Sigma 12-24mm Mk II has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
K-amps said:
1982chris911 said:
First Shot at 12mm on 5d mkII with the Gen II today ... will post more comments on it later

St. Emmeram Regensburg von 1982Chris911 (Thank you 100.000 Times) auf Flickr

Beautiful composition and color contrast. Focus seems a bit softer compared to Frankie pics which are amazing. Was this deliberate ?

Not sure if it is the HDR processing what you mean ...if you look at it in full size it is a quite sharp one even in the corners

Upvote 0
Looks like a great lens. Interestingly, when I went to look it up a lot of places, DPReview included, called it the "12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM II." However, [url=http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/12-24mm-f45-56-dg-hsm-ii1]Sigma's website does not include the "EX" designation. I'm not sure there's enough in the way of differences to really warrant the loss of the EX moniker - but in the end it means nothing in particular.

About the church picture - some closely-packed blue and red effects on some areas (especially on the polished surfaces of the wooden pews) does give the impression of loss of contrast. The image looks great however.

I'm seriously interested in this lens! It looks great for both APS-C and full frame.

Upvote 0
A

AdamJ

Edwin Herdman said:
Looks like a great lens. Interestingly, when I went to look it up a lot of places, DPReview included, called it the "12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM II." However, [url=http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/12-24mm-f45-56-dg-hsm-ii1]Sigma's website does not include the "EX" designation. I'm not sure there's enough in the way of differences to really warrant the loss of the EX moniker - but in the end it means nothing in particular.

This lens no longer has the EX designation. The only reason for this is that Sigma has decided that, from now on, EX lenses must have a constant maximum aperture. Be assured, though, this lens is EX quality.

Upvote 0
J

J. McCabe

savale said:
Looks like some have corner sharpness troubles at 12mm... What are the alternatives in the same focal length / price range?

AFAIK, there are three alternatives -

* Sigma 8-16mm on an APS-C body. Uncertain regarding quality.

* Defish a fisheye lens (circular, diagonal, maybe Samyang 8mm stereographic fisheye).

* If the subject is static, stitch photos from a longer lens.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.