Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art @ LensTip

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Jopa said:
lkunl said:
I found some astro shot at sigma website. It's just 6mp not full size but coma look good.
https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_14_18/impression/

Very impressive pictures! Yes, shot on a 5dsr and reduced to 6Mpx... why??? :)

Also: from Sigma corporate. ::)

It's up to you, but you might want to wait for non-commissioned work.

- A

Upvote 0
So i just updated my post with some astrophotography:
http://striking.ch/essays/

Conditions were less than optimal, we have summer right now and the city is not that far. But it should suffice to check if this lens might suit your needs.

Full resolution jpg and raw at the bottom of the post.

If you have any comments or wishes feel free. Astrophotography is absolutely not my field and I have nothing to compare the shots to.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
natek, I detect strong decentering in your copy of the lens. hence your issues you are refering to:

1. Honestly, I found it hard to focus. When I focused in the middle of the frame, the corners were worse than that.
2. And each corner seemed to need a slightly different focus to get optimal results.

top left corner exibits a pronounced coma aberrations whilst the top right corner is less affected.

I woud strongly suggest to either replace the lens ( if available) or get the lens fixed under warranty. I am sorry. hope it helps.

natek said:

Conditions were less than optimal, we have summer right now and the city is not that far. But it should suffice to check if this lens might suit your needs.

If you have any comments or wishes feel free. Astrophotography is absolutely not my field and I have nothing to compare the shots to.

Upvote 0
natek said:

Thank for your sample pic. It's look like a coma of 14mm/1.8 is a bit better than Sigma 20mm/1.4 and not good as Samyang 14/2.4 XP but i really impressed with low vignette of 14mm/1.8.

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
natek, I detect strong decentering in your copy of the lens. hence your issues you are refering to:

Thanks, I was also thinking about that. Will test some more tonight, and also with f 2.8.
But luckily, SIGMA Support is very good where I'm at, so I don't expect too much problems if i have to exchange this copy.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
actually, not quite correct. as this copy of the lens exibits decentering issues, you should look at the best corner available: top right corner. it is virtualy coma free! and just to be fair, let's not forget that you compare Sigma at F1.8 to Samyang at F2.4. That is nearly a full stop of a difference.

lkunl said:
..It's look like a coma of 14mm/1.8 is a bit better than Sigma 20mm/1.4 and not good as Samyang 14/2.4 XP but i really impressed with low vignette of 14mm/1.8.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
SecureGSM said:
actually, not quite correct. as this copy of the lens exibits decentering issues, you should look at the best corner available: top right corner. it is virtualy coma free! and just to be fair, let's not forget that you compare Sigma at F1.8 to Samyang at F2.4. That is nearly a full stop of a difference.

lkunl said:
..It's look like a coma of 14mm/1.8 is a bit better than Sigma 20mm/1.4 and not good as Samyang 14/2.4 XP but i really impressed with low vignette of 14mm/1.8.
Decentering is very alarming. I remember Samyang 24 1.4being reported as having similar issues. Shame...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
do not be alarmed, my friend. not enough meaningful data available yet. wait for lensrentals review. they do test for copy to copy variation and decentering routinely. I for one, do not believe that decentering being a "signature" issue of this lens. It should be no worse than 12-24 Art lens and that one is a very solid performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZ1ngpWJc8

tron said:
SecureGSM said:

lkunl said:
Decentering is very alarming. I remember Samyang 24 1.4being reported as having similar issues. Shame...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
SecureGSM said:
do not be alarmed, my friend. not enough meaningful data available yet. wait for lensrentals review. they do test for copy to copy variation and decentering routinely. I for one, do not believe that decentering being a "signature" issue of this lens. It should be no worse than 12-24 Art lens and that one is a very solid performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZ1ngpWJc8

tron said:
SecureGSM said:

lkunl said:
I do hope you are right :)

Upvote 0
Alas, coma is not as great as hoped for, but it is within parameters that I can live with. I think that an aperture of 1.8, and vignetting of only 2 EV in the corners makes up for the slight coma shortcoming. This was confirmed to me by some star shots posted in another thread. Sharpness is also pretty good. Basically I'm sold on this lens for my Astro work at 14mm. Lenstip seems to agree, calling this lens the perfect astrophotographer's companion in the comment section of their review.

As a bonus, stopped down to f/5.6, it will make a great landscape lens. I would not hike with it though, given the weight. And I know the lack of filter options will bother some, polarizer is the only filter I use with some landscape images. Soon enough there will be an adapter from somebody.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
The LensTip review is out. Their copy definitely has coma.

Sure it has coma, but it's really quite low.

Personally, I'm sold. I can live with coma like this in the extreme corners at 1.8. And at 2.8 it will absolutely rule the field of astrophotography. Coma virtually inexistant (Lenstip only shows it at 2.5, but it gives an idea), under 1 stop of vignetting (!) where the Samyang (both of them) and Irix have between 3 and 4 stops.

Another great job by Sigma :)

Upvote 0
NorbR said:
Sure it has coma, but it's really quite low.

Personally, I'm sold. I can live with coma like this in the extreme corners at 1.8. And at 2.8 it will absolutely rule the field of astrophotography. Coma virtually inexistant (Lenstip only shows it at 2.5, but it gives an idea), under 1 stop of vignetting (!) where the Samyang (both of them) and Irix have between 3 and 4 stops.

Another great job by Sigma :)

LensTip shows that the coma at f/1.8 is definitely there, but it is better than the 20mm Sigma. Enjoy your new lens!

Upvote 0