Shutter shock on the R7

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Thank you very much. Yeah, some of the Fuji loyalists are...interesting. I love the cameras, but I can very clearly acknowledge their shortcoming and, as you identified, high price. They price themselves in between typical APS-C and full-frame...so it was very difficult to even make the jump. My wife helped facilitate the switch as a birthday by getting me an X-E4 kit. At that point I began to sell off all my EOS-M stuff that I had accumulated since the launch of the M5 and was able to fund the jump into Fujifilm that way.

But, as I feared, it became a quest to build the perfect camera kit - which I believe I have done now. Mind you, I only bought the X-T30II new by selling the X-E4 and all but 2 lenses were purchased used through Facebook marketplace, MPB, or KEH. The X-T4 was used at a good price and the X-100V I found in my city for a total STEAL of a deal (its my most used Fuji camera and I never leave it at home) My current plan is to streamline the Fuji kit because I have more than I originally set out for. But keep in mind that I'm a total loser that does nothing but capture and edit photos and I consider it a vacation from my job as a photographer to travel with my wife and dog to capture and edit more photos. LOL
As I read this: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-h2s-review

I read every word...wow!...will you be getting one of these?

...seems like a spectacular camera.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
As I read this: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-h2s-review

I read every word...wow!...will you be getting one of these?

...seems like a spectacular camera.
Actually, I've had one to test out since the start of the month. I didn't bring it on my previous work trip from the 17th-23rd (brought the R7), but I brought it on this trip from the 25th-29th where I was shooting drag racing. I used it rather extensively and had an excellent time with the camera. As strange as this is to say, its automobile detection is much better than the R3. These are race cars I'm shooting that don't exactly look "normal" and the Fuji never had any trouble understanding what was and wasn't a car - correction** it would randomly find a car in strange places like someone's feet, but if there was a car in the frame it knew it was a car. Comparing it to the R3, the Canon has always struggled to identify some of the race cars I shoot. To the point where car detection is something I use very seldom because I still prefer to focus on the car myself with the AF point and track it unless I want to exploit it for purposes of creative framing. I also find that the R3 will often focus on the wrong area of the car like the top of the windshield instead of the front of the car. So I just don't use it unless - like I said - I use it to put the car in a different area to frame the shot.

MAJOR con to the X-HS2 are its file sizes. There are 3 types of RAW compressions to choose from: Uncompressed, Lossless Compressed, and Compressed. ALL of these are way too large to shoot with for long periods of time. Uncompressed RAW files are north of 58MB, Lossless is 26-32MB, and the smallest Compressed around 17-21MB. These are far too large and the Compressed setting has a very big drop in file quality that makes it useless to shoot in if you are intending to utilize RAW. Contrast this with the Canon R3 in CRAW which runs around 8-12MB per file and are very good RAW files if you're not going crazy pushing shadow details. These Fuji RAW file sizes make it unmanageable for large scale photography like shooting a race from 8am-9pm for three or four days straight. For example (and this is shocking, really) yesterday I shot 2,787 images on the R3 in CRAW for a total capacity of 29.15GB. I only shot 773 images with the X-HS2 in Lossless Compressed RAW for a total capacity of 22.19GB. This is a BIG deal and is one of the reasons I believe the R3 is simply the best motorsports camera ever created. LOL

VIDEO: The X-HS2 video is great quality...but the IBIS is very jerky when panning with a car and that's pretty unfortunate. Oh and the autofocus just does what it wants in this mode...so good luck. LOL

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the X-HS2 with the regular X-HS on the horizon next week (fingers crossed for an X-T5). What I can say is that this camera has horrible ergonomics, bad dial customization (the rear dial is 100% useless in manual mode with the current firmware...and I mean 100% useless. It can only be assigned to control aperture which is already on the lens (so totally a useless dial) and it will only control ISO if you press the ISO button first and it absolutely can't be used to control exposure compensation in manual mode if you're using Auto ISO...a horrible HORRIBLE decision by Fujifilm that makes the camera less usable as a professional tool. This could be fixed in firmware, but as it stands right now, it's hilarious to already have just 2 dials and then when you're shooting manual mode you only have 1 dial when that's when you really need MORE dials.

The entire reason I started shooting Fuij to begin with was because they were fun to shoot and I didn't think this was a "fun" camera to shoot with. It was just a very good and extremely capable camera to shoot with. The sensor is very good, the video is terrific, and for $2500 is can keep up with the R3 in almost every way. ALMOST every way. But very poor ergonomic choices and lack of AF control options hold it back to what look like a small amount on paper, when its actually a substantial amount in the real world. This is a monstrously superior camera to the Canon R7 and it only upsets me more knowing that Canon could have created something just like it and I would be very happy...instead we go the slow sensor readout and crappy mechanical shutter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I wish my old Konicas had the opportunity for this kind of shutter shock. Their Copal shutters would randomly have the curtains reopen while advancing the film. That ruined several (hopefully) great photos.
Whaaat? My Konica Autoreflex TC never had a problem. I had it with the 40mm 1.8 and later got a Sigma (80-200 or 70-200 I do not remember). But when I lost the zoom (It seems I dropped its bag and - I was told - an old lady had taken it and run) a friend in work suggested Canon. That year it was thinking about T90 but then the EOS series has been introduced and I got EOS 620 with 35-105 and 100-300. I do not know if I have to thank that old lady. Also, I wonder what she did with a Sigma zoom with Konica mount!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Whaaat? My Konica Autoreflex TC never had a problem. I had it with the 40mm 1.8 and later got a Sigma (80-200 or 70-200 I do not remember). But when I lost the zoom (It seems I dropped its bag and - I was told - an old lady had taken it and run) a friend in work suggested Canon. That year it was thinking about T90 but then the EOS series has been introduced and I got EOS 620 with 35-105 and 100-300. I do not know if I have to thank that old lady. Also, I wonder what she did with a Sigma zoom with Konica mount!!!
I would definitely thank that old lady.
I had a T3n and a T4 that both had the copal shutter issue. Once Konica went with the built-in “motor drive” (their term for the 1 fps), that issue disappeared. But another issue came about with my FS-1. A piece of reflective metal at the bottom of the shutter caused a band of flare on film. I painted over this on both the FS-1 and FT-1. That solved the issue.

Both of my Konica mount Sigma lenses had a small wheel that traveled while stopping down. This wheel rode on an arced ridge. This ridge had a curved “drop off”. Eventually the wheel would bind up at this point, causing the aperture to not fully close. I therefore swore off Sigma lenses, but always enjoyed my Hexanon 40mm 1.8. I wish Canon’s pancake lenses were f1.8 also.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0