Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Pricing and Preorder Coming May 25

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Pricing and preorder for the Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art series lens is coming May 25, 2018<a href="https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/998787173900894209"> according to Nokishita</a>.</p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal product-highlights-header"><strong>Product Highlights</strong></p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Three FLD Elements, Two SLD Elements</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">One Aspherical Element</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Super Multi-Layer Coating</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Hyper Sonic AF Motor, Manual Override</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Weather-Sealed, Protective Front Coating</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Removable Rotating Arca-Type Tripod Foot</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Compatible with Sigma USB Dock</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="https://bhpho.to/2x8s4LE">Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art at B&H Photo</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
This will be interesting. I'm not sure if there are any detailed reviews yet.
It's very heavy - heavier than a 70-200 II.
I like the fact the tripod collar is Swiss Arca compatible.
Lets see how much of bokeh master it is and how accurate and sharp it is.
I've often used the Canon 100m L 2.8 for portraits and I like that focal length.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
cayenne said:
Any guesses as to the price?
should be somewhere in range of 1700$ to 2000$.

My thoughts as well. Nikon's version, the Nikkor AF-S 105mm F/1.4 ED is $2200. I'd anticipate Sigma might try to come in at $1699 or $1799. They have a good habit of undercutting the 1st-party competition by several hundred dollars.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Canoneer said:
Chaitanya said:
cayenne said:
Any guesses as to the price?
should be somewhere in range of 1700$ to 2000$.

My thoughts as well. Nikon's version, the Nikkor AF-S 105mm F/1.4 ED is $2200. I'd anticipate Sigma might try to come in at $1699 or $1799. They have a good habit of undercutting the 1st-party competition by several hundred dollars.
This is quite big piece of glass of so won't be surprised if this lens was priced much closer to 2000$ mark. Also I remember in interviews that this is another glass from Sigma for which astrophotographers are a target group so I am seriously interested to reviews with regards to that. I dont shoot portraits but since there is no fast tele lens from Canon I won't mind renting this lens for a night or two of astrophotography.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canoneer said:

I bet Sigma is regretting its mount conversion service now. If they didn't offer that, they could undercut Nikon for units (per their normal modus operandi) and absolutely set the price on fire for the EF version.

Canon's not going to make this lens, so Sigma could have shot for the moon price-wise here. The only first party items that will top this for bokeh/separation are, what, 200 f/2L IS? 400 f/2.8L IS II? Those are crazy pricy.

- A

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
On a slightly related topic....

Of late, how well does AF work on these new Sigma lens?

I've not bought into them yet due to early on, hearing that the AF wasn't working all that well.

I'd be interested in this lens, maybe, but not that kind of $$$ if the AutoFocus wasn't at least very close to comparable to that of a Canon native lens...

C

Upvote 0
Very niche lens - I wonder who it is for. Wouldn't astro photographers want a wider angle? I had the Sigma 85 f1.4 EX for a few years and it was a nice lens, but too niche to carry most of the time so I finally traded it in. One thing about the 85, though, it was very handholdable. If this is heavier than a 70-200 2.8 I have a hard time understanding the appeal. It's not telephoto enough to be a wildlife lens. Maybe if you are a wedding and/or portrait shooter and you just want that little extra blur (to eliminate busy backgrounds on city streets, etc).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Awesome. My favorite focal range runs 105-135 for portraits. I have 8 lenses in that range and love them all. This thing, though, is a beast. A trip to the local camera shop is in order upon release for a look at it. Sigma has never excited me, but this might do it. Can't wait to see posts from buyers.

If I ever bought this lens, I'd then also have to get a cat. ;)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ahsanford said:
MrFotoFool said:
Very niche lens - I wonder who it is for.

Portraiture. (How on earth was that your third guess?)

- A

Only if you don’t mind having just one eye in focus. Just me, but this lens screams - just because you can build it doesn’t mean you should build it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
Only if you don’t mind having just one eye in focus. Just me, but this lens screams - just because you can build it doesn’t mean you should build it.

Sure, similarly the 200mm f/2L IS isn't for everyone. But it's gold for some folks because those are the sorts of images they want to make.

This is no exception to me, and if bokeh/isolation is your jam, this new Sigma is probably the 135 f/2L II you don't have the patience to wait for.

- A

Upvote 0
While this lens is - as all Art Lenses - of superb IQ I doubt that it is useful for my shooting "style": I like to be unbound.

A camera/lens combo mustn't go into the way while taking photographs. A 1.6 kg lens with 115x130mm size (on a 200D) is a BRICK. Loosing one f-stop and some IQ the EF f/2 100mm with its tiny size and weight (compared to the Sigma) lets me see this lens as the superior lens for MY requirements (as non-professional).

If the EF f/1.4 85mm IS had 1:4 maximum reproduction ratio it were the perfect lens for me: high max aperture combined with image stabilization (that I like to see in high aperture lenses designed for low light) + moderate weight/size again compared to the sigma.

But all in all Sigma is providing great options for those who like or need it and I would like to see more lens options from Canon with their mix of specs: very high but not superior IQ, small footprint, IS in high aperture lenses etc.

Upvote 0