 70-200 plus 1.4 extender to several Diamondback games both at Chase Field and Talking Stick facilities (regular season and spring training fields).

My guess is, it's facility rules as apposed to league rules. Haven't tried NHL, NFL, or NBA.

You guys might be right here. Maybe it is more facility rules related then the sport's league. I will check with the sport center for next time. The game was bad so at least it would have made it more fun shooting pictures :)...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
bigblue1ca said:
I know it's the same in Winnipeg with Jets games. Only those with accreditation (pretty well all media, team, or NHL photogs) can bring DSLRs in. Apparently the NHL has fairly strict guidelines as to how the images can be used. I've never tried taking my DSLR to a CFL game, although I think the policy is the same there. Interestingly enough, I went to a San Diego Charger game this past fall and they let me take my DLSR in; in hindsight I'm not sure if it's allowed or if the security person who checked my bag just didn't know.

Bummer then! Interesting how our Canadian based arena experience seem the same while you and darylsch were able to bring on in US based arena (Kansas City and San Diego). I would have thought US arena would have more strick rules then Canadian ones...

In anycase, I will know for next time! Thanks for the replies guys.

Upvote 0
B

baks5523

I've shot a number of times at San Francisco Giants games with no issues at all. In fact the last time I went I had a fairly good sized kit in my pack (2 bodies and 3 lenses). The security didn't bat an eye at me, all they wanted to make sure of is that I didn't have a weapon or alcohol in my bag.

I was also looking into going to the 49ers playoff game this weekend and the stadium information for Candlestick Park says cameras, still and video are ok as long as you don't bring in mono pods or tripods. It didn't say anything about specific types of cameras(interchangeable glass).

However, I did run into problems trying to get into a college football game (Fresno State) with my 7d+70-200mm. Seems like as soon as the security guard saw the white lens I was deemed a "no go". Even though the stadium rules that I checked prior said camera's were ok.

It's tough to say what's allowed and whats not. I'm starting to think that it may boil down to who the security guard is when you enter the stadium.

Upvote 0
Shoot I used to go to NCAA football games with my camera gear without any problem, but about 2-3 years ago, I got stopped bringing in my 7d (right after I bought the damn camera) and lens... I was told I would need to obtain press credentials to bring that in. This was going to a UNR vs Texas Tech game... I complained to the university staff after the game and they said NCAA rules stipulate anything with a detachable lens (rebels on up) was not allowed without press credentials and there were too many unauthorized photos being taken to track and monitor, hence the new rules.

I kinda feel like starting a new blog page and requesting a press pass from the university as being a professional photographer with a website dealing with their school... Wonder if it will work haha.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
JR said:
So last night I was all excited because I add ring seat to an NHL game in Montreal so I thought lets bring the 5D mkII with my 135mm and take some cool shots right! I see so many sports pictures being posted here that I thought this would be fun!

Well when I got to the door the security denied me access to the sport center because my camera has detachable lens (the G1X would have been handy!)! The guy was fairly rude so I could not figure out why except that I was not a certified journalist. So I had to bring back the camera to the car and come back empty handed to get in :-[ !

...by the way two rows down from me was a professional photographer using his Nikon D3s though ... :mad:

JR, check the venue website for your NHL team. I know in the DC area, the Verizon Center (where Caps games are held) has specific rules laid out for general events, concerts, NHL games, and NBA games (each set of rules is slightly different). last time I checked, for Caps games we can bring in DSLRs with interchangeable lenses provided the lens + camera body together are less than 10" in length. however, it's very stadium-specific. I know I had no problem bringing a 500mm sigma lens on a 30D into Camden Yards a couple years back, but then again I was in the cheap seats so it wasn't like I was going to have anything newsworthy.

if the stated rules differ from what was told to you at the gate, I suggest next time you print the actual statement from the website and bring it with you.

that, and/or ... it's time to buy a G1X ;)

Upvote 0
I am not surprised. Most arenas will have signs stating no cameras or recording devices.

For Hockey especially, if you are down low, there are really only a few places you can shoot well where there are cut-outs in the glass to put your lens through so you don't get reflection and distortion... Hence also a reason for hockey why they prefer point and shoots for non-credentialed shooters if they let you in.

A lot of it all depends on the security, arena and dumb luck a lot of times. Have heard many stories in Boston with people having similar issues as well as have seen many fan shot images that are from DSLR with long lenses.

Upvote 0
I went to the Cleveland Browns vs Baltimore Ravens game last year in Cleveland and I had no issues carrying in my 5DMarkII and Nikon 85 1.4.

I recently went to a Cavs game about 2 weeks ago...I was kinda apprehensive since I now have the 70-200mm f2.8 is usm II and it's xbox huge. No problems tho!

Did you check the stadiums guidelines before you headed out? I never have, I just assume that it's alright to bring a camera to a sporting event like these, but maybe it's a stadium specific rule?

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
hippoeater said:
Did you check the stadiums guidelines before you headed out? I never have, I just assume that it's alright to bring a camera to a sporting event like these, but maybe it's a stadium specific rule?

No I did not. I guess it was stupid of me not doing so however :-[

kubelik said:
JR, check the venue website for your NHL team.

I guess this is a very good suggestion you guys bring here. I will make sure to do that going forward. I guess the reason this never crossed my mind was those tickets were season tickets I get access to all the time so it was not the first time I went there. Just the first time I thought of bringing my camera. It'll teach me not to check the website first. I will try going back before the end of the season (Montreal will miss the playoof for sure so not too many home game left!)...and if there is no way to bring my DSLR, well maybe I will give the G1X a try!

Upvote 0
I can verify (as a fellow NHL fan) that there is no league policy and the policy is set by the team in consultation with the facility. For example, in Buffalo (First Niagara Center) the policy for the Sabres games is different than it is for concerts:

http://www.firstniagaracenter.com/guide.asp

In the case of the Sabres, as long as you don't obstruct the view (so bringing the EF 1200 f5.6 along is out of the question) you can bring whatever you want.

Upvote 0
Professional sports are all businesses -- and in it for the money. I had no trouble at a Phillies game last year with a white 70-200, but I know it's their game and their rules so my expectations are low. (I ended up having a lot more fun taking pictures of drenched people waiting out the rain delay!)

For me, it's easier and more rewarding to take pictures at high school games, even little league. I think such pictures are usually better.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.