Sigma 12-24mm Mk II has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J. McCabe

1982chris911 said:
I am very much looking forward to your review as this will probably be my next lens ... especially interesting would be the corner sharpness at 12mm and the f4.0 - f8.0 range compared to the previous one ...

There would probably be some reviews by sites with measurements and sample photos before I get to buy the lens, but I'd be happy to upload side-by-side comparisons once I buy the lens.

Usually I trade-in lenses as part of upgrades, but in this case a friend wants to buy the lens, so unless he folds at the last moment, I would be able to shoot with both at the same time.

Upvote 0
A

AdamJ

The lens arrived this morning and I've taken a few field (non-scientific) test shots of the view outside my window. Here are my initial observations.

Centre at 24mm and f5.6 not quite as sharp as my 24-105mm at 24mm / f5.6. At f8 and f11, there really isn't much to choose between the two. The 24-105mm frames slightly tighter so either it doesn't quite reach down to 24mm or the Sigma doesn't quite reach up to 24mm.

Borders and corners very good at all apertures - at least as good as the 24-105mm. This is a pleasant surprise.

Resolution appears to be consistent from 12mm through to 24mm.

I've so far failed to induce any CA. It's a sunny day here so I tried sun reflections off shiny paintwork. No discernible CA. Another pleasant surprise.

I thought to begin with that the lens was back-focusing but it isn't. Being as wide-angle as it is, the difference between 2 metres and infinity on the focus ring is just a few millimetres of rotation so the distance window displays infinity when focusing on anything more than a few metres away. It just goes to show how deep the depth of field is on a lens like this.

Build quality excellent. Smooth, dry action to the zoom and focus rings (very similar firmness and feel to the 24-105mm).

I'll post some photos when I've had a chance to do a proper outdoor shoot.

Incidentally, I bought it from Warehouse Express here in the UK but I can't find anywhere else in any country that is advertising it yet.

Upvote 0
EELinneman said:
I have the first gen version of this lens - needed something for a trip to Hawaii and Mark II wasn't out. Not the sharpest, but some interesting pictures. Here is one at 12mm

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/Eric_Linneman/Maui%20June%202011/June%2007%202011/IMG_3627.jpg

Maui. Canon 5D Mark II, exposure was 1/100 at f 7.1 ISO 100

Corner sharpness of that lens is really bad! Just as well use a 14mm lens with good corner sharpness, like the cheaper Samyang.

Upvote 0
M

markd61

I have the original and it has made me a lot of money over the years photographing interiors on first a 5D and now a 5DII.
The corner sharpness is not good wider open but gets better at f11-f16. That said, most images made with it did not have critical subjects in the corner and thus was not an issue.
I still have to say that I was not pleased with the softness a the edges at 12mm. What that meant was cropping in a touch to eliminate the worst of it and thus giving up some angle of view.
Overall, I did get images that I could otherwise not get.

Here is a thread on one happy new owner's experience.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=39051968

Upvote 0
Aucilla River, FL
MG6141ID-S.jpg

MG6150ID-S.jpg

MG6156ID-S.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.