sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS (The new one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone got one of these? i'm looking for some reviews

my questions to any owners

wondering how it is for AF speed say vs the 70-200 f2.8L IS II
sharpness though the range image quality?
do canon mkIII TC fit onto these?
build quality? I have the 85mm f1.4 is the build and finish the same?

i found this review but it doesnt really cover what i'm chasing
Sigma 120-300 F2.8 OS Review with Sample Images

edit: I found this review wich is a bit better
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/sigma_120-300os_review.html

I bought the lens 3 months back based on a number of reviews, including this one here:

http://webservice.gentec-intl.com/GentecInc/Awards/OS120300HS-sigma_120-300mm_review_john_e_marriott.pdf

My experience with the lens has been similar to John's - it's tack sharp right through the range, only slightly (virtually unnoticeable) less wide open. I use it on a 7D - which effectively removes the 'soft' edges. I know it takes the Canon TC's, however, I use the Sigma 1.4 and 2.0 - reviews suggest the difference between the Canon and Sigma TC's are marginal and for the cost difference I went with the TC's made for the lens. Of course you have the slower autofocus that comes with any TC and if you're far out of focus (complete blur) I have found it needs to be brought in manually (only happens in the extreme for the 1.4).

I don't have a 70-200 so can't compare - some say the Sigma is sharper, others say it's close, all I know is that it's damn sharp. AF is fast (though apparently just slightly slower than the 70-200, but again I haven't compared them first hand).

Build quality is nearly to L standards (with the only downfall being that the front element apparently isn't weather sealed - for wet or dust conditions I use a UV filter, just in case). Focus and zoom are smooth and everything feels solid. Mine shipped from Australia to Canada - the box was really banged up after 10 days of travel though airports and customs. Consequently I made sure to test it thoroughly to be sure the OS, AF and IQ were all perfect. No problems - it appears to have taken a beating and still function as designed.

I use it primarily for wildlife and there are two things I have been surprised with: 1. the OS works so well that I use this lens handheld more than on a tripod. 2. I use the zoom more than anticipated (as I was considering the 300 2.8 it appears I made the right choice).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
As someone who bought one noted, it does not dovetail with other f/2.8 focal lengths, so one should ask how it fits into their overall scheme of things before buying it and then asking what lenses do I buy to go with it. That focal lenght definitely does not mesh with Canon f/2.8 lenses, I'm not sure it does with Sigma either, and Sigma does not really have top quality lenses that form a 3 or 4 f/2.8 lens system.

Upvote 0
both shot handheld with the 120-300 os, minimal processing.

the heron (shot this morning): 300mm f3.5 iso400 1/1600s 50% crop (os wasn't switched to pan, but it didn't appear to affect the outcome significantly).

the squirrel (the first 'real world' test shot when I got the lens): 200mm f2.8 iso200 1/640s

Attachments

• heron.jpg
    heron.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 5,759
  • squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 3,255
Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
As someone who bought one noted, it does not dovetail with other f/2.8 focal lengths, so one should ask how it fits into their overall scheme of things before buying it and then asking what lenses do I buy to go with it. That focal lenght definitely does not mesh with Canon f/2.8 lenses, I'm not sure it does with Sigma either, and Sigma does not really have top quality lenses that form a 3 or 4 f/2.8 lens system.

Not exactly dovetailing, but that unique range is the genius of the lens, according to some lens critics (TDP, Lens Rentals, et al). I am not telling you anything you don't already know in saying most people don't have ALL mm's covered by lenses.
This one is very interesting. I was very curious about it a while back, but we have very little in the way of high-end "try it out" camera stores where I am. If I'd had an opportunity to try one out first, (and seriously liked it) I might not have bought my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, even though I'd have a hole between 55mm and 120mm. Not having actually tried it, I guess I have to sit down and shut up.

Upvote 0
see i kind of have 2x 70-200 f2.8L IS II lenses (one for me and one for my wife)
now since i got the sigma 85 i use that lens more and when i'm shooting long i tend to use the 300f4L more
so i was tossing up the idea of selling my 70-200 and getting the 120-300 since if 120 is too long i'm probably going to be using the 85 a 50 or my 16-35

thanks for the feedback,

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
darth mollusk said:
both shot handheld with the 120-300 os, minimal processing.
the heron (shot this morning): 300mm f3.5 iso400 1/1600s 50% crop (os wasn't switched to pan, but it didn't appear to affect the outcome significantly).
the squirrel (the first 'real world' test shot when I got the lens): 200mm f2.8 iso200 1/640s
Sheesh you must be Mr Muscles! The Sigma AF 120-300mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM DG OS (isn't that a nice long name for a lens?) weighs in at a beefy 2950g vs 2400g for the Canon 300 f/2.8 vs 1490g for the 70-200 f/2.8isII. Hand-holding the Sigma would deliver the dual advantage of being a great lens and a gym weights workout rolled into one. As an 80Kg weakling, I'd be packing the monopod. The 70-300L is a svelte 1050g.

I was very interested in this lens about a year ago when the new OS model started shipping, but there was so little information about it that I let the whole thing slide. But if it works as advertised, it's a very compelling lens. I have read that the older model Sigma 120-300 actually does not make it all the way to 300mm, it's more like 280 at the long end. Is this also true of the 120-300mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM DG OS?

At just a bit over $2k it's very very tempting. http://www.shopbot.com.au/m/?m=Sigma%20AF%20120-300mm%20f/2.8%20APO%20EX%20HSM%20DG%20OS

PW

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
darth mollusk those shots are really great seams like a pretty awesome bang for buck lens
also out of interest what bag do you have that fits that in? i dont think my current bag will hold it
I was going to get a gura gear but they have extortionate shipping charges

thanks - those results are relatively typical for this lens, on the 7D it certainly rivals the canon equivalents (70-200 and 300 2.8 ). pwp is right - it is a beast, weighing in at nearly 3kg, but consider that you get a sharp f2.8 at 300mm with the ability to zoom back (it's surprising how much you'll use it). I bought a blackrapid strap for it, screws right into the tripod mount, so the lens sits comfortably at my side. My arms certainly will burn out relatively quick (I weigh in at a slight 80kg as well) - but the lens is only up for 20-30 seconds at a time. I find I'm slightly quicker without the tri/mono-pod (depends on the situation of course). I had it on the tripod today to shoot my wife running an adventure race... a good example where f2.8 was essential for low forest light and the zoom got me twice as many shots.

I bought the f-stop sartori - absolutely brilliant bag, relatively expensive, but you get what you pay for. geez - sigma and f-stop should be sponsoring me for this. the Sigma 120-300 fits vertically, attached to the 7D body, inside the large ICU along with my tokina 11-16, 430ex, extension tubes, tele-converters and the 50mm 1.8.

Not sure about the actual focal length - whether it's less than 300 or not? keep in mind also that Sigma have (at least historically) a reputation for suspect quality control - so there may be a risk that you'd acquire a bad copy (likely low - but be aware). for that reason I bought it new and tested it thoroughly - my copy was sharp.

Upvote 0
I got the Sigma earlier this year, with the intention of it giving me more reach when the 100-400L doesn't cut it. Primarily used on 7D, the AF is reasonable but not super fast. IS is strong. f/2.8 is a bit softer than stopped down where it perks up and remains great. That can make it a little challenging hand holding 600mm f/8 balancing ISO and shutter speed if I want the best quality. I can feel my arms getting stronger already. It is easily usable hand held, but the question is more for how long?

On focal length, an ideal 300mm f/2.8 would have an aperture of 107mm. The Sigma uses 105mm filters so they had to... do a bit of number rounding somewhere. But all the lens manufacturers do that to some degree, including Canon.

To me, I don't care if the range doesn't tie in with others in my collection. I pick them for coverage of the task at hand, so outdoors I usually pair it with a 15-85 on 2nd body in case I need much wider angle.

The only other lens I can compare it with is the Canon 300mm f/2.8 (no IS) which from memory the AF speed was similar. The Canon had far worse vignetting though, sharpness comparable for a given aperture setting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.