Should/can Canon keep making its own sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillsilly said:
If Canon became a pure marketing company, selling a camera made of components from other supplier's spare parts bins, it would quickly dissolve into irrelevance. I'm not keen for that to happen and encourage Canon to keep making their own sensors.

Despite numerous claims that Sony sensors are better, where is the real world proof? They might have a slightly different "look", but better? I've never taken a photo and thought it would be better if I'd used a Nikon or Sony.

Anyway, arguments about sensors pale in consideration to the real issues - black and white vs colour, negatives vs transparencies, Velvia vs Provia vs Astia, kodak vs Ilford vs Rollei vs Fuji vs Fompan vs Agfa vs .... If only there was one film!

All the electronic enhancements off, and for some reason actual DR output directly from the D800 is less than the that output from the 5D Mk III.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/19

Yes, the test is made using in camera JPG, but, that takes 3rd party RAW decoders out of the picture.

Upvote 0
thebowtie said:
There's no point speculating / pontificating on what Canon should / could do - unless you work for Canon, and then that forum should not be visible here.

But there is - from a purely consumer perspective, it's pretty interesting if the for example the 5d3 will drop $500 until x-mas or the 24-70ii will stay as expensive and so on...

thebowtie said:
I'm quite sure Canon have good methods for gathering market intelligence about what the market requires - how they execute that strategy is their business, not ours.

I'm sure Kodak and Polaroid had excellent marketing gathering intelligence, too - or at least that's what they believed :p

Chuck Alaimo said:
So I'm really kind of wondering why canon would listen to you and drop prices? If they were in trouble, they would.

I'm pretty sure that you're not correct - dslrs are no mobile phones where a real market exists with flexible prices that respond to customer demand. Canon can't simply axe $500-$1000 off the 5d3 w/o ruining their reputation and alienating their early adopters customer base. The only strategically sound option for them is to release a competitive 5d2 successor for the folk's that aren't prepared to spend $3500 yet - and I'm very interested in seeing how they perform this magic trick.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.