[Short film] Personnel selection (Essi Girano 50H Film Festival - 2013)

Selezione Personale (50H Film Festival - Edizione 2013)
English subs.

Written, shot and edited in 50 hours for the "Essi Girano 50H Film Festival".

Given theme: Serendipity
Elements to be included: a mathematical formula and a character with a tic.

I had a 5 people crew, me included.

Cameras:
Day scenes: 5D MKII 100 ISO (detail inside the car at 400 ISO)
Night scenes: 5D MKIII 640-800 ISO

Lenses:
- Camera car: 24-105/4 at 35mm f/8
- Detail inside the car: 50/1.8 II at f/4
- Trunks scene: 50/1.8 II at f/2.8
- Lockpiking scene: 100/2,8 Macro IS at f/2.8
- All others night scenes: 16-35/2.8 II at f/2.8, except 50/1.8 II at f/2.8 for the safe scene and 100/2.8 Macro IS for the close-ups.

I used the "Neutral" picture profile and didn't add any sharpening, just some contrast and desaturated. I used Magic Lantern to get the cinescope crop marks, the manual audio levels on the 5D MK II, the 1/25 roller shutter speed and to reduce the codec compression (I chose the 1,5x option).
Dialogues have been recorded with an external device.

Thank you, click!

@Drizzt321:
Wow, nice job!
Did you choose not to do live audio recording for artistic reasons or to speed-up shooting and editing?
Did the editor started working during the shooting or only at the end of it?
Equipment?
And most important: theme and "bonds" (I don't know how you call it...) of the contest?

Upvote 0
luciolepri said:
Thank you, click!

@Drizzt321:
Wow, nice job!
Did you choose not to do live audio recording for artistic reasons or to speed-up shooting and editing?
Did the editor started working during the shooting or only at the end of it?
Equipment?
And most important: theme and "bonds" (I don't know how you call it...) of the contest?
Ah, yes.

Genre: Silent Film
Props: Water Bottle
Phrase: Why did you do that.

So, fortunately we didn't need any audio since we didn't have anyone to do audio.

We did the transcoding to editing format while filming, although didn't do any real editing until after we finished filming. Unfortunately we didn't get it submitted quite in time because we took too long in the editing, not enough discipline.

We used some 5d2's, steadicam, and a couple of lights. Fairly good sized team, I think we had 15+ people with actors and couple of us who were helping out however was needed.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
Unfortunately we didn't get it submitted quite in time because we took too long in the editing, not enough discipline.

Yeah, I know, it's very hard to stop before you're satisfied. Fortunately, I had an actor breathing down my neck during the whole post production, otherwise I'd probably be still there searching for the perfect color grading...

Anyway you did a good job, maybe it will be useful for some other competition.
I really liked the actor!

Upvote 0
luciolepri said:
Drizzt321 said:
Unfortunately we didn't get it submitted quite in time because we took too long in the editing, not enough discipline.

Yeah, I know, it's very hard to stop before you're satisfied. Fortunately, I had an actor breathing down my neck during the whole post production, otherwise I'd probably be still there searching for the perfect color grading...

Anyway you did a good job, maybe it will be useful for some other competition.
I really liked the actor!

Well...it was more a bit of time mis-management by a few of the team. We had everything in the can in plenty of time, but then the guys who were going to be doing the rough cut for the rest of the team decided to start messing with it...then went to sleep at something like 4 or 5am, and so things were barely started going again by 1pm, and there was a bunch of people giving inputs...then rendering time...suffice to say it was a great learning experience, but frustrating in that we only missed the turn in by something like 30 minutes :(

Yea, he's very good. My best friend, and mostly the reason I've gotten pulled into various small production stuff. His IMDB page if you want. If you're ever in LA, feel free to PM me and get in touch even if it's just to have a few drinks or a bite to eat.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
Yea, he's very good. My best friend, and mostly the reason I've gotten pulled into various small production stuff. His IMDB page if you want. If you're ever in LA, feel free to PM me and get in touch even if it's just to have a few drinks or a bite to eat.

I checked his IMDB page, thank you for the link. I'd be very glad to meet you both, I'm planning to cross the ocean next year and chances are that I'll end up just in LA, so... who knows!

Upvote 0