Sigma Announces 85mm f1.4 Art, 12-24mm f/4 Art, 500mm f/4 OS Sport

9VIII

EOS 5D Mark IV
Feb 8, 2013
1,843
0
The wost part about seeing the price on the Sigma 500f4 is that the Canon 500f4ISMkII was the same price in Canadian dollars three years ago.
I couldn't justify it then, so I guess that puts the Sigma out of reach too.

The Sigma 12-24f4 really has my interest, I don't have a good wide angle lens yet and the Canon 11-24 has been taunting me.
 

d

EOS RP
Mar 8, 2015
417
0
jdramirez said:
I love my 85mm f/1.2 (at f/1.2 and even stopped down with a relatively slow auto focus on my 5d mkiii)... but it is just such a pain in the ass to use with a traditional viewfinder/lcd... with this lens... I might be willing to swap the canon for the sigma... might... probably not... it would have be overwhelmingly favorable in comparison...

How is the 85A going to be any better through a viewfinder/LCD?
 

Bennymiata

EOS R
CR Pro
I've been waiting for this lens to come out as I need a good 85mmm lens for video, portaiture and flowers, but as this lens doesn't have stabilization, I'll pass on this.
I think I'll go and have a good look at Tamron's new 85 that does have IS (or VR in Tamron speak).

Come on Canon!
You NEED 2 new 85mm lenses.
 

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
3,389
2,031
Germany
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
... I don't see the official weight on the 85 ART, but from my experience with most of the other ART lenses and the physical dimensions I see I'm anticipating a weight north of 1000g. It looks like a pretty big lens ...
There isn't any information on weight, also on other web pages like the German.
Also about the filter size. I can only see a print on the lens showing a diameter and 86 mm.
If that's right, filter size jumps from 77 to 86 mm, compared to the 85/1.4 EX DG HSM.
If you compare the size of "old" and "new" (two totally different designs):
ca. 84.7 x 87.6 mm at 719 g
ca. 94.7 x 126.2 mm at xxxx g
I suppose you're quite right with "north of 1000g".
If you're doing a simple rule of three you'll end up at about 1160 g ;)

A filter size of 86 mm also fit's to the diameter of 94.7 mm. Really huge front element for this FL and aperture.
Even the 85/1.2L II has "just" 72 mm filter. Will be interesting what that means for the optics and the IQ :)
 

d

EOS RP
Mar 8, 2015
417
0
Maximilian said:
Even the 85/1.2L II has "just" 72 mm filter. Will be interesting what that means for the optics and the IQ :)

I expect very good things with that much light coming in :)
 

LordofTackle

EOS RP
Nov 25, 2014
291
0
Woody said:
While I know some people are very excited about these lenses, I believe the general trend now is towards smaller and lighter lenses. Hmmm....

Hm, my experience over the last years is rather the opposite: the trend is towards better performing lenses (higher quality, both image quality and build)...and this on the "cost" of higher weight and size of the lenses (sadly, most of the time, also higher prize).
This seems true for Canon but also Sigma and Tamron (e.g. the new 100-400, 16-35/4, 35/1.4...AFAIK they are all heavier and sometimes bigger than their predecessors, but please correct me if I'm wrong)
The Sigma Art lenses are also all pretty heavy lenses.
Also Zeiss went that way with their Otus line: best image quality with no compromises
 

d

EOS RP
Mar 8, 2015
417
0
Wedding Shooter said:
d said:
Maximilian said:
Even the 85/1.2L II has "just" 72 mm filter. Will be interesting what that means for the optics and the IQ :)

I expect very good things with that much light coming in :)

The quantity of the light passing trough the lens is the same - regardless of the front element size.

Na, I disagree, mate - the photons aren't as crowded so can spread out a bit more on the way through - helps them relax and makes for less nervous bokeh. ;)

d.
 

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
3,389
2,031
Germany
d said:
Wedding Shooter said:
d said:
Maximilian said:
Even the 85/1.2L II has "just" 72 mm filter. Will be interesting what that means for the optics and the IQ :)

I expect very good things with that much light coming in :)

The quantity of the light passing trough the lens is the same - regardless of the front element size.

Na, I disagree, mate - the photons aren't as crowded so can spread out a bit more on the way through - helps them relax and makes for less nervous bokeh. ;)

d.
To make it a little bit more technical:
If you have a bigger front element/lens than you need at a certain aperture you do not have to make compromises between optical quality of how it bends the light at the edges and the mechanical needs to make it hold well in the lens frame.
 

d

EOS RP
Mar 8, 2015
417
0
Maximilian said:
To make it a little bit more technical:
If you have a bigger front element/lens than you need at a certain aperture you do not have to make compromises between optical quality of how it bends the light at the edges and the mechanical needs to make it hold well in the lens frame.

You saying I wasn't being technical? ;)
 

Alex_M

EOS RP
Oct 16, 2015
345
2
yes, that was the issue with the 24, 35, 50 Art lenses. 50-100 F1.8 was the first, IMHO, Sigma Art lens to receive the new updated AF motor and AF consistency improvements are noticeable. so once again, there is a hope that 85Art is a better focusing lens. with regards to 85 Art being expensive, I suspect that it will be in the Otus 85mm image quality territory. I am very tempted but will wait until The Digital Picture review availability.

P.S. I thought that the larger front element usually helps to reduce vignetting and sharpens the corners. Not so sure about CA.


GMCPhotographics said:
d said:
dilbert said:
brianleighty said:
Ouch! I was hoping for $1000 to be the top end for the 85 1.4. Considering how much more they're asking then the previous version this had better be way better. If they don't nail the focus on this one then it's a pretty clear win for the Canon 85 1.2 in my books.

All of these lenses come with the USB docking feature, so wait and see if the AF can be fine tuned.

I owned a Sigma's 50A for a while, and the issue I had with it wasn't that it consistently front or back focussed, but that it wasn't consistent in putting the focus at the same point time after time when repeatedly trying to focus on a single subject. If they can can overcome *that* issue, then I think there would be a lot less complaining about their lenses.

That's an indicator of the AF motor unable to stop the focus lens group in a consistent manner. IE...poor motor torque.
 

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
258
0
Australia
Nice to see Sigma finally putting out a new super tele style lens, but yeah the price is too high imo. Agreed it's getting into "Canon land" where I'd probably rather hold out for a 2nd hand great-white or something instead. (not that I can justify that either personally)

Although if they fill in the gaps in the pricing with say a refreshed 300mm/2.8 OS for a couple of thousand less that would at least take care of the perception part of it lol. And actually have an affordable super tele that would attract customers.
(hey I can dream lol)
 

Alangeli

Canon since 1979 - Sony since 2015
Mar 21, 2012
38
1
63
Munich, Germany
According to Tony Northrup the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 seems to be very inconsitent in its AF accuracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgIMVjOXfKo


Alex_M said:
yes, that was the issue with the 24, 35, 50 Art lenses. 50-100 F1.8 was the first, IMHO, Sigma Art lens to receive the new updated AF motor and AF consistency improvements are noticeable. so once again, there is a hope that 85Art is a better focusing lens. with regards to 85 Art being expensive, I suspect that it will be in the Otus 85mm image quality territory. I am very tempted but will wait until The Digital Picture review availability.

P.S. I thought that the larger front element usually helps to reduce vignetting and sharpens the corners. Not so sure about CA.
 

BeenThere

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
1,239
664
Eastern Shore
Alex_M said:
yes, that was the issue with the 24, 35, 50 Art lenses. 50-100 F1.8 was the first, IMHO, Sigma Art lens to receive the new updated AF motor and AF consistency improvements are noticeable. so once again, there is a hope that 85Art is a better focusing lens. with regards to 85 Art being expensive, I suspect that it will be in the Otus 85mm image quality territory. I am very tempted but will wait until The Digital Picture review availability.

P.S. I thought that the larger front element usually helps to reduce vignetting and sharpens the corners. Not so sure about CA.


GMCPhotographics said:
Think of designing an f/1.2 lens, but only allowing it to be opened to f1.4. It would then have better edge sharpness and vignetting than if it had been an f/1.2 lens. Lose some bragging rights for wide aperature, but gain kudos for IQ.
d said:
dilbert said:
brianleighty said:
Ouch! I was hoping for $1000 to be the top end for the 85 1.4. Considering how much more they're asking then the previous version this had better be way better. If they don't nail the focus on this one then it's a pretty clear win for the Canon 85 1.2 in my books.

All of these lenses come with the USB docking feature, so wait and see if the AF can be fine tuned.

I owned a Sigma's 50A for a while, and the issue I had with it wasn't that it consistently front or back focussed, but that it wasn't consistent in putting the focus at the same point time after time when repeatedly trying to focus on a single subject. If they can can overcome *that* issue, then I think there would be a lot less complaining about their lenses.

That's an indicator of the AF motor unable to stop the focus lens group in a consistent manner. IE...poor motor torque.
 

Alex_M

EOS RP
Oct 16, 2015
345
2
Not a perfect example, sir :)

I encourage you to look at the following page instead:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50-100mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx

"... Once calibrated, the Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 turned in excellent focusing consistency when focusing at both ends of the focal length range using the center AF point... "

I had only a limited first hand experience with the 50-100 and just recently but can confirm that center AF point consistency was very good with the lens. The AF feels much snappier than with older Art lenses.
In my humble opinion, Sigma decided to test new AF system on the APS-C zoom heavy lens and only then use in 85mm, 24-70 and 70-200 FF lenses as they cannot afford dropping the ball with this trio. it has to be perfect this time.

P.S. The Sigma 85mm Art lens page is up at Sigmaphoto US:

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/85mm-f14-dg-hsm-a


MTF Charts, Distortion Guide and Vignetting (very impressive if true):

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_85_14/data/

mtf.gif
geometrical_mtf.gif


the good old 50 F1.4 Art MTF chart for comparison:

mtf.gif
geometrical_mtf.gif


New HSM AF motor and dust splash proof construction details:

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_85_14/features/#features03


main01.jpg





Alangeli said:
According to Tony Northrup the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 seems to be very inconsitent in its AF accuracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgIMVjOXfKo


Alex_M said:
yes, that was the issue with the 24, 35, 50 Art lenses. 50-100 F1.8 was the first, IMHO, Sigma Art lens to receive the new updated AF motor and AF consistency improvements are noticeable. so once again, there is a hope that 85Art is a better focusing lens. with regards to 85 Art being expensive, I suspect that it will be in the Otus 85mm image quality territory. I am very tempted but will wait until The Digital Picture review availability.

P.S. I thought that the larger front element usually helps to reduce vignetting and sharpens the corners. Not so sure about CA.
 

CanonFanBoy

Purple
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
5,516
3,913
Irving, Texas
DLD said:
I'd rather get a Tamron 15-30. Costs less, doesn't go as wide as the 12mm here. But it's f2.8. Plus is stabilized.

The 85mm is too big for 1.4. Prices are too high in my opinion. I'd rather go Canon at these prices.

Disappointed. Now I fear the 70-200 art will be priced around 1799$. Again I think maybe Canon is in for
The win since you get so much more, compatibility wise, resale and focus consistency.

The Tamron is a winner for sure. A beast of a lens too, but I like heavy lenses.
 

d

EOS RP
Mar 8, 2015
417
0
CanonFanBoy said:
If I were to buy the Sigma 500mm would I have to sand and primer? Or could I just spray the white paint on it without prepping?

;D
 
<-- start Taboola -->