Should you be allowed to shoot down a drone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jthomson said:
Don Haines said:
and now for something completely different.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZPxkRmmH4s

liked the bit where he said you don't bring a gun to a drone fight. ;D
There are some threads where you just can't keep a serious expression on your face.....

Upvote 0
jarrodeu said:
While much of this has been said in fun, it's obvious some members don't have the maturity or skills to operate a firearm and thus don't want others owning them either.
Jarrod

Damn, thats me rumbled. Immature, skill-less and jealous.

It's not that I vividly remember when news reports trickled through of a shooting at a school. Of hearing bulletin by bulletin the horrible extent of the massacre. It's not that in the days and weeks and months afterwards I thought more of the parents who had to bury their children than of the recreational shooters who had to curtail their hobby.

It's not that I wept as I read Mick Norths book about losing his daughter Sophie, it's not the anger that boiled up inside of me when I read of how the local gun club refused to remain silent during the funerals an act of defiance that meant gunshots could be heard as the small coffins of five and six year olds were being lowered into the ground.

It's not that Thomas Hamilton, despite being known to the Police, was allowed to obtain a gun license despite no occupational or lifestyle need, its not that he was able to obtain quite legally automatic high calibre hand guns, not bb guns, not shotgun pellets, not airguns, but serious weaponary....

it's none of that. It's down to my lack of maturity, and envy of marksmenship of course.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jarrodeu said:
While much of this has been said in fun, it's obvious some members don't have the maturity or skills to operate a firearm and thus don't want others owning them either.
Jarrod
I work on a military site....right beside a VERY active range......

We always had guns in the house when I grew up.... Rifles and service revolvers in a locked gun case (parent's bedroom), ammunition in another locked case(basement), bolts in a small safe (china cabinet).... that's how you safely store them and yes, just like the comedian said, ABSOLUTLY USELESS IN AN EMERGENCY!

I have spent more hours than I care to remember on firing ranges... trained by and shooting with members of the RCMP tactical team......

I will NOT have a gun in my house. I have no need for it nor do I think that in the case of an "emergency" I will suddenly be transformed into RAMBO...... I have spent enough time around professionals to have an accurate grasp of the situation and my views are coloured by that experience, not by movies and television....

Go ahead, attack me for lack of emotional maturity and inexperience....

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Don Haines said:
jarrodeu said:
Jarrod
I work on a military site....right beside a VERY active range......

We always had guns in the house when I grew up.... Rifles and service revolvers in a locked gun case (parent's bedroom), ammunition in another locked case(basement), bolts in a small safe (china cabinet).... that's how you safely store them and yes, just like the comedian said, ABSOLUTLY USELESS IN AN EMERGENCY!

I have spent more hours than I care to remember on firing ranges... trained by and shooting with members of the RCMP tactical team......

I will NOT have a gun in my house. I have no need for it nor do I think that in the case of an "emergency" I will suddenly be transformed into RAMBO...... I have spent enough time around professionals to have an accurate grasp of the situation and my views are coloured by that experience, not by movies and television....

Go ahead, attack me for lack of emotional maturity and inexperience....
+1
Thank you for saing that so clearly, Don.
There is no reason, no "emergency" to have guns in your house.
The "emergency" only exists in the head of those who WANT one in their house and that'll sometimes cause the REAL emergencies.

And now I am out of this thread because I can't stnad it anymore without becomming subjective.

Upvote 0
Obviously this thread has (predictably) steered into a gun debate. And I also agree with Don that guns properly stored at home are not useful for an emergency protection scenario. The first thing I purchased before I got back into firearm ownership, training and shooting was to buy a safe. A real safe. A safe good enough to replace the need for a safe deposit box at a bank. (Which isn't safe at all but that's another topic.) I got the safe to prevent my guns from ending up on the street after a break-in or being destroyed in a fire.

Folks, the reason for gun ownership should be whatever the owner chooses. Collecting, recreation, hunting or protection. I enjoy shooting my firearms just like I enjoy shooting my cameras, cutting wood and building things in my shop and tinkering with my car. I enjoy owning things that give me satisfaction and pleasure.

But Protection is an individual responsibility however it is achieved. It's not up to the police or anyone else to protect you and your family. A more realistic protection scenario is when the police are overwhelmed and not available. Any time society and social structure is weakened or suspended, it's even more critical that the individual assume responsibility for their own protection. The police are NOT protectors. The police are NOT a security force. They simply respond to requests from the citizenry to enforce the law when someone has suffered from a breach of law. So we own both lethal and non-lethal forms of protection and we will use them as we see fit given the situation. If someone is properly trained in firearm use and ownership, they learn that firearms are a LAST RESORT protection. This fact is often omitted from most discussions.

I live in a nice neighborhood that is surrounded by a lot of low income apartment complexes. When things go bad and there are people in the streets rioting, looting and contributing to various forms of random violence where do you think they will go first? The same place they go now to break into our cars and case our homes to rob them. Because to them, we are the "rich" folks who have more than they have and should be able to afford for them to take it.

I don't own firearms to shoot the random intruder that breaks in when I'm not home. I own firearms so my sons, my wife and myself are familiar with their operation and use just like driving a car. And if it's ever up to us to protect ourselves in a tense and bad situation, we won't be defenseless. I wouldn't go looking for trouble but if trouble comes looking for me, I won't be unprepared. The old saying goes hope for the best and prepare for the worst. If all other protections are ignored or breached, the firearms will be the final measure used to end the struggle.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
If someone is properly trained in firearm use and ownership, they learn that firearms are a LAST RESORT protection.
So wouldn't it be sensible to ensure that everyone is properly trained before they are allowed to buy a gun?
Then no one would be shooting at drones as there is no way this can ever be described as a last resort

Upvote 0
"Hey bad guy, aaaaaah got a gunnnnn"

"So have I"

Outcome.. everybody gets shot at.

It's all very cinematic.

Life is quite boring here in the UK by comparison. We just call the Police and they come and deal with it for us.

Nobody has guns except for very very hardened criminals (not at the housebreaking end of the scale) and cops and so very very very few people get killed by people using guns.

I think it is a better way. There are other hobbies like darts, kiting, or watercolour painting which is quite relaxing.

None of these make you feel like a real man right enough. None of these hobbies give you a sense of empowerment and authority that you may otherwise lack. None of them make you feel like John Wayne in an old movie.

And not many drones get shot down.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Hi Tinky, ever been burgled?
I have, 4 times. Once by a pro (no danger there), once by a guy who was subsequently convicted of attempted murder and twice by a guy who was convicted of the murder of a young fit Black Belt on his next burglary (after getting out of prison for mine!).
Yes you are right the UK is an entertaining place to live but my lack of the right to defend myself (not worried about the property) is not very entertaining at all!
I am VERY lucky to still be here - no thanks to UK law!

To the original question - no I do not approve of a general right to attack "Drones" in any form unless they represent an immediate danger to public safety eg at Airports.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Tinky said:
Life is quite boring here in the UK by comparison. We just call the Police and they come and deal with it for us.

Nobody has guns except for very very hardened criminals (not at the housebreaking end of the scale) and cops and so very very very few people get killed by people using guns.

I think it is a better way. There are other hobbies like darts, kiting, or watercolour painting which is quite relaxing.

None of these make you feel like a real man right enough. None of these hobbies give you a sense of empowerment and authority that you may otherwise lack. None of them make you feel like John Wayne in an old movie.

Perhaps a conversation with George Digweed (26 time world champion FITASC shooter - with the latest title being won in July 2015) or Cheryl Hall winning the ladies' title at the same event as George (definitely all woman, just for reference to feeling "manly"), Richard Faulds (2014 World Shooting champion) just to name a couple - all of which are "civilian", "hobbyist" Brits may enlighten you to just how many people in the UK have guns.

Thought it might shed some light on hobbies available in your own beloved UK (the origination point for nearly all shooting sports and hunting with firearms, historically).

While the gun topic sparked the longer more intense debate, isn't the real topic at hand here a bunch of douchebag drone owners, or even more douchebagg-y parents buying their kids copters that are not respecting privacy, not following rules, not using common sense or at least common decency? After all, using the case of a kid's toy - shouldn't the parent be responsible for watching the kid use the toy safely? After all, the rotors are practically ninja blades spinning just waiting to decapitate some poor innocent bystander. ;D

The short of it: I don't blame someone who's privacy is invaded for having the gumption to say they'd like to shoot it down. Doing so, though, they take responsibility for what they've done... just as a drone pilot needs to for their actions/decisions. In the case of planes being disrupted from flight or emergency responders being impeded... the drone pilot probably should be serving time in prison for being a menace to society.

Upvote 0
johnf3f said:
I have, 4 times. Once by a pro (no danger there), once by a guy who was subsequently convicted of attempted murder and twice by a guy who was convicted of the murder of a young fit Black Belt on his next burglary (after getting out of prison for mine!).
Yes you are right the UK is an entertaining place to live but my lack of the right to defend myself (not worried about the property) is not very entertaining at all!

To the original question - no I do not approve of a general right to attack "Drones" in any form unless they represent an immediate danger to public safety eg at Airports.

Point is burglers don't generally carry guns becuase 99.99% of people don't have them. Had your four burgulars carried guns because of threat of their victims having guns too do you think you'd be more or less likely to be alive?

You can still play guns in the UK, just join a club.

You want to keep an arsenal under you bed? well no you can't, and that's better for the rest of us.

Upvote 0
johnf3f said:

Yes I have been burgled. On a few occassions, usually happens daytimes in these parts when folks are more likely to be out.

On one occasion I disturbed a guy forcing open my neighbours door (the perils of editing late into the night).

I ran down stairs and jumped over the fence to confront him. Thankfully he had fled or was hiding, long enough for common sense to kick in and I ran back to my house and called the police. As they put the call out a patrol unit was passing the main road at the back of my house just in time to catch the guy climbing over a fence.

He had a machete, which he had been using to lever doors, and possibly in case he was confronted.

Had there been guns involved what could have happened? Me facing a murder or manslaughter charge? Me being shot? Guns wouldn't have made the situation any better. All for what, a petty crime and material goods that were insured anyway?

And the lesson for me is that you can make wreckless decisions when fear or adrenalin kicks in.

The guy was 19, and had actually got into mine a couple of years before, long term heroin user, now dead.

I didn't shed any tears, but I'm not god. I wasn't in danger until I went outside, and If I had a weapon to hand I would have probably lifted it.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
I'm ex-army too and I feel the same. Many of my friends are still into shooting, but the thought of having rifles in my home with my kids around scares me to death. In the extremely remote chance that someone breaks into my home when I'm there, well, I've always thought a field hockey stick would be a useful item to defend myself with.

Luckily, living in Australia, we don't have a big gun culture in our larger cities. If anyone broke into my home, they're likely to be teenage drug addicts who will run off the moment they see you. They're not going to be armed or looking for a fight. Knowing that most people aren't armed takes a lot of the pressure away to be armed yourself.

Not saying that bad things don't happen, but out murder rate is fairly low and nearly all family related. To put it in perspective, you're 5 times more likely to be murdered in the USA or 90 times more likely to be murdered in Honduras. In Honduras, 85% of murders are firearm related and I understand they don't have much in the way of gun control legislation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.