Show your Bird Portraits

bhf3737

---
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
Good photos but why Yellow legs (which one particularly?) - there are other sandpipers with an yellow legs... I would check for the Solitary Sandpiper (it also can have an yellow, not always greenish legs).
Thanks. I was rather confused between Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs! My guess is that it is Lesser Yellowlegs.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks. I was rather confused between Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs! My guess is that it is Lesser Yellowlegs.
bhf3737 - it's your photo and you can call it what you want:)!

My points for the Solitary Sandpiper:
1. The back and the wings on your photo are to red-brown for an Yellow legs. The spots are to uniformly rounded/colored.
2. The flank feathers that cover partially the wings are to white (in the case of the Yellow legs you most probably will have some darker spots there)
3. The legs are not "yellow enough":): it depend on how muddy they are but your bird looks pretty clean. The Yellow legs have brighter yellow on the legs.
4. The bill of your bird is little bit shorter and ticker for Yellow leg. The base seems to have some greenish tint (not present in the Yellow legs) but I would agree that it is not always and easily visible. The upper mandible of your bird has that lighter (yellow-green) line and I don't think it's because of the exposure - it is not "bleached". The Yellow legs have dark upper mandible.

bhf3737

---
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
bhf3737 - it's your photo and you can call it what you want:)!

My points for the Solitary Sandpiper:
1. The back and the wings on your photo are to red-brown for an Yellow legs. The spots are to uniformly rounded/colored.
2. The flank feathers that cover partially the wings are to white (in the case of the Yellow legs you most probably will have some darker spots there)
3. The legs are not "yellow enough":): it depend on how muddy they are but your bird looks pretty clean. The Yellow legs have brighter yellow on the legs.
4. The bill of your bird is little bit shorter and ticker for Yellow leg. The base seems to have some greenish tint (not present in the Yellow legs) but I would agree that it is not always and easily visible. The upper mandible of your bird has that lighter (yellow-green) line and I don't think it's because of the exposure - it is not "bleached". The Yellow legs have dark upper mandible.
Thanks for clarification. I should rely more on experts' opinion for identifying birds rather than apps.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for clarification. I should rely more on experts' opinion for identifying birds rather than apps.
Always!
BTW I like what candyman has on his account: "The more you look, the more you see ─ Robert M. Pirsig"
With the apps you don't see that much - it's like a Point and shot camera versus the camera you use:D!

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Always!
BTW I like what candyman has on his account: "The more you look, the more you see ─ Robert M. Pirsig"
With the apps you don't see that much - it's like a Point and shot camera versus the camera you use:D!
On the other hand, as Erasmus said: "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
Glossy Ibis, Quite rare for SE England. R5, 600F4 iii +1.4
_N4A2954.jpg