Show your Bird Portraits

Good photos but why Yellow legs (which one particularly?) - there are other sandpipers with an yellow legs... I would check for the Solitary Sandpiper (it also can have an yellow, not always greenish legs).
Thanks. I was rather confused between Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs! My guess is that it is Lesser Yellowlegs.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks. I was rather confused between Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs! My guess is that it is Lesser Yellowlegs.
bhf3737 - it's your photo and you can call it what you want:)!

My points for the Solitary Sandpiper:
1. The back and the wings on your photo are to red-brown for an Yellow legs. The spots are to uniformly rounded/colored.
2. The flank feathers that cover partially the wings are to white (in the case of the Yellow legs you most probably will have some darker spots there)
3. The legs are not "yellow enough":): it depend on how muddy they are but your bird looks pretty clean. The Yellow legs have brighter yellow on the legs.
4. The bill of your bird is little bit shorter and ticker for Yellow leg. The base seems to have some greenish tint (not present in the Yellow legs) but I would agree that it is not always and easily visible. The upper mandible of your bird has that lighter (yellow-green) line and I don't think it's because of the exposure - it is not "bleached". The Yellow legs have dark upper mandible.

Upvote 0
bhf3737 - it's your photo and you can call it what you want:)!

My points for the Solitary Sandpiper:
1. The back and the wings on your photo are to red-brown for an Yellow legs. The spots are to uniformly rounded/colored.
2. The flank feathers that cover partially the wings are to white (in the case of the Yellow legs you most probably will have some darker spots there)
3. The legs are not "yellow enough":): it depend on how muddy they are but your bird looks pretty clean. The Yellow legs have brighter yellow on the legs.
4. The bill of your bird is little bit shorter and ticker for Yellow leg. The base seems to have some greenish tint (not present in the Yellow legs) but I would agree that it is not always and easily visible. The upper mandible of your bird has that lighter (yellow-green) line and I don't think it's because of the exposure - it is not "bleached". The Yellow legs have dark upper mandible.
Thanks for clarification. I should rely more on experts' opinion for identifying birds rather than apps.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for clarification. I should rely more on experts' opinion for identifying birds rather than apps.
Always!
BTW I like what candyman has on his account: "The more you look, the more you see ─ Robert M. Pirsig"
With the apps you don't see that much - it's like a Point and shot camera versus the camera you use:D!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Always!
BTW I like what candyman has on his account: "The more you look, the more you see ─ Robert M. Pirsig"
With the apps you don't see that much - it's like a Point and shot camera versus the camera you use:D!
On the other hand, as Erasmus said: "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Glossy Ibis, Quite rare for SE England. R5, 600F4 iii +1.4
View attachment 200454
Nice photo! At much better angle...
We don't have the Glossy here but the White-faced Ibis is coming time to time (not this year so far). Note the red eye - in the Glossy they are dark. Otherwise hard to separate.
My photo is taken from above - the bird is in preserved area, no way to get on the properly lit side and no way to get low-level shot since I'm outside of the preserve.
Now we have both sister species together:)!

DSC_8203_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

A couple more shots from the last few months. I love shooting herons. They can be the most elegant of birds or a complete mess. I struggled to get one in flight mainly because they would always fly in the opposite direction, so I have plenty of shots of heron's a**es :ROFLMAO:
Great tits are nothing special (although still beautiful IMO) but since I get them in the garden, they make for great practice subjects to refine some skills, like finding them through the viewfinder.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Most of our Yellow Crowned Night Heron population is about to head further south but some are still lurking around for the Fall crabs. These were taken about 30 minutes apart, one just before sunset and the other after most of the sky color had left.

Just after landing and doing a strut back to the water.
SDR146026A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4x 1/1000 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000

Waiting for a crab to make its last move with the last color from the Belt of Venus in the water.
SDR146028A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II 1/20 : f/6.3 : ISO 1000

Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0